Banana ice cream- must try!!!!

Options
lucyhross
lucyhross Posts: 87 Member
For all those who love bananas (i know there are some crazy monkeys out there who don't) and also love ice cream (like me- just cant get enough of it!)

here is an amazing recipe for banana ice cream.

ingredients: bananas

ok literally slice as many bananas as you like ( i use slightly over ripe ones (brown ones) as i dont like eating them raw when they arent yellow, so it also a good way of using up oldish bananas)

put the bananas slices in a plastic tub and shove them in the freezer

wait a couple of hours for them to freeze, then whisk them out and blitz them in a food blender ( a bit like baby food) . at first it looks a bit like bread crumbs ( well mine does) but keeping whisking until the banana starts to become creamy (basically ice cream texture) and a bit frothy.

if you are a bit more hygienic then moi scoop it out into a bowl- i just end up eating it out of the blender!

this is amazing stuff- i just love it! theres no need for sugar or anything- the bananas are just purrrrffect!!!

enjoy!

try it and let me know what you think

(i bet some of you have already know about it/done it- but in my eyes i am teh banana icecream queen- so feel privileged i have shared it with y'all ;)

Replies

• GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    Options
    I love bananas & have tried this & found it yucky unfortunately. The texture is off & I guess I just don't like frozen bananas - I know some people swear by it though!
  • lyn_2013
    lyn_2013 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Like! :)
  • thevegankelly
    thevegankelly Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    We tried this for the first time this week and now we're addicted. The first night I made it with 2 bananas and one cup of frozen strawberries, and a few nights later we made it with just bananas. SO GOOD! It totally satisfied the frozen dessert craving we had.
  • HealthyLeeLee
    HealthyLeeLee Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It's really yummy when you add cocoa powder, some vanilla and peanut butter (1 T is enough). It's so good! Had it last night :)
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I use frozen fruit to blend my protein powder all the time. Comes out a nice consistency, somewhere between soft serve and sorbet. And delicious, too.
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I've made it with just bananas, added pineapple or strawberries, added cocoa powder for chocolate banana, added nut butters for a almond or cashew flavour. So many options and my son loves it too.
  • nycoleyrides
    nycoleyrides Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It's really yummy when you add cocoa powder, some vanilla and peanut butter (1 T is enough). It's so good! Had it last night :)

This is one of my favs. I actually use one frozen banana, milk and peanutbutter. Fills me up and its thick and creamy.

I peel the banana and wrap in seran wrap. lasts a couple weeks. When ever my bananas get past perfect (any brown and they make me gag) I peel em and freeze em. Much better then adding ice cream for thickness.

I have hear of just adding coco to make other stuff.
  • barbd70
    barbd70 Posts: 35
    Options
    Here's Gwyneth Paltrow's Ice cream:

Banana "ice cream" with sweet-and-salty roasted almonds

4 ripe bananas, peeled and sliced into thin rounds
    1/4 cup finely chopped roasted almonds
    2 tsp. plus 2Tbs. good-qualty maple syrup, divided
    A pinch of coarse sea salt
    1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or soy or cow's milk), cold
    1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Freeze the banana slices in a single layer on a tray or plate lined with parchment or wax paper. Once the slices are frozen, use them immediately or keep frozen in a zip-top plastic bag or airtight container for up to a month. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the almonds with 2 tsps. of the maple syrup and the pinch of salt and set the mixture aside. Combine the frozen banana slices, the cold almond milk, the remaining 2 Tbs. of the maple syrup and the vanilla in a food processor and pulse until the mixture is the texture of soft-serve ice cream, scraping down the sides as necessary. Don't worry if the mixture is not totally smooth at first - once the bananas start to breakdown and defrost in the food processor, thay'll give in, and the "ice cream" will take shape quickly. Spoon the banana "ice cream" into bowls immediately and sprinkle each serving with a bit of the almond mixture.

Yield: 4 servings
    Per Serving: (1/2 cup) 181 calories, 38g carbohydrates, 3g protein, 4g fat (0g saturated), 4g fiber, 0mg cholesterol, 54mg sodium

This was in the news paper and I set it aside to try sometime. It can be changed any way you like. You might want to try low calorie syrup or omit it to cut calories.
  • 63hanson
    63hanson Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I use frozen fruit to blend my protein powder all the time. Comes out a nice consistency, somewhere between soft serve and sorbet. And delicious, too.

So do you just add a scoop of protein powder and blend? What kind of fruit do you use?