This is part of the problem.

Options
LorinaLynn
LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
Anyone who knows me even a little on here knows I'm a big fan of heavy lifting and what it's done for my body. And I'm fighting hard to go show that it doesn't make women bulky or manly or anything other than awesome.

But it does still tick me off when I see posts - mostly from guys, or women who've been involved with fitness and lifting for years - say that women are "afraid" to lift heavy, or "why do these stupid women keep believing that crap?!" (regarding light weights, high reps).

This is why. This is a page from the latest issue of Shape magazine, in an article about how to get a beach body, and it's typical of what women see in mainstream media. This is what we've been exposed to. Itty bitty dumbbells. I'm pretty sure I'd get a better workout holding up my 1500-page Diana Gabaldon book while floating in a raft in the pool than using those dumbbells.

1014361_10200521673936751_638834581_n_zpsbdc3bfc8.jpg

It's typical mainstream fitness advice. You never, ever see barbells in these kinds of magazines. Ever. What do most women see using barbells? Men. Big strong beautiful muscular men, who we might enjoy looking at, but don't want to look like. And sometimes the stereotypical "Arnold in a bikini" steroid using female body builder. Even when we see a fitness model on the cover of a fitness magazine, she's holding little dumbbells. (Which I understand, because it's really hard to look magazine-pretty while holding a heavy weight!)

It wasn't until I joined MFP, and saw other women talking about lifting and seeing their results that I thought, "Hey... why not?!"

It's not fear. It's not stupidity. It's lack of exposure.

And telling people they're afraid or stupid isn't going to sweeten them on the idea.

Replies

• raingirl21
    raingirl21 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with you. Advertisements shape our thinking (unfortunately) so it's good to see the truth that lifting is a good thing!
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    It frustrates me to see these kinds of articles in EVERY women's fitness magazine. I agree that it is lack of exposure. When all you've had crammed down your throat for the last 50-100 years is that women shouldn't do anything more than dumbbell exercises, it just becomes ingrained in people's heads.

PS Until seeing it in the fitocracy database, I never knew dumbbell deadlifts existed. I would've needed some pretty large dumbbells even when I was just starting out to really have pushed myself doing deadlifts with them.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I nearly applauded when I read a UK Men's Health article about "What you can learn from your woman's workout" featuring photos of (albeit scantily clad and tartily made up) women hefting serious iron.

Weirdly, the workouts aimed at the target male audience show comparatively weedy weights, unless it's a half naked celebrity, ideally in the desert, throwing, say, monster truck tyres about. In case anyone was wondering why I subscribe to Men's Health...
  • Juelz2013
    Juelz2013 Posts: 33
    Options
    I agree women can lift heavy and it won't make you bulky, unless you take growth hormones! Light weights high reps doesn't do anything for me! I lift heavy and do HIIT 4 to 5 days a week. Training like that will give you a sexy body along with eating right :wink:
    I like to be strong so I can do pull ups, muscle ups, and lots of regular push ups! Also shape & fitness magazine are crap, I like muscle and fitness hers and most oxygen issues. I think oxygen has fallen off a bit since Robert Kennedy died! :grumble:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's crazy how prevalent this stuff is still.
  • RelativeChaos00
    RelativeChaos00 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I keep running into women who don't want to hear anything different, though. They want to believe that 2 lbs dumbbells and the eliptical will make them look fit and toned. You try to tell them that they'll see better results with real weights and they don't believe it. It's not just the guys that fall for bro science!
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I've been reading a couple of magazines here in the UK that have women lifting barbells and deadlifting them :) They are the ones I've cut out to stick in my notebook :)
  • jillleanne
    jillleanne Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Although I have absolutely NO argument against heavy lifting, I don't understand why women doing high reps with light weights bothers you (or anyone). It is a good place to start for many people, as its not really intimidating, and the ability to injure yourself is probably much less, especially when you are pretty out of shape to begin with.

