43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
My hubby & I celebrated our anniversary. We were about to do a
nice old fashioned spaghetti meal loaded with mega cal/fat/carb/
sodium but after I danced around it, I spoke with him. He's easy
appeased, I told him the buffet would make me happy if it did him,
not very classy I know it. But we went and had a nice time anyway,
my point is .. I think I did far better than I would have @ an Italian
joint. I ate 2 small plates. Neither was more than 50% full. So I
deliberately ate small amounts and yet awoke only to sodium today.
I couldn't have done that a year ago. If I had eaten @ the Italian joint,
my plate would have been heaped and I wouldn't have stopped until
it was gone plus the basket of bread. For me this a huge change. :)

Replies

• 63hanson
    63hanson Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Good job! I find myself making much better choices when we go out to eat. I'm actually kind of surprised how easy it's been.
  • pchesnut
    pchesnut Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I went out to dinner with my family last night and we also ended up at an Italian restaurant. I could only guess at the amount of calories and carbs were in each dish. I finally ended up with a Greek salad and a grilled chicken breast. I do love carbs and especially bread and pasta but I am also finding myself able to resist because now when I eat them (after doing without for a period of time) my body says "uh...no...I don't like this anymore" and I end up with a stomach ache in the bathroom.

Even though I love the taste of those foods, my brain remembers the unpleasant feeling afterwords and it's enough to help me steer clear.

Good luck on your journey :-)
    Options
    I went out to dinner with my family last night and we also ended up at an Italian restaurant. I could only guess at the amount of calories and carbs were in each dish. I finally ended up with a Greek salad and a grilled chicken breast. I do love carbs and especially bread and pasta but I am also finding myself able to resist because now when I eat them (after doing without for a period of time) my body says "uh...no...I don't like this anymore" and I end up with a stomach ache in the bathroom.

Even though I love the taste of those foods, my brain remembers the unpleasant feeling afterwords and it's enough to help me steer clear.

Good luck on your journey :-)

Thanks PChestnut .. I think unlike you I might had lost the battle with such a good/healthy
    choice .. I was seriously lusting in my mind over a huge plate of spaghetti&meatballs.
    I've gotten rid of that fantasy since we did our outting, it's done. You sound like you are
    doing amazing at making the right choices .. can't wait to be more like you. Each day I get
    better. :)
  • andresconejo
    andresconejo Posts: 264
    Options
    Congrats! :D
    I truly hope to go to a kind of all-inclusive hotel this summer so i can test my self-control in the meal time, with that big fountain of desserts and international themed types of food!
    Options
    Congrats! :D
    I truly hope to go to a kind of all-inclusive hotel this summer so i can test my self-control in the meal time, with that big fountain of desserts and international themed types of food!

Thank you. :)
    That sounds like a fun time. I'm sure you'll do great!!
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I went out to dinner with my family last night and we also ended up at an Italian restaurant. I could only guess at the amount of calories and carbs were in each dish
    I went to macaroni grill with work a few weeks ago and was trying to pick something without wheat - I ended up ordering a couple tapas and when I looked up the cal counts for one (some sort of cheese wrapped in proscuitto which sounded great but wasn't really, the meatballs were great, though) it listed a ton of carbs and way more cal's than I had anticipated. After thinking about it for a while, i realized there was a bunch of crunchy flat bread/pita stuff next to it that I didn't eat! Weird.

Glad you enjoyed your dinner, even if it was at a buffet :)