Anyone else like beer too much?

Options
Apparently I love beer too much. UGH Anyone else fighting this battle? Any tips other then not drinking? LOL

Replies

• paulstapleton
    paulstapleton Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Same hear
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    For me it's wine. The calories in wine could be my downfall.

But, fair warning, when you make a thread like this, invariably someone will call you an alcoholic and suggest you need to join AA.

When someone says they love twinkies or pizza or ice cream it's one thing, but when it's beer or wine, it's another.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I'm what some call a beer snob. I used to frink all those light beers, but a friend of mine self brews and now i like all these dark think beers. Yes it is hard especially in the summer.
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Apparently I love beer too much. UGH Anyone else fighting this battle? Any tips other then not drinking? LOL

If you want to lose weight, it's as simple as this: You have to live each day at a calorie deficit. Expend more than you take in.
    Once you set-up your daily caloric intake as well as your macros (carbs, protein & fat), you can fit in beer if it fits into your daily caloric intake.

What you can't do is ABUSE beer. That won't work with losing weight.

The choice is yours.
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    For me it's wine. The calories in wine could be my downfall.

But, fair warning, when you make a thread like this, invariably someone will call you an alcoholic and suggest you need to join AA.

When someone says they love twinkies or pizza or ice cream it's one thing, but when it's beer or wine, it's another.

They can say what they want. I do come from a long line of alcoholics. I don't believe I am, but to some people I might be. I can do without but I like the taste. I don't smoke, I prefer beer and I don't plan to give it up completely.

My main concern is trying to lose weight, so I'm looking for any tips. Like I have read on here this is a lifestyle and I want to be happy with my new lifestyle. Any encouragement and ideas are always welcome. Preaching however should be saved. No one is perfect and I believe we should all work on our own life instead of telling others how to live theirs.

Everyone has something they need to work on. I happen to know I have a lot. My eating habits, excersize and drinking. But I did give up smoking so that's a start.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    For me it works to keep the drinking to the weekends. There have been a few weekends that have ended up being just protein and beer. Just make sure to log every single thing and account for it.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I use beer as my cheat day food. Once or twice a month, I give myself license to go out, drink what I want and not worry about it. But the next day, I'm back in my macros and getting in my workouts. Hasn't stopped me from losing almost 100 lbs. You can still indulge, just do so less frequently.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    One thing you should NOT do. Try to eat less so you can drink more. You will end up very sick, with your head in the toilet. You have been warned lol
  • smileyng
    smileyng Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My husband and I were just talking about this. We don't drink a lot, but about every other weekend we seems to smash through our calories. Have you tried the Miller 64? We haven't yet, but are going to. He prefers craft beers (I'm more wine or mixed drinks), but we're willing to compromise for our goals. We've also decided that when we drink, we're going to alternate drink/water more religiously. It's not going to be easy.

Good luck!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Run more. Drink less beer but choose better brews. I'd rather have 1 very good 250 calorie IPA than 2 regular beers.
  • susanhiding
    susanhiding Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Run more. Drink less beer but choose better brews. I'd rather have 1 very good 250 calorie IPA than 2 regular beers.
    A friend of mine lost 200lbs eating good (for you) foods, drinking craft brews (1 or 2 beers/day or every other day), and running everyday. So it is possible :)
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    StrongAndHealthyMommy Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    GUILTY!!!!

my excuse: there is some protein in beer!
  • SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    What's "too much"? 1 beer a day? 6? If youre onn a diet and drinking more than 1-2 daily Id say thats excessive.

I love Sunset Wheat by Leinenkugels-but they are about 170 calories a pop.

You could cut that in half drink a shot of (whiskey, brandy, etc) on the rocks. I like my cheapo E & J vsop its about 85 calories a shot and doesnt make you feel bloated like beer may.

Ive had that 64 calorie been..its gross
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    I agree with Beachiron--one good lager and an extra mile is worth it.
  • HSokol
    HSokol Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Drinking in general is a problem for me. I love wine, beer and hard cider. I recently started incorporating it into my diet again (bc i didint drink for about a month and a half), but it is becoming a problem. I have so many functions coming up over the next month i am defintitely going to have to pick and choose which ones i drink at.
  • Christina8585
    Christina8585 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yup. I do like beer too much...
  • osubeam
    osubeam Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Beer is my downfall come Friday nights.

My advice for fitting in beer and still losing: being under your calories during the week. If you're a Microbrew fan like myself, having water with the beer helps me drink it slower. Also, Guinness is roughly 140 calories (as opposed to 220ish of other brews), avoid bar food if you're a social drinker, and really one or two beers is no worse than ice cream :)

Oh, I walk to the bar normally too so that helps burn calories!
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I love beer. Fit it into your daily calorie allotment just like anything else, and you'll be fine.
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Thankfully I'm one of those people that prefers Bud light or Michelob Ultra (my favorite). I don't need the more expensive beer, in fact I prefer a beer I don't have to chew. That is more my Husbands thing, and he doesn't have to lose any weight.

Also, I could never give up food for alcohol. I NEED Food. If I don't have food I feel ill. I'm hoping to start losing weight and then drink a bit less every week. Without giving it up completely.

So I'm always looking for tips and ideas. Anything useful.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Drink it and log it.

I usually abstain about 6 days of week and then go nuts on Saturday. Is it healthy? No.

Does it make me gain weight? No.