Virtual Runs

Broejen
Broejen Posts: 414 Member
Anyone else doing any? I have registered for 9 so far! Technically I'm doing a walk, but the charities are still getting their money, and I'm still getting some exercise to earn those medals, so it's win-win!

Replies

• Broejen
    No one has done or is doing any?
  • shady81x
    shady81x Posts: 290
    Haven’t heard of virtual runs until now. Went to do a little google search and am intrigued! What r the ones u are taking part in?
  • kijoneko
    kijoneko Posts: 56 Member
    I've done a few with anywhere5k.com :)
  • Broejen
    Haven’t heard of virtual runs until now. Went to do a little google search and am intrigued! What r the ones u are taking part in?

I joined a group on Facebook called "Virtual Runs!". The members who are running the runs post what the medal looks like and a link to where you can register for it. There is also usually an Event added so you can keep track of which ones you are doing.

Here's a list of the ones I'm doing:

Doctor Who 50th Anniversary (did it in May and will be receiving my medal this week), benefits the Boston Marathon Victims Relief.
    Jedi Challenge, benefits the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
    May the 4th Be With You, Happy Birthday Harry Potter & Banned Literature (4 pieces make a really cool medal) benefits StupidCancer.org
    Off to See the Wizard for a Cure, benefits Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
    Princess Challenge (do 4 races, get a 5th bonus medal), benefits St.Jude Hospital
    Cheshire Challenge (daughter is doing it, but I'll be doing it with her), benefits Girl Power 2 Cure (for Rett Syndrome)
    Winter Runnerland, benefits Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and Team Diabetes
    2014 Resolution, benefits Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and Team Diabetes
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,033 Member
    I have never heard of this before, I will difginately be checking it out yhanks
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    I did a virtual run for the Sandy Hook Run for the Families 5K (Hartford, CT). I had signed up for another race the same day, but I was happy to donate to the race.
  • xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    I'm considering hosting one myself this summer. Trying to raise funds for the ASPCA.

A friend of mine has one coming up Friday, July 19th, through Sunday, July 21st, 2013 for Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
    http://bigdaddy4838.wordpress.com/hot-buns-run/
  • shady81x
    I joined a group on Facebook called "Virtual Runs!". The members who are running the runs post what the medal looks like and a link to where you can register for it. There is also usually an Event added so you can keep track of which ones you are doing.

I’ve joined that facebook group just yesterday after looking more into virtual runs! Can’t wait to take part in my 1st run – seen some that I’m interested in, but will need to check with the organizer whether they are able to ship the medals internationally & how much additional shipping costs will be involved. One thing I can say though… this looks highly addictive due to its flexibility! No need to worry about having to choose between runs that fall on the same date, like for irl organized races.

PS. Darn... Jedi Challenge registration is closed. I like that medal :grumble:
  • shady81x
    I'm considering hosting one myself this summer. Trying to raise funds for the ASPCA.

I would definitely be keen for this one if you do host it (assuming you do international). Great charity of choice! :bigsmile:
  • Broejen
    Most of the virtual runs ship internationally and the shipping is included in the fee you pay. At least that's what I've found with the ones I've registered for (and the other 2 I just registered my girls for). :)