challanges with low weights, high reps....not a good idea?

hello! im new to weights and just trying to figure some stuff out :) im in the middle of doing the fb challenge for arms, and the ones for abs. they use relativley low weights ( im doing them with ten lbs) and increase dramatically in reps throughout the 30 days ( think squat challenge that is on MFP) I see a lot of threads about lifting heavy with low reps to get the best bulk. Im tring to tone up and loose inches, not neccasarily bulk up. What kind of results will I achieve with these challenges??? are they a waste of time? im done week one and ive lost an inch off of my waist and 3/4 an inch off my arm, so im quite happy with those results so far. I should say I have at least 35 lbs left to loose, eat at a deficite and do at least 30 min of cardio (elliptical and/or circuit training) 5 times a week

Replies

• reach4thestar
    reach4thestar Posts: 174 Member
    Bump..
  • Toomestwin
    Toomestwin Posts: 40
    The thing that's left out of those heavy lifting/low reps threads is that you also need to pack in some 5-6,000 calories a day in order for that to work, and it needs to be the right balance of proteins and carbs not just scarfing down everything in sight. Your body needs fuel to bulk up with. Also, men bulk up because of their testosterone and other factors that date back to primitive survival. Not that women can't bulk up, but they have to work harder and take supplements to get the same results.

Heavy lifting/low reps is still a good workout technique. But it's not going to automatically bulk you up. It will make you stronger.

Seems that sticking to your current routine is a good idea for now simply because it's working. You'll get lots of different advice, but what works for me is to stay with the same routine until I get bored or find myself just going through the motions. Then I change it up. Sometimes I'll go months with the same routine; other times I'm changing every couple weeks until I find the right set of exercises. My rationale is simple: if my heart's not in it, then I'm not going to get the results I'm looking for.
  • sugaree1202
    sugaree1202 Posts: 184 Member
    Women don't bulk up like guys - we just don't have the same testosterone levels - unless there's serious weight training, supplements and extreme diet involved. I've experienced better toning and definition without bulk by lifting heavier weights for less reps compared to less weights/resistance for more reps. That's not to say less weights at higher reps doesn't work, I've just personally had quicker and better results the other way around and currently strength train 3 days a week by reaching failure in 10-12 reps. An added benefit of increased lean muscle mass is that your body will burn more calories since muscle burns more calories than fat for your body to maintain it. This will boost your weight loss.

If the challenge exercises don't take that long to complete, how about adding in 20 minutes (or the difference of 30) 3 days a week and try heavier weights for less reps. Exercises that work both your upper and lower body are efficient for overall toning like combining a deadlift with a squat. You'd be surprised how much weight you can use for exercises that target larger muscle groups like your back & legs :)