Replies

• chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    use coupons and shop sales
  • baja572
    baja572 Posts: 94
    Options
    dried beans....place in crock pot night before and soak in warm water.. turn up in morning and done when you get home,
  • Gmtribble90
    Gmtribble90 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    coupons. match them up with store sales, and weekly specials. get a coupon binder.

This is what I do!

YES!!! Coupons and coupon matching allow me to purchase food for 3 adults PLUS put some food into my emergency stockpile for only $200/month OR LESS (depending on the sales when I go and the coupons I have on hand). This includes produce, meats, snacks, organic, etc. Without couponing, I would be broke...
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Because they are expensive and make claims that are bogus. Thoroughly research their products. Their organic isn't always organic, their all-natural isn't always all-natural. They makes these claims to people who DON'T read labels and jack up their prices. The normal family cannot afford to buy solely from Whole Foods, Trader Joes, etc. I buy better foods from my local co-op and farmers markets. When I need something that isn't at the co-op or farmers markets, I go to Walmart or Kroger, their prices are better than anyone else around me.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Because they are expensive and make claims that are bogus. Thoroughly research their products. Their organic isn't always organic, their all-natural isn't always all-natural. They makes these claims to people who DON'T read labels and jack up their prices. The normal family cannot afford to buy solely from Whole Foods, Trader Joes, etc. I buy better foods from my local co-op and farmers markets. When I need something that isn't at the co-op or farmers markets, I go to Walmart or Kroger, their prices are better than anyone else around me.

This was sup to quote why NOT to shop at whole foods...

Do you have evidence to back up what you are saying. I would much prefer to buy from Wholefoods than Walmart. Normally I shop at Costco, Wholefoods, Harris Teeter, Safeway, (Giants - when I can to it) and Trader Joes for my
    100% cranberry juice.

I read the labels of everything before I buy and I only buy natural stuff. I would be more skeptical of Walmart selling me some that they claim to be natural than Wholefoods. And expensive is relative. What is expensive to you, may be normal price to me. It depends on the individual's pocket book. For example, I only eat wild salmon, even though it is more expensive, I refuse to buy something cheaper like "farm raised" salmon or tilapia. On the other hand, I cook all my meals form scratch and also bake all my cakes etc. I do buy cheaper stuff, but there are some things that I absolutely refuse to buy that is cheaper - for example "gold medal flour" or any white flour.
  • ncbeachprincess
    Options

Do you have evidence to back up what you are saying. I would much prefer to buy from Wholefoods than Walmart. Normally I shop at Costco, Wholefoods, Harris Teeter, Safeway, (Giants - when I can to it) and Trader Joes for my 100% cranberry juice.

I read the labels of everything before I buy and I only buy natural stuff. I would be more skeptical of Walmart selling me some that they claim to be natural than Wholefoods.

If you have access to an educational database, then yes, all of this can be verified. When I was in college, I had to do a research paper on marketing strategies and claims within the organic/natural food industries. Unfortunately, I am no longer at this university and don't have access to the database of info, but all of my information came from journal articles, all peer-reviewed and recognized.

All I am saying, is by reading the labels, you can get the same product at any other store, at a fraction of the price.

Just a scenario that shows that off-brand is really brand name in an uglier package...
    Walmart sells Great Value Reduced Fat Turkey Bacon for around 2.18 here in NC. I was inputting my food for yesterday, scanned the barcode for MFP, and it showed up Jenni-O Reduced Fat Turkey Bacon, which sells for 4.88 at my local Walmart. Walmart is NOT the best place to find the healthiest foods but there are definitely cheaper options than Whole Foods. If the consumer can properly read a label, then this isn't a secret.
  • thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Options

Do you have evidence to back up what you are saying. I would much prefer to buy from Wholefoods than Walmart. Normally I shop at Costco, Wholefoods, Harris Teeter, Safeway, (Giants - when I can to it) and Trader Joes for my 100% cranberry juice.

