NSV: Now a Zumba instructor!

Options
That's right...despite my weight gain this week, I wasn't going to let that hold me back from going to my Zumba Basic 1 training, and I am officially a licensed instructor! The day was a long one, and I am getting tired (at 11 p.m. on a Saturday...gotta love it!), but I don't regret going despite the fact that I won't be ready to teach for a while. I just have to practice and get my CPR/first aid certification. At first I didn't want to take the plunge because there are so many instructors in my area, but then I figured if I networked and learned the best techniques for teaching/retention, then I could really do good.

Plus, it is empowering to get through a day like the teacher training. For those of you that haven't taken it, it is a LONG day with lots of Zumba-ing and moving around. Like I said, I am tired, but the fact that I could make it was thrilling to me! I think this will be the motivation I need to get back on the wagon and forget about my gain this week. If I gained all that in a week, it can come off!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    That's right...despite my weight gain this week, I wasn't going to let that hold me back from going to my Zumba Basic 1 training, and I am officially a licensed instructor! The day was a long one, and I am getting tired (at 11 p.m. on a Saturday...gotta love it!), but I don't regret going despite the fact that I won't be ready to teach for a while. I just have to practice and get my CPR/first aid certification. At first I didn't want to take the plunge because there are so many instructors in my area, but then I figured if I networked and learned the best techniques for teaching/retention, then I could really do good.

Plus, it is empowering to get through a day like the teacher training. For those of you that haven't taken it, it is a LONG day with lots of Zumba-ing and moving around. Like I said, I am tired, but the fact that I could make it was thrilling to me! I think this will be the motivation I need to get back on the wagon and forget about my gain this week. If I gained all that in a week, it can come off!
    Is it my understanding then that it only takes 8 hours to become an instructor then? Even though kboxing isn't needed as a certification (most group exercising classes don't), I spent 240 hours attaining it which included workshop time and actual time of simulated instruction and testing on kicks, punches, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ThePinkPenguin
    Options
    Yeah it was only an eight hour workshop. But make no mistake, my ZES emphasized how important it is to get CPR certification (which I will be getting before I apply to teach anywhere) and recommended a group exercise certification. I would like to do get group exercise at some point, but I don't have time right now. I have to put my energies into my primary job for a few months, which, you know...pays for all this fun Zumba stuff and other necessary certs!
  • pinme13
    pinme13 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You will be an inspiration to whom ever you teach!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Yeah it was only an eight hour workshop. But make no mistake, my ZES emphasized how important it is to get CPR certification (which I will be getting before I apply to teach anywhere) and recommended a group exercise certification. I would like to do get group exercise at some point, but I don't have time right now. I have to put my energies into my primary job for a few months, which, you know...pays for all this fun Zumba stuff and other necessary certs!
    CPR is important because one probably won't be allowed to instruct without it. Get an accredited on by say the Red Cross.
    Group instruction certification is much more tolling because of all the information you need to know before taking and passing the test. Anyone that's new and hasn't done physiology or anatomy may get overwhelmed with all the material, so consider the amount of time (at least 1 hour a day) to read and study for a few months.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • KeishaJo
    KeishaJo Posts: 45
    Options
    That's wonderful!!!! CONGRATULATIONS :)
  • k_stanway
    k_stanway Posts: 11
    Options
    Congratulations, I did the training three days after finding out I was pregnant and spent the whole day trying not to throw up. :happy:

I dont teach it now as a stand alone class though, the area is far to saturated with instructors. I incorporate it into other classes I teach, and teach it at the high school i work at!

TBH, I felt the whole day was geared at getting me to spend more money - join Zin, buy instructor gear, buy more music. A day long Zumba class with the hard sell thrown in!
  • ladylocker
    ladylocker Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Check out www.refitrev.com. These ladies started out as Zumba instructors & have grown into so much more. They are starting an instructor/facilitator program.....Wonderful concept!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!