Why do people say weight loss is all about diet?

Options
Lets say you are fat and eat 3000 calories a day. Then say you start doing exercise everyday and burn 500 cals a day. You will eventually start losing weight right? So there you go, exercise equals weight loss. And you still eat the same 3000 cal diet. Some people might get hungrier because of the exercise and eat back the cals but I think its a hell of a lot easier than doing no exercise and trying to eliminate calories every which way. Thats where people break down mentally.
Just a thought I had

Replies

• melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    i w ont lose weight eating 3000 calories ........ and burning 500 um no...........
    everyone is different
    noone should be eating 3000 calories
  • Cese27
    Cese27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    What's going to happen to me as I'm eating 3500 cals a day ? Will I explode?,saying no one should eat 3000 cals is abit short sighted as you don't know what everyone's goals/targets are
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    i w ont lose weight eating 3000 calories ........ and burning 500 um no...........
    everyone is different

There are plenty of people that routinely eat 3000 calories due to their fitness goals and routine.
    Lets say you are fat and eat 3000 calories a day. Then say you start doing exercise everyday and burn 500 cals a day. You will eventually start losing weight right? So there you go, exercise equals weight loss. And you still eat the same 3000 cal diet. Some people might get hungrier because of the exercise and eat back the cals but I think its a hell of a lot easier than doing no exercise and trying to eliminate calories every which way. Thats where people break down mentally.
    Just a thought I had

Because in the absence of exercise, you can still lose weight but even with exercise, without proper calorie calculating, you can still gain weight.

Exercise can aid weight loss but only eating can cause weight gain AND loss depending on calorie intake.
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    For me, it was way easier to cut back on portion sizes and go for nutritional-value-per-calorie than to exercise. I bet I lost five pounds just from cutting out the daily cream in my coffee. It was easier to adjust something I did daily (meals) than to add a new activity into my day. I've been adjusting that as I go because it's easier to not be lazy about exercise as the weight comes off. It's not hard for a person to eat more calories in one minute than s/he can burn in half an hour.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    A lot of obese people eat that many calories. Exercise is the first step to weight loss in my opinion. Once you start to move more, your body craves more nutrient dense foods. It sort of goes hand in hand. Fuel for performance, in a sense.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Lets say you are fat and eat 3000 calories a day. Then say you start doing exercise everyday and burn 500 cals a day. You will eventually start losing weight right?

Depends on your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. If it's below 2500 and you're eating 3000, then no, burning 500 calories per day through exercise won't help you lose weight. That's why weight-loss depends mostly on diet. Exercise can increase your TDEE and allow you to eat more, but there is still a calorie threshold. Eat above it, you gain. Eat below it, you lose.
  • tootoop224
    tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I just think, for most people, it's easier to not eat those 500 calories, than it is to burn them. I know it is for me.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Plus you can start by cutting out sugar in your diet (which can be very hard) or working out and still eating that sugar. They both will have a similar affect on sugar in your body, but one will be easier to do from the beginning.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I don't recall hearing anyone saying it's "all about diet" but your thought is correct. If you create a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. You can reduce intake or increase burn through exercise but most of us choose to do both.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    everyone is different

9fW17XS.gif

3000 calories is under my TDEE. Thanks for letting me know I'm doing it wrong
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    everyone is different
    Olympic Gold Medalist Michael Phelps reports having eaten 8,000-10,000 calories a day. If you move enough, you can do it.
  • DavPul
    Options
    Just a thought I had

so you think finding a way to fit 45 mins of working out, plus showering and getting redressed is a hell of a lot easier than not eating a donut? or having 2 slices of pizza instead of 4? doesn't compute.

yes, exercise will get you there but it's much, much easier to lose weight when your diet is under control. Plus what to do during breaks from working out because of injuries/time/vacation/life?
  • knitwit0704
    knitwit0704 Posts: 376
    Options
    Lets say you are fat and eat 3000 calories a day. Then say you start doing exercise everyday and burn 500 cals a day. You will eventually start losing weight right?

Depends on your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. If it's below 2500 and you're eating 3000, then no, burning 500 calories per day through exercise won't help you lose weight. That's why weight-loss depends mostly on diet. Exercise can increase your TDEE and allow you to eat more, but there is still a calorie threshold. Eat above it, you gain. Eat below it, you lose.

But if you burned 750 calories per day, you WILL lose weight.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Because diet is the CORE of weight loss. Master the diet, do nothing else and it works. It's the first step.

Then you can get into everything else. I think most of us that got into this on our own had to realize this part first.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    weight loss is all about lifestyle change. Diet denotes a temporary state in which you are deprived of certain foods, carbs, etc.

Watch the movie forks over knives.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I agree, diet is the core of weightloss. You CAN eat 3,000 calories if you work out enough daily, but if you eat complete garbage what do you think will happen? You won't be healthy.. and that SHOULD be a reason to lose weight.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Exercise is about fitness. Diet is about weight control. Without controlling your diet it doesn't matter what exercise you do. You can still be fit and fat (though you are still in danger of fat related illnesses) just look at some NFL football players
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I just think, for most people, it's easier to not eat those 500 calories, than it is to burn them. I know it is for me.

Me too. It's a lot easier for me to say no to a donut and latte than it is to do intense cardio for two hours.

Exercise is important for my overall health, but for weight loss, it's easier to eat smaller portions than it is to burn off larger portions.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    weight loss is all about lifestyle change. Diet denotes a temporary state in which you are deprived of certain foods, carbs, etc.

Watch the movie forks over knives.

Is it better than Police Academy 4?
  • DavPul
    Options
    I agree, diet is the core of weightloss. You CAN eat 3,000 calories if you work out enough daily, but if you eat complete garbage what do you think will happen? You won't be healthy.. and that SHOULD be a reason to lose weight.

false