I read the labels of everything before I buy and I only buy natural stuff. I would be more skeptical of Walmart selling me some that they claim to be natural than Wholefoods.

Not sure where You (Socajam) or the person you quoted are from but I think this walmart stuff is some sort of Suburban thing...Ive lived in an urban setting for hmmmm 20 or so years not including cause and Ive shopped fine without walmart...and not to mention "Made In China" isn't the greatest sight to see every time you blink your eyes.
  • ksnel3
    ksnel3 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Onceamonthmom.com <--- I don't know what I'd do without her. Lol
  • thinklivebefree
    Options

If you have access to an educational database, then yes, all of this can be verified. When I was in college, I had to do a research paper on marketing strategies and claims within the organic/natural food industries. Unfortunately, I am no longer at this university and don't have access to the database of info, but all of my information came from journal articles, all peer-reviewed and recognized.

All I am saying, is by reading the labels, you can get the same product at any other store, at a fraction of the price.

Just a scenario that shows that off-brand is really brand name in an uglier package...
    Walmart sells Great Value Reduced Fat Turkey Bacon for around 2.18 here in NC. I was inputting my food for yesterday, scanned the barcode for MFP, and it showed up Jenni-O Reduced Fat Turkey Bacon, which sells for 4.88 at my local Walmart. Walmart is NOT the best place to find the healthiest foods but there are definitely cheaper options than Whole Foods. If the consumer can properly read a label, then this isn't a secret.

I dont get your arguement? Jennie-o is not natural or organic or non-gmo sorry to laugh but...lol
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Prices have gone up considerably since I pulled this one off, but for over 3 years I managed to feed 3 adults (at like 5), and still make all the critical utility and mortgage bills. Here's how I pulled that one off:

Meats -

Would buy a LARGE brisket and slice it down into steaks, 1 or 2 roasts (the thick end), and what was too thin to work for a steak, ground up into hamburger. We'd get about a week's worth of meat for around $37 dollars, and a wide variety of meat CHOICES - steak/roast/hamburger. Don't buy the trimmed briskets - too expensive for the quantity, take the time to trim it out yourself.

Large Turkeys - especially in season. Get it home, and cut it down. Again, we'd grind some of it down for ground turkey.
    Lots of chicken - usually because the chicken quarters were so cheap, we'd be able to get 10 - 20 pounds of chicken for around $10

When you get the meat home, cut up and roughly ready for a meal, freeze it. One of the roommates had a deli slicer, so we didn't have to get lunch meat - cook a turkey breast, or one of the brisket steaks, and then we could slice it down for sandwiches.

Plan your meals around a set of simple staples - we tended to plan around the meat, mostly because we couldn't agree on which veggies we wanted. And, we had a small garden patch in the yard that I never knew what would come out of. The other roommate insisted on trying to grow all of the veggies, but the poor garden was pitiful, with lousy yields.

Veggies -

Buy seasonal - and farmer's markets are a good option, just check your low cost grocery stores first. I've seen too many times where the farmer's market is quite a bit higher than the grocery store.

Again, figure out a few main staples - tomatoes are a nice versatile veggie, onions, garlic (though I actually prefer to buy the powder/granules from the store). Leafy veggies are all right but can quickly run the cost up through the roof.

With these two staples, figure out how to add some variety. Dollar stores are a nice go-to in this instance. Rammen noodles can make a wonderful addition to the pantry - usually cheap, quick fix, and can store for ever. And, you can make these in any desired quantity per person, which lets you tailor how much you are using per meal. (Replace the box spaghetti) Mac and cheese are also a nice go-to for meal variety.

Dairy -
    If you are on a budget, try to stay away from cheese, milk, and yogurt unless you can get it for a reasonable price. (Most stores prices are NOT reasonable) or unless you have some assistance for kids.

Eggs are great, and you can often times get them in bulk. Plan on using half of them for boiled eggs, the other half to be split as fillers or meals them selves. Bulk up your ground meats with an egg or two. Makes 1/4 pound of meat bulk like it is a full 1/2 pound.