That being said, I completely agree that more heavy lifting articles would probably encourage a lot more women to give it a shot at the gym, and would help to dispel the myth that lifting heavy makes females "bulky". Its ridiculous that people still believe that. However, i would suggest that the idea that heavy lifting is the only way (or even the best way) to tone up and look good is misguided. The fact is, people are getting off the couch and making an effort to be healthy. So who really cares how they do it?
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    On the other side of the coin....there are a lot of people on MFP that would have you believe that you can't sculpt your body without lifting heavy. I spent a long while feeling very frustrated by the prospect of never having a fit and toned body no matter how much effort I put in because I am unable to lift heavy due to health problems - but I'm so over that now that I'm starting to see some real changes in my appearance.

What would be nice is for people to have all the information. Lifting heavy won't make a woman bulky and may well tighten you up more quickly but there are also alternative ways to achieve the figure you want.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Although I have absolutely NO argument against heavy lifting, I don't understand why women doing high reps with light weights bothers you (or anyone). It is a good place to start for many people, as its not really intimidating, and the ability to injure yourself is probably much less, especially when you are pretty out of shape to begin with.

I don't think anyone in this thread, or in general, complains about women using light weights/high reps. it's that light weight/high rep is what is constantly pictured in women's fitness magazines and thus becomes seen as the "acceptable" way to lift weights. There is no balance in these magazines--there are not women pictured lifting barbells or doing anything remotely close to what we think of as "lifting heavy". This imbalance that is constantly reinforced in the media plays into women's fear of becoming masculinised by coming into contact with an olympic barbell and some heavy weights, and reinforces women's negative attitudes towards weight lifting and I think going even beyond that, being really physical.
    That being said, I completely agree that more heavy lifting articles would probably encourage a lot more women to give it a shot at the gym, and would help to dispel the myth that lifting heavy makes females "bulky". Its ridiculous that people still believe that. However, i would suggest that the idea that heavy lifting is the only way (or even the best way) to tone up and look good is misguided. The fact is, people are getting off the couch and making an effort to be healthy. So who really cares how they do it?

I don't know why you think people suggest lifting heavy is "the only way" or "the best way" to get in shape and look good. It is the most efficient way to retain lean body mass and reshape your body, if that's what you're after. Period. Sure, you can change your body by running or hopping on the elliptical, or curling 4 lb. dumbbells for 100 reps, but those are not the most efficient or effective ways to go after those sorts of goals.
  • NotThePest
    NotThePest Posts: 164
    Options
    Here's the deal, women can lift heavy but the models they are using can't 'cause they are not fit. For that reason the weights are always teeny tiny. :laugh:
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Must admit my latest woman's running mag has pictures of Women lifting light weights. I always want to scream at them that you can lift heavier than that. I have also heard time and time again at the gym from women not wanting to tough the weights as it will make them bulky.

I would love to see some pictures of women lifting heavier.
  • LorinaLynn
    Options

It bothers me because there's no other options shown to the average woman.

And it bothers me that the exercise they show, and the headlines to go with them ("Get a bikini body in just five moves!") won't work. No one is going to look like the fitness models in the magazines doing the routines they show. And then the woman whose arms didn't get jiggle free, whose abs didn't get tight, whose hips didn't get slimmer, as promised by the magazine, is going to feel like crap about herself because she feels like a failure and a freak.

I've been that failure and freak. It sucks. I thought there was something very wrong with me, that I was stuck having a frumpy, lumpy body, because none of the stuff suggested in magazines did a damn thing for me. I did the kinds of exercises suggested in magazines (but more than the "in just 10 minutes a day!" quantities they suggest), and ended up with a flat, deflated *kitten*. I would have just thought, 'Well, what do you expect? You're middle-aged," until I gave heavy lifting a try.

IMG_1293-copy_zps4b1f37b1.jpg

But you're actually missing the point of my mini-rant in the original post. It's not "this is why women should lift heavy," it was "this is why more of them don't." Because many of them don't consider it an option because it's something they were never exposed to, and coming on a site like this and being told they're stupid and chickenpoop isn't helpful.

