What happens if I'm over on my protein?

Options
Kminor67
Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
I started this website about a week ago, and it seems that I am consistently over on my protein allowance. If I stay within the guidelines on the other categories (sugar, carbs, fats, etc.) am I hindering my ability to lose weight? Are there health consequences in eating too much protein? I did some research, and I'm getting mixed messages. What do you guys think?

Replies

• ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Nothing protien is great for you that is one thing you should not worry about going over. I think it is set to low anyhow.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    As long as you are under 30% of total calories going over on protein is fine. MFP defaults to 15% protein, many users find 15% too low and increase to 20-25%
  • atalikami
    Options
    it will actually help you to maintain muscle mass so if anything its a good thing
  • kerrikdavis
    kerrikdavis Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    As a personal trainer, I think the protein recommendations on here are very low. I consistently go over the protein every day. You will probably need more if you are active anyway. I wouldn't worry about it. :)
  • adcoursey
    Options
    i agree with the other posters - you are probably looking at low allowances to begin with.
    but since you asked about consequences, if you go EXTREMELY over, like 150g or more of protein a day - you can suffer from some pretty bad headaches. just keep drinking that water!:drinker:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    More than 40% of your diet consistently for a long time would cause kidney problems but I'm pretty sure if you haven't changed any of the custom goal stuff, you're at about 15% per MFP's automatic setting. You could set it to 25-30%.
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i agree with the other posters - you are probably looking at low allowances to begin with.
    but since you asked about consequences, if you go EXTREMELY over, like 150g or more of protein a day - you can suffer from some pretty bad headaches. just keep drinking that water!:drinker:

I NEVER eat less than 150 g a day. Usually between 180 and 200. Every day. I never have headaches.

To the OP, the macro settings on this website have carbs way too high (55%) and protein way too low (15%). You can change this by going into goals and clicking on the Custom button, where it will allow you to change the percentages. I have my protein and carbs both set at 40%, but I'd even be willing to go as high as 50%. Most people that need to lose weight would be better served by eating fewer carbs (30-40%) and more protein (40-50%). The more overweight you are the more true that is.
  • king6083
    king6083 Posts: 30
    Options
    I consume 200-250 grams of protein every single day. The only studies I've ever seen that protein is bad for anything is for kidneys and those studies are done on people with damaged kidneys to begin with. Too much protein isn't a concern for most people, it's too much glucose that people should worry over.

Edit: The site really should fix the default macros. The ones on here by default aren't all that dissimilar to what a farmer feeds their cows to fatten them up.
  • ShaneT99
    Options

Edit: The site really should fix the default macros. The ones on here by default aren't all that dissimilar to what a farmer feeds their cows to fatten them up.

Ha! I've never thought it but that's very true!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • kickitlarson
    kickitlarson Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Too much nitrogen in your blood which causes drowsiness, overworking of the kidneys, leeching calcium from the bones causing osteoporosis, dehydration, kidney stones, aggravates allergies, cardiovascular disease (from meat proteins), diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure, just to name a few.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I consider the protein and fiber recommendations as minimums, so I try to exceed them everyday.

I consider the calorie and fat to be maximums and try to stay within them.
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Protein is great for you as it keeps you feeling satisfying as well a repairs your body from the wear and tear of daily activities. exceeding your goal by a small amount is most likely ideal. i know that days i have protein left over, i know that i either ate like crap, or am going to feel like crap. it sounds like you're meals are fine. keep up the good work!
  • ShaneT99
    Options
    Too much nitrogen in your blood which causes drowsiness, overworking of the kidneys, leeching calcium from the bones causing osteoporosis, dehydration, kidney stones, aggravates allergies, cardiovascular disease (from meat proteins), diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure, just to name a few.

How much protein are you suggesting it would take to cause all of that? I'm thinking it would have to be a LOT. As noted above, I eat a lot of protein and have shown no evidence of any of those problems.
  • kickitlarson
    Options
    Long term over 30%. Of course you don't know if in 5-10 years you will develop any of these things because of the food choices you are making right now...just the chance we all take. Increasing protein without increasing exercise/weight training does nothing to increase muscle mass...strength training/physical activity is the only thing that does this. Protein poisoning is actually much more common then we realize...we just call it different things depending on how it shows up in the body.
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I agree with mindelicious, too much protein causes strain on a variety of organs and body systems. Based on courses I've taken to be a personal trainer the protein recommendations are fine unless you are working out strenuously for more than 1 hr.
  • king6083
    king6083 Posts: 30
    Options

I aint trying to argue, just wondering if you could point me in the direction of some studies on this. I mentioned above the only ones I could find were on damaged kidneys and the osteoporosis being a result on RAL (not enough veggies to go with the protein).

Help, please. :)
  • kickitlarson
    Options
    The China Study...most recent I've read and tons of different info regarding the subject. I've read tons of others but don't have them linked or anything....will try to find some later today.
  • ShaneT99
    Options
    I'd like to see those studies too if you don't mind posting them here (not that I doubt you, I just doubt the 30% number). I do agree with you that people who are not strength training do not need as much protein as those who do, but generally speaking I think if more people in our country ate more lean proteins and less processed carbs (actually less processed foods in general) then we wouldn't have the obesity problem that we have today.
  • ababygrace
    ababygrace Posts: 123
    Options
    I work for a supplement shop and have many friends that compete in fitness shows. The recommended amount of protein for a person is 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. So if you weigh 150lbs than you take in 150grams of protein. It won't hurt to go over because it is just feeding your muscles.