I am not a big one on soup or stew, so the food choices I tended to cook revolved around VERY rich pasta based foods. I looked into ethnic foods. Often times, when you are looking at setting up the menu, if you will look at ethnic menus, you can find some good ones that don't have a ton of ingredients, but are rich. Take advantage of these, especially if most of the ingredients are common parts of your regular menu. And, when you work around a set of basic staples, you will find the bulk buying is a little easier on the wallet.

For the spices and household goods that are NOT groceries - price shop for a few weeks. Find the places that are regularly the best buys for bulk, and plan on dong a lot of shopping there. Dollar stores are usually pretty good about having most items in small quantities. So, if you need just a little - go there. If you use something regularly - look into Sam's or Costco. The upfront cost may be a bit surprising, but then you don't have to get that item again for a nice long while, and if you average out the unit cost, it's usually less.

Hope this helps.
  • ncbeachprincess
    Options

I dont get your arguement? Jennie-o is not natural or organic or non-gmo sorry to laugh but...lol

I didn't use the Jenni-O reference as a healthier reference, it was simply saying that just because something is cheaper, doesn't mean it's crap.

And when you live in a rural area, then you are stuck with Walmart being the closest store to you, and that's even 12 miles away. That is why in my original posting, I said farmers markets and co-ops, because that is easily accessible to me.
  • ncbeachprincess
    Options
    Lots of chicken - usually because the chicken quarters were so cheap, we'd be able to get 10 - 20 pounds of chicken for around $10

SO miss the days when chicken was that cheap. When I first moved out on my own, chicken was the ONLY meat, ever, that I could afford. I could get a family pack of legs, for like $2-3, and it would last me 1-2 wks. Just reminiscing....
  • thinklivebefree
    Options
    You said!! and I quote lol

This was sup to quote why NOT to shop at whole foods... "

Meaning the ORIGINAL ARGUMENT WAS Organic vs Non-Organic

And then compared Great value turkey (NON-ORGANIC ) Turkey, Mechanically Separated Turkey, Sugar, Salt, Water, Flavoring (Salt, Sugar, Maltodextrin, Natural Smoke Flavor, Spice), Sodium Phosphate, Smoke Flavoring, Sodium Erythorbate, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Sodium Nitrite TO Jennie (NON- ORGANIC) Mechanically Separated Turkey, White Turkey, Dark Turkey, Water, Salt, Contains 2% or Less of Potassium Lactate, Natural Smoke Flavoring, Sodium Flavoring, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrite.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW RBSHIPES!!!! IM LOST AS TO WHAT YOU ARGUMENT IS! AND PLEASE DONT SAY (CO-OP, FARMERS MARKETS ETC) because thouse arent always organic
  • thinklivebefree
    Options
    Oh almost forgot versus........... Turkey (Turkey Never Administered Antibiotics or Animal By-Products. Vegetarian Grain-Fed), Water, Contains Less than 2% of the Following: Sea Salt, Celery Powder, Maple Sugar, Onion Powder, Spices.....APPLEGATE TURKEYBACON!!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    1.coupon match up with store ad
    2. buy generic
    3. stock up whentheres a sale
    4. shop at sav alot/ aldis. etc......
    5. use store loyalty cards to earn free items
    6. ground turkey instead of hamburger/turkey franks instead of hotdogs
  • ncbeachprincess
    Options
    You said!! and I quote lol

This was sup to quote why NOT to shop at whole foods... "

Meaning the ORIGINAL ARGUMENT WAS Organic vs Non-Organic

And then compared Great value turkey (NON-ORGANIC ) Turkey, Mechanically Separated Turkey, Sugar, Salt, Water, Flavoring (Salt, Sugar, Maltodextrin, Natural Smoke Flavor, Spice), Sodium Phosphate, Smoke Flavoring, Sodium Erythorbate, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Sodium Nitrite TO Jennie (NON- ORGANIC) Mechanically Separated Turkey, White Turkey, Dark Turkey, Water, Salt, Contains 2% or Less of Potassium Lactate, Natural Smoke Flavoring, Sodium Flavoring, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrite.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW RBSHIPES!!!! IM LOST AS TO WHAT YOU ARGUMENT IS! AND PLEASE DONT SAY (CO-OP, FARMERS MARKETS ETC) because thouse arent always organic

