5 Ingredients or Less

Options
Being a College student I often find myself in the conundrum, which is having only a handful of ingredients to create a "healthy" meal with.. I was hoping we could all use this post and share healthy recipies we have that require 5 ingredients or less. Looking forward to what we get!! Pictures are also a big plus! :D

-The Night After Bfast Shake-
1) one cup of almond milk
2) half cup greek original yogurt
3) one banana
4) one scoop whey powder (ON extreme milk chocolate)
5) dash of cinnamon

*mix all in blender till smooth and serve as is or chilled on ice*

-Finals Week Southwest Chicken-
~will be half a weeks worth of lunch/dinner~

1) three pounds boneless skinless chicken tenderloins
2) twenty four ounces of your fav salsa
3) cup of wild rice or quinoa

*pour a bit of salsa at the bottom of a crockpot, enough to cover it.. then toss in all three lbs of chicken.. pour in the rest of the salsa and cover the crock pot.. cook on low for six hours or until tender, make sure you move around the sauce and chicken every two hours to keep things nice and flavored.. after cooking is complete, cook your cup of wild rice/quinoa and then top it off with some of that southwest chicken! refrigerate the rest to fuel you till that next exam!*

Replies

• JeremiahStone
    JeremiahStone Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    shameless bump
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, A tablespoon of chocolate peanut butter and 4 strawberries :D..Its so good
  • JeremiahStone
    Options
    Oatmeal, A tablespoon of chocolate peanut butter and 4 strawberries :D..Its so good

sounds good!! :D
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    1 scoop chocolate vegan protein powder, stevia (or brown sugar), almond milk, guar gum, and a ripe banana are my magical five ingredients. Combined in different ways, they can be pancakes, pudding, chocolate cake, ice cream, popsicles, cookies, or a thick protein shake.
    Honestly I can live off those five ingredients and a bunch of fresh or canned veggies for very little money :D
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    1 scoop chocolate vegan protein powder, stevia (or brown sugar), almond milk, guar gum, and a ripe banana are my magical five ingredients. Combined in different ways, they can be pancakes, pudding, chocolate cake, ice cream, popsicles, cookies, or a thick protein shake.
    Honestly I can live off those five ingredients and a bunch of fresh or canned veggies for very little money :D

Agree with the general idea here. Mine is a bit altered: oatmeal, protein powder, raw banana, almond milk, oatmeal and peanut butter. The versatility of oatmeal never ceases to amaze me. Sweet OR savoury. Good anytime of day.
  • sajeffe
    sajeffe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    1 cup fresh spinach
    1 large egg
    black pepper
    shredded cheese (any kind)
    1 sandwich thin (I use whole wheat or multigrain)

Saute spinach in small frying pan until it's cooked down. Add egg & cover. Toast your sandwich thin if desired. Flip the egg/spinach over. Top with cheese. Cover until melted.

I have a photo but don't know how to add it. :blushing:
  • GypsySoul_74
    GypsySoul_74 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    brown rice + grilled chicken + sautéed peppers, zucchini and onions.

(okay, admittedly, i top this off with a little garlic powder and soy sauce... but i'll cook a pot of rice and grill some chicken and chop some vegetables on the weekend so i can have healthy dinners all week to carry in my lunch/dinner bag or reheat at home. prep makes all the difference in the world when i'm in a time crunch)

oh! another one: whole wheat bread + cheddar cheese + sliced apple + sliced yellow squash + sliced turkey or chicken = a crazy delicious grilled cheese sandwich!! not even joking. sometimes i'll do onion in it, too. you can sauté the apple, squash and onion in the same pan you'll use to toast the grilled cheese to make them more tender & flavorful.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    More variations on the Crockpot Chicken that you make:

Chicken/splash of Worcestershire sauce/taco seasoning/tomato sauce/chicken broth

Chicken/frozen mixed veggies/cream of chicken soup/ a bit of onion soup mix/ - eat with biscuits

Chicken/poultry seasoning/cream of mushroom soup/any kind of small pasta/salt n pepper

Chicken/ stuffing mix/ cream of celery soup/ onions/ chicken broth
  • GypsySoul_74
    Options
    1 cup fresh spinach
    1 large egg
    black pepper
    shredded cheese (any kind)
    1 sandwich thin (I use whole wheat or multigrain)

Saute spinach in small frying pan until it's cooked down. Add egg & cover. Toast your sandwich thin if desired. Flip the egg/spinach over. Top with cheese. Cover until melted.

