Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead?

Options
ruth3698
ruth3698 Posts: 305 Member
I watched this documentary on netflix last night.I csme away feeling really inspired, especially by Phil the truck driver. I would like to do a 10 day fast but I want to be closer to my goal weight so that losing pounds aren't my main motivation and that its more for the heath benefits. I was really inspired to put more vegetables and fruit in my diet though...because I know that is a weak spot for me.Has anyone done the juice fast and for how long? Thoughts on it?

Replies

• TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed the movie, especially the way he inspired others.

But I think the method is a bit extreme, the body is capable of detoxing itself as long as you just eat a healthy diet, no need to juice all and sundry or cut anything.

I think the way that you get in shape should not be too far removed from the way you plan on maintaining and I can't see myself living on a high proportion of 'juice'.

Buy hey, whatever works and all that, got to be better and more nutritious than some 'diets' out there. Probably best used in conjunction with a healthy eating plan than a foundation for it IMO ...
  • rachellosesitall85
    rachellosesitall85 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I agree, it was a great documentary (there are several on netflix that are great) but I think it's a bit too much. You can actually juice 1-2 times a day before a meal to detox if you want and your skin and body will thank you for it. I was so inspired when I watched this a few years back that I tried to fast and after day 1 I about passed out because I'm anemic my body couldn't handle it. My thoughts? Add juicing to your life if you want with solid foods, but I wouldn't go to the extremes.
  • GrendlStig
    GrendlStig Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I did a 3 day juice fast with my husband - more as moral support than anything. It was hard, as I really like to chew my food!, and just like the movie tells you, when all the crap you've been storing in your fat cells starts floating around in your bloodstream, you feel like total hell. And I'm a serious coffee snob. 3 days was all I could take, although he did a full 10 days and dropped about 12 pounds of water weight. We have since kept up with tons of fruit/veg in our daily diet and less meat - and very little chips/snacks. like DeadVim said, you need to eat like you're going to continue to eat from here on out. Find something that works for you - no need to spend a couple hundred bucks on a juicer- this is a lifestyle, not a diet. BTW, Hubby has lost 36 pounds (and I have lost a total of 18 (since January) with 5 more to go. Exercise is also now a part of daily life! Good luck on your journey! :)
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Detox? What are you detoxing? Specifically, can you name any of these so called toxins? There is nothing you can do to manipulate your body into cleaning your body better than it already does. Sorry, but detoxing is nonsense........imho.

ETA.... I have lost 40 and my wife has lost 32 eating sensibly and getting some exercise. That's all it takes.
  • yellowsnowdrop
    yellowsnowdrop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I agree that 'extreme' diets just don't work. All it really takes is to eat less and move more and that's it. I've tried liquid diets, juice diets, eat only graprfruit diets, you get the picture and ALL have worked in the short term. The reason I'm on MFP, well go figure and if you can't it's because in the L O N G term nothing works like eating healthily. The weight sure comes off slower but it's a heck of a lot more sustainable in the long run. Only My Opinion tho.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Every forum here has become a judging or bashing contest if you ask a simple question. The documentary is very inspiring along with others that I have watched on netflix regarding healthy changes in your eating and adding exercise. I have completed juice fasts at least once a year and it is a great way to incorporate in your eating regimen. I am part of a 30 day green smoothie challenge that will require only one smoothie a day. I prefer in the morning & primarily veggies. You will not be doing your body a disservice if you try the 3 days, 10 days or how ever many you choose challenge. I have juiced and have kept at least half of the weight off when switching back to clean eating (solids).
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I too enjoyed that movie, as did my husband.

What we took away from it was inspiration to get healthier with more fruit and veggies in our diet.

Nothing can inspire someone to do something so drastic as chronic illness. This said, we chose to add (rather than subtract) to our diet in the way of whole fruit/veggie smoothies.

It's important to note that even the narrator (main character) was unable to keep up fasting as a lifestyle, gaining back much of the weight he fought so hard to lose. For weight loss, not so sustainable, for chronic illness, quite possibly do-able. However if you are granted with good health and normal metabolism, one can do the VERY same thing without drinking homemade veggie juice...just go Raw Vegan & exercise.

Having been diagnosed with chronic illness since seeing that movie (less than 6 months ago) I chose a more moderate and sustainable route though seemingly just as left of center, but it works for me :drinker:
  • ruth3698
    ruth3698 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify.I don't see this as a "diet" to lose weight on.Like I said, I would have to be very close to my goal weight to even consider it.I am perfectly aware that losing weight is about sensible eating and exercise.I was a lot more interested in how the juicing would do a body good, losing weight would be a side effect of course but I'm sure most of it would be water weight and some should surely be gained back once you got back to normal eating. Rachelloseit, I'm anemic as well so the extreme version of it would probably never be a good idea lol.I need to go butter up the hubby to buy me a juicer so that I can add some juices to my breakfast and lunch.
  • SophieB99
    SophieB99 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love that movie! I still watch it sometimes when I need a little motivation/inspiration. I tried a ten day juice fast back in Feb and had a pretty good experience. I did it a little differently though, I still allowed myself to eat as much fresh veggies and fruit as I wanted since I figured it was the same as the juice but with the fiber. The first few days sucked, all I wanted to do was lie around my house and I felt totally drained. After that I felt great though and had tons of energy. I ended up losing 10 lbs (mostly water). I agree its not really something that should be done long term, but its a good way to incorporate more nutrients in your diet. I tried it again a few months ago and didn't lose any weight and couldn't do it more than 4 days or so. I still like to add the juice to my regular meals here and there, they really are quite tasty too! :)
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Rather than put the cash out for a juicer, I bought a Nutrabullet. It was just under 100$ at Bed Bath & Beyond.

I thought about it a bit, just as the above poster did, raw whole veggie/fruit diet would give you similar results but the benefit of juicing or whole fruit/veggie juicing is the volume you are able to consume vs. eating.

Also, the misery associated with the first few days is likely due to the lack of starchy carbs as a readily available energy source. So again, it can be a little complicated, but the same thing can be achieved through eating, just with a change in diet.

ETA: good luck :drinker:
  • sweating_for_wedding
    Options
    I know this is an old thread, but just in case!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqjHePnk8Hk

Joe says it himself in this video: "We don't want to juice only."
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    getfitdiva wrote: »
    Every forum here has become a judging or bashing contest if you ask a simple question.

just stating a contrary opinion isn't judging or bashing.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    This thread is over a year old.

Don't be a necro. Seriously.