Fortunately my locals farmers have to provide proof of their organic status or cannot claim their products to be organic. Organic is more expensive, but organic and natural foods can be found at other retailers besides Whole Foods, at a much cheaper price. Whether or not the food is processed or not, name brand or generic, I am stating that Whole Foods is expensive and mark up their prices for no reason at all, based on research and other retailers costs.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    the term all-natural is nearly non-regulated by the FDA, and almost any kind of food can qualify as "all natural."

this article is lengthy, but good. he goes off a little on the dangers of carbs, but other then that, informative.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/06/27/how-to-not-get-scammed-by-food-labels-plus-were-hiring/
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    * Shop at ALDI
    * Shop the sales (Example--wait until carrots are on sale to buy them)
    * Use coupons
    * Make a list before you go to the store. . . and stick to it.
    * Buy fresh fruits and vegetables in season (they cost more out of season)
    * Do not shop when hungry or else you will buy what you don't need.
    * If you still have some of the item at home, then do not buy more of it. . .
    * If you normally spend $10 for a fast food meal; use that $10 to buy more food at the grocery store. Buy items that add up to $10. You will wind up have at least 2 or 3 meals instead of the 1 fast food meal.
    * Eat fast food only one day a week.
  • LexiAtel
    LexiAtel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I do monthly shopping every month, with a stop here and there for stuff that wont make it through the month like cottage cheese and fruits.

You need to SHOP around, it's called shopping for a reason. Make a list on what your family needs/consumes then spend a day or so price checking stores (within a 40 mile radius), if you live in a rural area, you will benefit far with this, but if you live in a city, you can pretty much so like a 5-10mile radius.

Document all your prices you found. You are looking for stuff that IS NOT on sale that way you can get a rough idea on what stores you will visit every month.

For example, when I first did this I had 6 stores to go to. Walmart, Town and Country, Richard Brothers Supermaket, Country Mart, and Aldi's. I made my list of things I needed, then visited each store, and next to the item, I marked the price.
    I found out that Richard Brothers and Town and Country in my nearest town of 3,000 people were ripping me off on about 90% of the items I needed. I also found out that the quality was 100x as worse as the other stores. When I went to the Walmart in the 3,000 population town, I found out I just didn't like going there, it was just TOO small and crowded of people (it wasn't a Super Walmart). Next, I went to a town (city) 40miles from my home to check out prices, I found the prices in that city of 10,000 people were much better than the one of the smaller town. So the gas was worth it. The quality of the meats and produce was better too.

It is 3 years later, and now I only have 3 stops every month. Country Mart for my meat, cereal, lemon juice, and an occasional ting here and there. Aldi's for most of my boxed items and all of my produce/dairy products, and then Walmart for my toiletries and non food items.

So, invest a little time at it, and you will get the savings you need, then keep an eye out for the deals. I also suggest not to shop at the end of your stores restocking cycle (they restock here on Wednesdays, so the freshest food is Wednesday-Friday), and probably not at the beginning of the month because that is when most welfare people get their checks, and you should see a price difference than that of in the middle of the month. It's terrible... ripping off poor people like that.

I live in Missouri. I feed 2 people who are dieting on $145 a month (this includes the extra shopping I have to do for things that wont last through the month). We have a lot of fruits and Cottage Cheese (we use like 5-8 tubs of cottage Cheese a month, lol).

Edit: I don't use coupons... I don't have access to coupons, so I don't use them...
  • emmarosegibson
    emmarosegibson Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I do a meal plan a week in advance do I'm literally just buying foods that I need and nothing more. I also do my shopping online do I'm not tempted by any sales in the supermarket! I also buy own brand things rather than the popular brands x