Here's how I lost 115 pounds

Options

Replies

• Cannon_G
    Cannon_G Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your success! Such an inspiration. You look fantastic! Congrats :)

Thanks!
  • Cannon_G
    Options
    amazing work! I had the same thing with the heartburn. I got through 2 bottles of tums a week! Since dieting I haven't had heartburn once.

That's one of the great unexpected things is how great I feel. I exercise a ton and don't take many days off and the instructors will ask "how can you do so many days in a row? Don't you feel terrible?" I then explain how terrible I felt obese. I would wake up not being able to breath because the acid reflux was choking me. I would wake up almost feeling hungover on food. It was terrible so feeling a little sore is nothing. Now I feel alive. I hope you feel a similar way, also congratulations on your weight loss!
  • Cannon_G
    Options
    How tall are you Cannon_G?

I am 6'5".
  • Cannon_G
    Options
    Congratulations!!! You have quite an inspirational story. Hopefully everyone that thinks they just cant do it read your story and start putting one foot in front of the other and post their own story one day. Keep up the great work.

Thanks, before I decided to lose the weight I was full of excuses why I couldn't try to lose the weight. It's embarrassing to admit but I even turned down a good paying job because it would have required me to lose 25 pounds to get under the weight restrictions. I had given up before I even started but the truth is all it took was willpower to lose the weight. The hardest part of the workout is getting the energy to get out the door. Unfortunately that continues for me to this day. It doesn't get easier once you have lost e weight. I had a long run scheduled today and it took everything I had to get out the door and do it. I really didn't want to run 14 miles but I know that I have to put in the miles for the upcoming races my wife and I are doing. I did the run and as soon as I had started I felt good.

Thanks for your support.
  • Cannon_G
    Options
    Wow, you look fantastic.

Thanks!
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    very encouraging!

Congrats and I love the picture every day... that is awesome.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Super Job Boss! :bigsmile:

See you at 57! :wink:
  • chm2616
    chm2616 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    You look incredible!!!!! Keep up the great work!!!!
  • Kifissia
    Kifissia Posts: 136
    Options
    What an inspiration! Thank you for sharing your tips and how you did it!
  • get10fit2013
    get10fit2013 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing. That was very motivating! You look amazing! Congratulations.
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    AMAZING!!!!!!! Thx for sharing!!!
  • Cannon_G
    Options
    Well done and thanks for sharing your amazing success story. I am in similar shape to you when you started and I find it very difficult to get motivated. Your story has really helped though.

Thanks, I am glad to hear you have started your journey. It's a difficult thing to decide to do but you can easily reach your goals with eating healthier and exercising. I am a HUGE fan of the Galloway running method. Essentially it's running for a short interval, I started running for :30 and then walking for another short interval, :45 seconds. You alternate between walking and then running for a specified time. There are 3 run/walks each week. Two are short, 30 minute or shorter and one long run which is roughly 45 minutes. These times are for the Easy 5k program but it's essentially the same concept for the longer 10k and half programs. Some running purists will turn their nose to the Galloway method. They will tell you that you need to run non-stop or that taking walk breaks is cheating. Forget that... the Galloway method will keep you injury free and will slowly build up your endurance. I have found the interval training really helps your conditioning by getting your heart rate up and then slowly lowering it and repeating. Over time you will start to be amazed how your body is able to rebound after the running intervals and have your HR drop quickly. With time I added the stationary old man recumbent bike on my off days but even that was always under an hour. So really I was able to drop about 100 pounds with just a commitment of between 30 minutes to an hour max on my run/workout days.

If there is anything I can do to help you or anyone else I would be happy to. My biggest regret is that it took me so many years of being miserable before I made the decision to drop the weight.
  • anniegail1961
    Options
    Hi There: Congratulations on all your success's-Wow! what a wonderful transformation story.
    I really enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing it!
  • Cannon_G
    Options
    I showed this to my husband in hopes to inspire him. He is currently 280lbs and a size 44 pant at only 27 years old. He's under the impression that a serious transformation requires a ton of money invested in the gym and your post proves (like I have been telling him) that a few simple lifestyle changes and some dedication and accountability will make a HUGE difference.

Congrats!!!! You look awesome!! Such an amazing transformation and an inspiring post.

Yep, 280lbs and a 44 waist was pretty much where I was at 27. I was able to lose about 85 pounds running/walking and riding a recumbent bike in about 4 months. I was getting a little frustrated fighting with others to use the only recumbent bike at our HOA "gym" so we actually joined a gym back in August of 2012. I laughed because I thought I might be the only person to drop 85 pounds and then join a gym. :) After joining I was able to lose the rest in about 2 or 3 months. Instead of the using the recumbent bike at the real gym I moved on to spin classes and love them. Now a days I will alternate my workout schedule with various group fitness classes and still do my two short runs and one long run each week.

The only thing I would caution you about is that if your husband is anything like me no amount of suggestions will get him to start with what it takes to make the change. My wife pressured me to lose weight or exercise with her for many years and I came up with all the excuses. Too expensive, my knees were too bad, I would die, etc... She finally just decided to live healthier and do it without me. She didn't pressure me she just made the tough decisions to exercise and eat healthy. Her success is what made me realize I could do it. If it wasn't for her success I would have never tried to do it. She showed me the way and it was up to me to make the decision to start. I will tell you on those tough days the thing that would help me get out the door and exercise was the thought that if I didn't live healthier one day my daughter might be walked down the isle at her wedding by another man. Thankfully I don't live with that worry anymore. :)
  • rosiesmama
    rosiesmama Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You look so healthy and vibrant in your post-marathon pic. Congratulations on your transformation and thank you for posting your inspiring story.
  • PeachyMcKeen73
    PeachyMcKeen73 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am SO glad I saw this tonight. I am just now starting my lifestyle change and it really encourages me to read stories like yours! Thanks so much for sharing...it really does help to motivate others!
  • weberk
    weberk Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The only thing I would caution you about is that if your husband is anything like me no amount of suggestions will get him to start with what it takes to make the change. My wife pressured me to lose weight or exercise with her for many years and I came up with all the excuses. Too expensive, my knees were too bad, I would die, etc... She finally just decided to live healthier and do it without me. She didn't pressure me she just made the tough decisions to exercise and eat healthy. Her success is what made me realize I could do it. If it wasn't for her success I would have never tried to do it. She showed me the way and it was up to me to make the decision to start. I will tell you on those tough days the thing that would help me get out the door and exercise was the thought that if I didn't live healthier one day my daughter might be walked down the isle at her wedding by another man. Thankfully I don't live with that worry anymore. :)

That's what I am trying to do now. I just had our last baby and I am down 49lbs and almost at my goal weight. I cook healthy meals and try to make sure we as a family our being active. So I try not to pressure him and I do what I can to ensure he's eating healthy when he's home.... but I am hoping someday soon he'll hit his breaking point and make a change. I couldnt imagine him not being around to see our babies grow up.
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Amazing job!!! Kudos to you!:flowerforyou:
  • slimsteelerfan
    slimsteelerfan Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I'm definitely going to begin taking photos of myself after workouts from now on. Nice IDEA!! BTW - you look FAB!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!