Should I weight train?

Options
I am currently going to the gym 3x a week. I burn about 400 calories each visit. I also do some strenght training on my upper. lower and core.

I started out at 254lbs and I have lost 12 lbs in about 30 days. My question is should I just consentrate on weight loss or should I continue to weight train. I would hate to get a rock hard body before losing the excess fat. Or will they work hand-in-hand??

Im confused....

59139.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Weight train!! Muscle burns additional calories, even at rest, so even if you can't see the definition, that muscle will be there to help boost your metabolism and increase the calories that you do burn while doing more cardiovascular exercises.

In addition, strength training exercises will improve your core, reducing the risk of injuries that could sideline your progress.

ANNNND..... having that muscle will 'tighten' your appearance. Even if you can't see a six-pack, having abdominal muscles will help the figure you DO have look better. (Firm vs. flabby.)

Great job on the weight loss thus far!!
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    yes start off slow...but once you have 10 new pounds of muscle your body will burn a pound a week extra without doing anything....It will burn 500 ca extra a day....and with exercise it will get easier to loose weight.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    as you gain muscle the muscle helps you metabolic rate. That means you will burn more calories while resting. So yes keep doing the strength training in addition to the cardio, Doing both will help you loose weight and the strength training will help you to not have flabby skin as you loose weight. And congrats on your weight loss so far you are doing great
  • kimhee03
    Options
    Hello! I am not a trainer at all but To loose as much as you can healthly, you should weight train. But with weights from 3lbs to 20lbs depending on what you are doing. I know in the last two months I added small hand weights and I have burned more fat and it has sped up my metabolism.....you don't want too much because yes, you can bulk up in the way you may not like. The smaller will burn, build lean muscle, and help you loose more...Now that's just my opinion.:wink:
  • jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    That was a question i had as well, i'm glad i read all the answers you received. i just started working out this week. good to know i can do weights too
  • micahman
    micahman Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yes and you will love the results. A lot of women don't want to weight train b/c they say they don't want muscle like men have. Well that wont happen, because we are diff then men (God made us that way) You will love the muscle instead of the flap anyway. Losing weight slow doing cardio & weight training is the best way to go.

Congrats on your weight lose so far. Your doing great. :happy:
  • mcdadew
    mcdadew Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes!

As has been posted above a few times, more muscle = higher metabolism = more weight loss. I have been weight training for a number of years.

Make sure look at how are eating and what you are eating, not just how much. 5 smaller meals a day. Also, try to take in about 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight. Don't be afraid that you will "bulk up." Unless you have the genetics of the Williams sisters it is impossble for a woman to "get big" unless they want to.

Another rule of thumb is to do cardio in the morning and training during the day. If you do it at the same time, train first then cardio. Your body will continue to burn additional calories from your work out during your cardio session.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Weight training is far more effective at burning fat than cardio alone.

Order of importance:

1. Diet
    2. Lifting weights
    3. Being active daily
    4. Cardio
  • Smyles2u
    Smyles2u Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!!! Flipipino wardog said it best, You will burn more calories even after your workout is finished!
    Like NIKE says "JUST DO IT" :)
    Good luck!!
  • micahman
    micahman Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Buy the way I think you should do cardio at least 5 days a week. I use to weigh about 300lbs over 18 years ago. I would lose 100 lbs then get preg. and lose the get preg. So on my 5 son at the age of 40 I had my tubs tied and got down to my goal of 154 working out. I have kept all of it off but 20 lbs and now I am working on that 20lbs again and again and again. LOL But I do believe this program will help me if I am just faithful to using it. But I really do work out 6 days a week 3 days of that is interval training with weights and cardio. I LOVE IT. Try if you can to get a personal trainer at the gym if not too expensive. If you have to pay over 20 an hour that is too much. The more classes you sign up for the cheaper it is in most cases.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I agree. You need some strength training to keep your muscles perky! :bigsmile: its good for soooo many reasons, not least the fact that our muscles shrink as we get older, which is why our metabolisms drop :noway:

It will take a good long while, and a lot of dedication, before you add bulk or get rock hard! Doesnt really happen for women unless they body build.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • pbap
    pbap Posts: 6
    Options
    Yes, indeed! Everyone should weight train. You don't need to lift alot of heavy weight. Recent info tells us that less weight with more reps does more for you. More muscle means you will burn more fat, and also you don't want to be losing muscle instead of fat when dieting. For women especially, weight training helps prevent osteoporosis--it keeps your bones strong! Keep up the good work and don't concentrate on pounds lost (muscle weighs more than fat), concentrate on how you look in your clothes. The scale is just a number.
  • freebirdsnsc
    freebirdsnsc Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    18 reasons to weight train

1. Weight training tones your muscles which looks great and raises your basal metabolism...which causes you to burn more calories 24 hours a day. You'll even burn more calories while you're sleeping.

2. Weight training can reverse the natural decline in your metabolism which begins around age 30.

3. Weight training energizes you.

4. Weight training has a positive effect on almost all of your 650-plus muscles.

5. Weight training strengthens your bones reducing your risk of developing osteoporosis.

6. Weight training improves your muscular endurance.

7. Weight training will NOT develop big muscles on women...just toned muscles!

8. Weight training makes you strong. Strength gives you confidence and makes daily activities easier.

9. Weight training makes you less prone to low-back injuries.

10. Weight training decreases your resting blood pressure

11. Weight training decreases your risk of developing adult onset diabetes.

12. Weight training decreases your gastrointestinal transit time, reducing your risk for developing colon cancer.

13. Weight training increases your blood level of HDL cholesterol (the good type).

14. Weight training improves your posture.

15. Weight training improves the functioning of your immune system.

16. Weight training lowers your resting heart rate, a sign of a more efficient heart.

17. Weight training improves your balance and coordination.

18. Weight training elevates your mood.

The proper way to lose weight and maintain is cardio three days a week and weight train 3 days a week resting one day

With weight training you shouldnt work your whole body at one time instead rotate your workouts

example first week

Upper body on M and F
    Lower body on wed
    rotating it so that the next week it will be
    Lower body and M and F
    and upper body on Wed

You need to give your muscles time to recover

I know what to do... how to do.... but for the past 12 years lost my discipline motivation and willpower....HONEY IM BACK and ready to work;-)
  • JuicyJBaby3
    JuicyJBaby3 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanks EVERYONE!!

I really appreciate the all the useful information and postive feedback. :smile: