1200.... exercise 600 calories=eat more calories ??

Options
is this right ?? x

Replies

• katmariew
    katmariew Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yes -- eat back your exercise calories.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    1200 + 600 = 1800 calories to eat for the day. You will maintain the same deficit as though you ate 1200 calories and didn't exercise and will still lose weight.
  • 123bree1997
    Options
    I don't eat all of mine back...
  • emzyloo88
    emzyloo88 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I never seem to eat them all back but i do try to eat some of them back. x
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I never seem to eat them all back but i do try to eat some of them back. x

Most people feel that MFP slightly over estimates their burn, I'd recommend eating between 80%-90% of the calories you burn during exercise. When you have too high of a deficit, the ratio of lean muscle mass to fat loss increases, this will eventually lower you metabolism and you may not look the way you expected once you reach your goal weight.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I don't eat all of mine back, either. I think some of the MFP exercise calculations are too high anyway. I eat them back if I'm hungry and don't worry about it otherwise.
  • chinalavy
    chinalavy Posts: 104
    Options
    If I'm going to use my exercise calories I try to use only 200 if possible I'm at 1200 daily calories so I will go up to 1400 but try to stay there anytime I have gone over I stay the same weight not bad but I need to lose so I try to keep it consistent.
  • dpdsouza
    dpdsouza Posts: 5
    Options
    Since I do not exercise regularly(come home late from work sometimes, othertimes I am tired) I have one rule for myself: Treat calorie deficit from diet and exercise separately. My calculations are based on the assumption that I will not get any exercise in a week and hence I need to cut 300 calories from my diet everyday. Any day I exercise I treat it as a bonus, but I dont count it into my records. It is a bit difficult to do it on myfitnesspal since they add up your exercise calories to the "calories you can consume", so I separete them in an MS excel sheet to know the difference.
  • katmariew
    katmariew Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I mean I don't eat every single one back. My elliptical workout claimed 300 calories but I KNOW that isn't true. It's about half that probably so I left about 150 calories uneaten today.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Don't overthink it. Eat back your calories until you're not hungry and don't feel guilty the next day if you ARE hungry and go over a little. In my opinion, you want to eat about the same amount every day and be at or under your net calories for the week. It sets up good habits, you learn to listen to your body, and you lose weight long term.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    1200 calories-600 calories = 600 calories.

Lets be real for a second: Do you feel that 600 calories is enough for you for the day? If no then you should attempt to eat some of the calories back. If you feel like 600 calories is fine and dandy...well. There you go.

But don't do the whole "I only eat if I'm hungry thing." If I only ate when I was hungry I'd take in around 800 calories on days I don't workout. I did it once, I have the 839 calorie log as proof.
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I eat most if mine back, and if it looks like my day is going to pot, I'll squeeze in a walk at lunch or after dinner. It's like a bank account for those times the lunch I brought to work is preempted by an unexpected meeting or lunch date.

I've been warned by a Dr., a nutritionist and my personal trainer to never net below 1,200. The all say its the bet way to ensure I'll gain the weight back if I don't strictly follow it, but worse in my opinion, my body will begin eating muscle. I work pretty hard to lose only fat, not muscle, so my sweet spot seems to be 1,250 NET.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    But don't do the whole "I only eat if I'm hungry thing." If I only ate when I was hungry I'd take in around 800 calories on days I don't workout. I did it once, I have the 839 calorie log as proof.

I agree. There's a lot to be said about just sitting down and eating on a regular schedule. It keeps you from snacking too much on the one hand and from undereating on the other. I will often think I'm not hungry, sit down for lunch or dinner, and realize as soon as I start that I am.

Oddly, but I think realistically, I have a much harder time eating all my calories in the summer than the winter. In the winter I tend to be cold a lot (which takes a lot of calories up), more sedentary, and eat food with more fat and carbs. In the summer I am more active, not cold (no air conditioning), and eat lighter. I was under my deficit by a whole day's worth of calories last week without being hungry at all (in fact, feeling stuffed after I eat a big meal), sitting down for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and snacking. But in the winter, I'll be right up to that last calorie. I have to watch my nutrition carefully to make sure I'm eating well if I'm not necessarily eating a lot.