And, yes, I do understand that it's best to start off with a lighter weight, but the point of heavy lifting isn't "RAWR! Pick up this barbell loaded with every plate we have RIGHT NOW!" It's starting with a weight that's something that's a challenge, but something you can lift with good form and control, then adding more when you can. If you need to start off with small dumbbells, then start there, but I really don't think *anyone* is going to be challenged by deadlifting something that weighs the same as a pair of kittens.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    i agree 100%. it wasnt till i friended people like u and some other motivating people on MFP, along with reading NROL4W and diving into the program, that it opened my eyes to the benefits of heavier lifting. now im addicted- but i never believed it before!
  • shoshi68
    shoshi68 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting is awesome. Your butt is awesome, OP.

If heavy lifting is not for you (you've been injured, you don't want to, whatever) don't do it. Although the OP's butt looks like a good reason to give it a try, if you can.

It's a shame mainstream magazines don't provide clear evidence-based research, but they are into selling "beauty" products, not truth.

Heaven forbid women find out they are strong and fierce, and don't need some stupid voodoo cream to help them get a fabulous *kitten*.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I read an article somewhere from a guy who used to run one of the fitness magazines. He was talking about how frustrating it was to photoshoot these exercise stories, because they hire female models for the way they look, not for their ability in the gym. Some models are so weak and uncoordinated, they simply can not do any exercises whatsoever. Sometimes they have to fake the pictures, or they just give up and show the exercise with awful form.

The lesson being, you don't get to look like the model by doing the exercise the model is doing in a magazine. Chances are, the model doesn't do that exercise. She might not even know how to do that exercise.
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    I also wanted to add that my two main forms of exercise - running and lifting - aren't because I'm some kind of turbo-charged gung-ho athlete. It's because... I'm lazy and don't like exercising very much. It's not my life, it's what I do to make the rest of my life more enjoyable. Just like shaving my legs. I don't like doing it, but I like having smooth legs.

I do what I do because it's the fastest way for me to get the results I want.

The calorie burn I'd get from walking 4 miles is about the same as I'd get from running 3 miles. But it'd take me at least an hour to walk 4 miles, and a half hour or less to run 3 miles. Ain't nobody got time for that! :laugh:

All that matters with weight lifting is that you lift to failure, whether you go light or heavy. I'd be bored out of my skull if I lifted a 5 pound dumbbell enough times for me to reach failure. I just want to pick things up, put them down, and get it all over with.
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread... And I love your attitude, OP! I hate shaving my legs too! Also, nice *kitten*!
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    OP, you have a great body shape!

I'm long and lean, and more a fan of cardio exercises than anything else. However, I've recently started adding more leg and glute exercises, because I want shapelier calves, hips and butt. I have grown fond of stair climbing, and even boosted my stair workout to "every other step". Tonight I took a long bike ride outdoors and made it a point to pedal up some really hard hills.

I have no desire to lift weights - it just looks boring to me. Nor do I run -- again, boring.

My Zumba classes give me an all over workout - cardio and strength training. My shoulders and arms have toned up just from that.
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    I also wanted to add that my two main forms of exercise - running and lifting - aren't because I'm some kind of turbo-charged gung-ho athlete. It's because... I'm lazy and don't like exercising very much. It's not my life, it's what I do to make the rest of my life more enjoyable. Just like shaving my legs. I don't like doing it, but I like having smooth legs.

I do what I do because it's the fastest way for me to get the results I want.

The calorie burn I'd get from walking 4 miles is about the same as I'd get from running 3 miles. But it'd take me at least an hour to walk 4 miles, and a half hour or less to run 3 miles. Ain't nobody got time for that! :laugh:

All that matters with weight lifting is that you lift to failure, whether you go light or heavy. I'd be bored out of my skull if I lifted a 5 pound dumbbell enough times for me to reach failure. I just want to pick things up, put them down, and get it all over with.

I agree totally with the running and lifting because it's the fastest way to get the results I want...Running burns a ton of calories and is great cardio and lifting heavy builds muscle and tones and helps to burn more calories...very well said!