Cheat Meal Question

Options
Do you still consider it a cheat meal even if it didn't put u over your caloric goal for the day? Just wondering what other people consider a cheat meal?

Today I had an open face hot turkey sandwich with fries and some onion rings for supper. My calorie goal is 1700 per day and even though i ate that today Im only sitting at 1500 cals. I will prob have a snack later though.... I am over on my carb goal today and way under for the protein.

So how do YOU consider what's a cheat?

Thanks

Replies

• laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I consider a cheat meal something that messes with my macros, for example, eating way too much sugar or not enough protein in the name of delicious food. What you ate sounds like a pretty normal meal to me... maybe a bit high in processing and sat/trans fats, but if you're not exceeding macros or calories I don't see why it needs to be called a cheat. If your goals are eating raw or very clean or something then that's a diff story.
  • JRChadwick
    JRChadwick Posts: 52
    Options
    I have been increasing my workouts recently. I've been burning about 500-800 calories each time. My goal is to have a day where I increase it too 1,000 and then have a meal in one of my favorite restaurants that comes with a side of french fries.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I consider a cheat meal something that messes with my macros, for example, eating way too much sugar or not enough protein in the name of delicious food. What you ate sounds like a pretty normal meal to me... maybe a bit high in processing and sat/trans fats, but if you're not exceeding macros or calories I don't see why it needs to be called a cheat. If your goals are eating raw or very clean or something then that's a diff story.

This meal totally messed with my macros! Too many carbs and bad fat and not enough protein.
  • NicolleLindgren
    NicolleLindgren Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I count it as a cheat meal if I go over my calories and if it's around half or more of my total day's calories.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I don't use the word "cheat" because I think it perpetuates a weird relationship with food. Occasionally I decide to throw the calorie limit out the window for the day but even then I don't go that far over my usual goal. If you know you can eat whatever you want whenever you want, it makes it much easier to keep portions reasonable and to get back on track after a little food holiday.
  • Seefy7
    Seefy7 Posts: 11
    Options
    Cheat meals usually make people feel quite bad afterwards. I know when I used to have cheat days, the next day I felt horrible and would go for a long run to feel better about myself haha.

But seriously though, cheat meals are fine if you stay within your macros. I used to go a bit overboard and eat like 1000+ over my daily calorie intake. But these days I have them a lot more often. 1-3 times a week. I usually eat a tub of ben and jerrys a few times a week as long as it's within my macros and I'm not eating over my calorie intake.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    What are you being dishonest about? That's what cheating is
  • startheory
    startheory Posts: 63
    Options
    For me, a cheat meal is something that makes me go over my calorie intake for the day!
  • Jan3D
    Jan3D Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    How often do you all have a cheat meal? I had 2 cheat meals this week,although I made healthy choices eating out, I drank lots of wine.
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I really never understood the whole term of "cheat meal", but i guess i consider a "cheat day" to be any day where you just eat whatever, regardless of macro's or calorie budget. If you are still within your daily calorie budget, i don't consider that a cheat.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't go over my calories, I don't count it as a cheat/treat meal. I usually pat myself on the back for staying on track.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I really never understood the whole term of "cheat meal", but i guess i consider a "cheat day" to be any day where you just eat whatever, regardless of macro's or calorie budget. If you are still within your daily calorie budget, i don't consider that a cheat.

^^ This.
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I guess its a "cheat" if I have to undo my pants at the end of it. Or if I feel guilty....and bloated!
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    How often do you all have a cheat meal? I had 2 cheat meals this week,although I made healthy choices eating out, I drank lots of wine.

This month, it's been about once a week for a cheat meal. I've had a few cheat snacks too like freezies and some chips. Been on track good most days hitting under calorie goal and hitting macros give or take...
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I guess its a "cheat" if I have to undo my pants at the end of it. Or if I feel guilty....and bloated!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Cheat meal:

- If weight loss is your goal then stick within your daily calories. Be sure to do some kind of exercise that day to give you some buffer room with earned calories.

- if maintenance your goal you can go above calories, but keep fats as low as possible. Do same with exercise.

Cheat Day

- if weight loss is your goal I'd avoid a cheat day. If bulking/cutting a cheat day would be fine as long as you are doing some kind of intense exercise before hand. Expect calories to go through the roof!
  • theundead
    theundead Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Something super unhealthy I would eat out of the ordinary.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I would call it a "cheat" if I feel I am breaking any personal dietary guidelines I may follow
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    Cheat meal:

- If weight loss is your goal then stick within your daily calories. Be sure to do some kind of exercise that day to give you some buffer room with earned calories.

- if maintenance your goal you can go above calories, but keep fats as low as possible. Do same with exercise.

Cheat Day

- if weight loss is your goal I'd avoid a cheat day. If bulking/cutting a cheat day would be fine as long as you are doing some kind of intense exercise before hand. Expect calories to go through the roof!

My goal is fat loss by eating at a deficit and lifting heavy 3 times a week. So are you saying I should never cheat in order to reach this goal of fat loss. I wanna lose like 3-5% fat.
  • KellyyT
    KellyyT Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i say eat what you want if it's within your calorie goals for the day. why is it considered a cheat if you're within your goal, unless you ate 1500 cals worth of chocolate or ice cream? and a turkey sandwich?? your "cheat meal" sounds like a normal day to me!

i don't have "cheat days" or "cheat meals" because i don't understand them. i eat what i want, just less of it. or if i'm gonna eat it all, i better make up for it by running my *kitten* off because i try to stay accountable to my calorie count for the day.

it's tried and true: everything in moderation!