thoughts on stretch marks...

Options
Over the course of losing weight, and actually looking at my body more and more, the amount of stretch marks I have has begun to make me think... what do people think when they see a mark on someone? Is it just a part of them? Do they come off a disgusting? If you have them your self, do you shudder when you see them?

Just bored and curious is all.

Replies

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    They are who I am. *shrug* No shame, no embarrassment. I am apparently very genetically prone as well, I have them everywhere, plus the bonus, insane in number stretchmarks from multiple pregnancies.
  • wheezeybouncer
    wheezeybouncer Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    They're not the most aesthetically pleasing sight on my body. But they show my story, and the fact that I've had children. I've earned those marks through the years.
  • nilleah
    nilleah Posts: 177
    Options
    Most people have stretch marks some a little, some a lot. They don't really matter to me as far as attractiveness goes. To be honest, what I find attractive is what's on the inside.
  • nilleah
    Options
    Most people have stretch marks some a little, some a lot. They don't really matter to me as far as attractiveness goes. To be honest, what I find attractive is what's on the inside.
  • nilleah
    Options
  • nilleah
    Options
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I've never really thought about it. I certainly wouldn't judge someone because of stretch marks.

I think I've got a couple on my mid section, to be honest I haven't looked for them lately and I'm not judging myself either!!
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I hate some of my stretch marks, specifically the ones on my inner thighs as now those sections of skin are weak and prone to injury (dreaded friction burn!). I went out last night and from a 10 minute amble now have cuts so bad I have had to bandage them, and I'm not even that big in the grand scheme of things, it's just the skin along the marks is paper thin grrr. Does anyone else have thus problem?
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    stripes are slimming. uh huh.
  • LazySugar
    LazySugar Posts: 12
    Options
    Doesn't bug me, really. Not on other people, anyway (I'm a little bitter about mine 'cause I was never technically overweight, but I still have lots, oh well!). I know some super skinny guys who still have stretchmarks in places like their lower back and armpits and stuff.
    At most I find them oddly fascinating, but not off-putting. Kind of like freckles, I guess.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I've got a few, especially on the thighs, they fade in time, no big deal to me and all part of a life's journey.

Same for my OH, doesn't make anyone less attractive.

I think we tend to obsess about the imperfections in ourselves that most people really don't notice or care about.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Im proud of my battle wounds.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I have them from pregnancy. On my outer thighs, hips, tummy, and boobs. I don't mind them except the tummy ones, they make my belly button deformed. It won't matter how much weight I lose, I will never look right on my tummy because my belly button is so messed up. I don't mind the color of the marks though, they are very light. You have to look for them to see, except my deformed button, its very obvious.
  • wvubri23
    wvubri23 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have them from gaining weight in high school. Any suggestions to help them fade?
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    My tummy hasn't been completely flat since I had my firstborn. I was 17 when I got pregnant and very tiny...108lbs, tops. Man, did my body go into shock with all that stretching! Boobs from breastfeeding, hips from widening. But most of my tummy stretch marks are near the bikini line and were hidden by my pooch.

Now that I'm losing weight I'm doing the same thing - looking at myself more. My shrinking tummy means my stretch marks are becoming more visible and I'm really having to come to terms with them for the second time.

I have to say, I kind of love them. My oldest is 10 now, we're done having kids, and everyday they get bigger and further away from being my "babies." The stretch marks are my keepsakes :-)

If other people think their gross I honestly don't care.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Most people don't care that much. A few stretch marks are nothing compared to rolls of fat everywhere. Lots of people have stretch marks, loose skin, cellulite and other little things they're self conscious about.

Even those of us that don't have any of those things have other little things we're self conscious about.
  • fShaw86
    fShaw86 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    stripes are slimming. uh huh.

QFT.

Also, I knew this one guy who was hot. He had stretch marks on his muscled arms, found that sexy as hell...