Breyers Fat Free or No Sugar Added?

Options
TOday i bought Breyers No Sugar Added ice cream which is 80 cals per 1/2 cup! (Amaziiing) but it has like 4 grams of fat or less, and the fat free one has 0 fats but like 13 grams of sugar, which do you think it's healthier?
I think i rather no sugar added since my fat intake is too low anyway..

Replies

• marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Breyers has an All Natural line out that I buy. It only has about five basic ingredients in it. Sugar is one of the ingredients but I think five ingredients is better than a list as long as my arm.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Lesser of two evils would be the no sugar added. Fat doesn't make you fat.
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options
    Ice cream isn't supposed to be healthy. Everything is okay in moderation.
    Except maybe Cyanide.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Gun to my head and had to choose.. the No Sugar one.
    FWIW, since I started my journey I don't pay attention to either fat or sugar when choosing ice cream. My main focus is price and flavor, although sometimes I will pay a little attention to 'unit cals' (calories per serving size in grams). I was shocked that some of the higher calorie or "gourmet" choices actually have a lower unit cal number that the lower cal versions.
  • FireStar0139
    FireStar0139 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The problem with the 'no sugar added' from what I understand is that they put a whole lot of chemically treated things in it in order to make it sweet instead. My dad told me he's started eating a coconut ice cream that's naturally sweet and its supposed to be better for you. Though I haven't done much research on it. In the end I'd go for the fat free, only because I used to eat it and it's really good. But I'm sure if I did more research on it ice cream in general would probably be ruined for me...
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Full fat all sugar.

Seriously, the no fat/no sugar stuff has other crap in it that is probably worse for you than fat, sugar and calories. Just eat it in moderation.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Breyers has an All Natural line out that I buy. It only has about five basic ingredients in it. Sugar is one of the ingredients but I think five ingredients is better than a list as long as my arm.

This. If there's no room in my day, calorie-wise, for real ice cream, I don't eat ice cream. Julia Child had it right:

"I, for one, would much rather swoon over a few thin slices of prime beefsteak, or one small serving of chocolate mousse, or a sliver of foie gras than indulge to the full on such nonentities as fat-free gelatin puddings..."

I guess to answer OPs question: neither. Neither is healthier. One portion - WEIGHED - of full fat, real sugar ice cream, in my opinion, is the best choice. Or more than one portion IIFYM!
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'd just get the regular stuff and fit it into my macros.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Full fat all sugar.

Seriously, the no fat/no sugar stuff has other crap in it that is probably worse for you than fat, sugar and calories. Just eat it in moderation.
    THIS. The no sugar stuff has a gritty texture, I think. And the reduced fat ones probably have gums and whoknowswhat added to compensate. Just get the real stuff, scoop out a 1/2 cup and enjoy.
  • jayce54321
    jayce54321 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I prefer frozen non-fat yogurt. Publix brand is excellent, 120 calories for 1/2 cup, Raspberry Roadrunner is my current favorite.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    THIS! Fewer ingredients and all natural is the best! And I think the natural vanilla is 120 cals per serving, so not much more than the low-fat or sugar-free stuff.

Eat the good stuff and enjoy it! One of my favorite treats this time of year is a scoop of Breyers natural vanilla with a fresh peach sliced over it - heaven!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Be EXTREMELY careful with no-sugar-added ice cream!! Usually, they use sugar alcohols like sorbitol and/or maltitol. Unless you are already sure that this stuff does NOT cause you stomach upset, I'd avoid it.

Having said that, I can eat protein bars with sugar alcohols just fine, but if I eat too much no-sugar-added ice cream, whoa Nelly! I better clear my calendar for the next couple of days. Not quite as bad as the Olestra and Alli debacles I've heard about, but not fun nonetheless.

Check the ingredients carefully, and if you see "ol"s in the ingredients, well, you've been warned.

There are a number of light ice creams with reasonable calorie counts. Look for Dreyer's/Edy's Slow Churned Light ice creams, for example.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Breyers Oreo blast....full fat...full Suga
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    And if you choose to stick to the full fat/full sugar stuff and limit portion sizes, good for you. But I do go in for fat-free/reduced sugar stuff, because personally, a ping-pong ball sized serving of Chubby Hubby is just going to piss me off. I want a whole bowl full of ice cream or none at all.

I can't really trust myself with the big tubs of Slow-Churned Light in the house, so I usually go to a soft-serve frozen yogurt place where you weigh it at the register and pay by the weight, and log the calories, knowing exactly how much I've consumed. And because it's liable to be 8-10 ounces (by weight), even though I get ones lower in calories, I only do it once every few months. It's portion control, in a sense.