I have a photo but don't know how to add it. :blushing:

delicious!! i like to make something similar to this with the southwestern-style egg beaters (they have pepper, onion & spices mixed right in!)
  • JeremiahStone
    Options
    More variations on the Crockpot Chicken that you make:

Chicken/splash of Worcestershire sauce/taco seasoning/tomato sauce/chicken broth

Chicken/frozen mixed veggies/cream of chicken soup/ a bit of onion soup mix/ - eat with biscuits

Chicken/poultry seasoning/cream of mushroom soup/any kind of small pasta/salt n pepper

Chicken/ stuffing mix/ cream of celery soup/ onions/ chicken broth

<3 crockpot
  • GypsySoul_74
    Options
    crock pot: beef or pork roast (spread the top with horseradish), several halved potatoes, halved onions, bag of baby carrots. add enough water that the roast won't dry out, season to taste

crock pot chili: 1 lb ground beef / 1 medium onion / 3 15.5 oz. cans of beans (any type; i use garbanzo, black & kidney beans) / 2 16 oz. cans diced tomatoes / 16 oz. can of tomato sauce / 1 7-oz can chopped green chilies / 2 TBSP chili powder

dice the onion and throw it in a skillet with the ground beef to brown. once that's done, throw it in the crock pot with all other ingredients and let it simmer 6-8 hours. (i don't drain the beans; i do take the lid off of the crock pot for the last hour so the chili can thicken)
  • lklkl5
    lklkl5 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup oats
    1 tbsp milk (i use almond milk)
    brown sugar to taste
    1 egg
    handful of blueberries

stir together first four ingredients in a coffee mug (or bowl), lightly stir in blueberries.
    heat in microwave for 1 minute (some microwaves might need a bit longer)

NOM
  • 1Scientist
    Options
    Taco Chili

1 lb ground turkey
    2 cans diced tomatoes (I like the fire roasted garlic kind)
    1 can dark red kidney beans
    1 can corn (drained)
    1 pkg taco seasoning (light sodium)

Brown turkey. Add all ingredients to crock pot. Cook on low for 6 hours.

Makes 5 servings.

This is great to make and freeze. You can add jalapeños or any other vegetable you may want.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    -Finals Week Southwest Chicken-
    ~will be half a weeks worth of lunch/dinner~

1) three pounds boneless skinless chicken tenderloins
    2) twenty four ounces of your fav salsa
    3) cup of wild rice or quinoa

*pour a bit of salsa at the bottom of a crockpot, enough to cover it.. then toss in all three lbs of chicken.. pour in the rest of the salsa and cover the crock pot.. cook on low for six hours or until tender, make sure you move around the sauce and chicken every two hours to keep things nice and flavored.. after cooking is complete, cook your cup of wild rice/quinoa and then top it off with some of that southwest chicken! refrigerate the rest to fuel you till that next exam!*

I will have to try this one out!
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Taco Chili

1 lb ground turkey
    1 can corn (drained)

Makes 5 servings.

This is great to make and freeze. You can add jalapeños or any other vegetable you may want.

Sounds great!
  • JeremiahStone
    Options
    crock pot: beef or pork roast (spread the top with horseradish), several halved potatoes, halved onions, bag of baby carrots. add enough water that the roast won't dry out, season to taste

crock pot chili: 1 lb ground beef / 1 medium onion / 3 15.5 oz. cans of beans (any type; i use garbanzo, black & kidney beans) / 2 16 oz. cans diced tomatoes / 16 oz. can of tomato sauce / 1 7-oz can chopped green chilies / 2 TBSP chili powder

dice the onion and throw it in a skillet with the ground beef to brown. once that's done, throw it in the crock pot with all other ingredients and let it simmer 6-8 hours. (i don't drain the beans; i do take the lid off of the crock pot for the last hour so the chili can thicken)

that chili sounds amazing
  • JeremiahStone
    Options
    Taco Chili

1 lb ground turkey
    1 can corn (drained)

Makes 5 servings.

YES
  • made2wonder
    made2wonder Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    A tablespoon each: leftover shredded chicken, black beans, salsa, and shredded cheddar cheese on a whole grain tortilla. Fold in half and microwave for a minute, or till warm and melty.
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I made this meal this morning:

1/4 cup dry quinoa
    2 cloves minced garlic
    2 large shiitake mushrooms, roughly minced
    1 cup spinach
    2 eggs, whisked

1. Cook the quinoa over medium heat with a 1/2 cup water (add more if needed).
    2. Meanwhile, sautee the garlic and shiitake over medium-low heat in a large skillet until slightly browned. Add the spinach and cook for 30 seconds.
    3. Pour the whisked eggs over the garlic, mushrooms, and spinach. Let the eggs sit for 20 seconds, then scramble them together with the garlic, mushrooms, and spinach.
    4. When eggs are nearly done, add the cooked quinoa to the mixture. Stir and cook for about 30 seconds.

If you can stand to have one more ingredient, you can top this with shredded parmesan cheese if you like. :)