Cardio AND strength or just cardio?

Options
Forgive me if this question has already been asked, but I'm curious.

I love (well, not "love" I can tolerate it.) cardio. I use my treadmill because It's far too hot and muggy in South Carolina now to go outside, I can crank out 3-5 miles a day.

I want to lose about 40-50 lbs but I don't know if I should be doing strength too, Does it matter? I loathe strength training, I cannot stand to do it for more than a couple minutes max. BUT, I am trying to turn over a new leaf, so if the majority of people here think both is best then by God that's what I'll do.

What are your opinions? Please and thank you!

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Technically you don't need to do either to lose weight...

Cardio increases your deficit so you can lose weight faster. Strength training makes you look awesome after you have lost the fat so you look firm and toned instead of just a smaller version of mush.

I did diet + cardio to get to 128 pounds and 25+% body fat and still looked and felt squishy. I did diet + cardio + strength training to get to 135 pounds and 22% body fat yet wearing smaller clothes than I was at 128 pounds.

It really just depends on what your goal appearance is, and if you care about being able to lift more than your purse.
  • nubian218
    nubian218 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Both because with strength you are leaning out plus you want be flabby after losing your weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Technically you don't need to do either to lose weight...

Cardio increases your deficit so you can lose weight faster. Strength training makes you look awesome after you have lost the fat so you look firm and toned instead of just a smaller version of mush.

I did diet + cardio to get to 128 pounds and 25+% body fat and still looked and felt squishy. I did diet + cardio + strength training to get to 135 pounds and 22% body fat yet wearing smaller clothes than I was at 128 pounds.

It really just depends on what your goal appearance is, and if you care about being able to lift more than your purse.
    THIS.

Old saying "You gotta hate being fat more than doing what it takes to get lean".

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Ideally.......both.

You may loathe the strength training but, if you stick to it, you're going to love the results.

Given the choice between going for a run and spending an hour on the weights I'd be heading out to put some miles on my shoes but the strength training compliments my running, helps me stay injury free and, frankly, I love the way I feel after a good workout....(not quite a runners high but close)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    cardio & strength!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Forgive me if this question has already been asked, but I'm curious.

I love (well, not "love" I can tolerate it.) cardio. I use my treadmill because It's far too hot and muggy in South Carolina now to go outside, I can crank out 3-5 miles a day.

I want to lose about 40-50 lbs but I don't know if I should be doing strength too, Does it matter? I loathe strength training, I cannot stand to do it for more than a couple minutes max. BUT, I am trying to turn over a new leaf, so if the majority of people here think both is best then by God that's what I'll do.

What are your opinions? Please and thank you!

eat enough protein daily and lift heavy weights. these 2 actions will help preserve as much muscle as possible while you are shedding 40-50lbs. your goal is to lose fat, right? well then you'll have to do something to help preserve your muscle. cardio won't do that, so you need to lift weights, and not those puny little pink 3lb dumbbells either.

set your daily protein goal at 0.85g/lb LBM minimum. use your cardio to help you get your deficit while still eating enough food to be full. do full body strength training workouts 3 days a week. you won't really gain muscle while on a deficit, but you should maximize the amount of fat to be lost while minimizing the amount of muscle to be lost.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    What is it you loathe about strength training? Are you lifting free weights, using machines or doing bodyweight exercises?

In answer to your initial question: do both with a biase towards strength over cardio.
  • sticky130
    sticky130 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm doing both at the moment, alternating between the two.

Lower body on one day, cardio the next, upper body next day, cardio the next and so on. When your losing weight you will lose some muscle and doing strength training helps replace some of this lost muscle and keep you toned.

Well it works for me!! :)

p.s have a day once a week where you rest completely!!