5K time desperate to reduce!! Help!!

Options
I ran my first official 5 K time yesterday at race for life in a time of 37 minutes 35 seconds....

I would love to get some tips on how to reduce my time to 30 minutes!!

I started running at the start of May 2013.

Thanks so much in advance!!

xx

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    You need to run more. If you are running 3x a week, break it up into some speed work, hill climbs, and one long run at an easy pace. Each week bump up that long run a little, but I would not go over a 10% increase in mileage a week.
  • JamesDanek
    JamesDanek Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Short answer... run faster.

The bottom line is, without being able to critique form etc, it is impossible to offer advice. If you know anyone who runs faster they would be your best port of call.

The other route is, you have your benchmark. 37:35. find a solid 5k route and use something like endomondo or runkeeper and go run it. chances are you could beat your current time. Then run it again and again. With time and persistence a sub 30 5k is within your grasp

Congrats on the work so far!
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I ran my first official 5 K time yesterday at race for life in a time of 37 minutes 35 seconds....

xx

Relax, you are doing great, and you are only amonth into training. Just keep running for the moment.
  • angelinalblyth
    angelinalblyth Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    run 3x a week one sprints one a short run and your third one a 5k. You need to get your speed up so doing a series of sprints over time will help majorly.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Running faster takes time and training. You have to lay down a base, then work on speed. If you have been running consistently now is the time to work on speed. Do an internet search on speed work. There is lots of info out there, but stick with the pros. Running world has lots of good info
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

xx

Well done on the time that is a great start. Just keep running and you will get there. Also look for Parkruns (www.parkrun.org.uk) in your area as these are free timed races every Saturday that will give you something to aim towards.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options

xx

Well done on the time that is a great start. Just keep running and you will get there. Also look for Parkruns (www.parkrun.org.uk) in your area as these are free timed races every Saturday that will give you something to aim towards.

I second this about the parkruns, they are brilliant events and free too! Just make sure you register online at the website Flab2fitfi gave you (you only need to do that once) - print off the barcode you are sent via email and take that with you everytime you run one of these events.

They are every Saturday at 9am although in Scotland I *think* they may start a bit later (9.30), you would have to check up on that. You don't have to let them know you want to run either, you can just turn up on the day with barcode (btw if you do not have your barcode you will not get a time).

Word of warning though, they are bloody addictive and that is putting it mildly :laugh:
  • nicnactoo
    nicnactoo Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first R4L! Well done!

I got my 5k time down from 27 mins to sub 25 in 2 months just by running a little bit faster each time. No complicated science, just running faster.
    To get my time down to 23 mins (my current PB), I had to work a bit harder: intervals, intervals, intervals, tempo work, hills and a complimentary resistance programme to improve leg strength with my PT.

But, that's in the future. For now, just keep running, you're doing great. Your times will naturally fall the more you run and you'll surprise yourself how you can knock those seconds off each time and how easy it will become. And find your local parkrun and go every Saturday morning. You'll get hooked. :)
    Good luck. (And feel free to add me if you want a running friend!)
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Short answer... run faster.

i'd recommend using interval training to help increase your pace.
    2 minute intervals at a slow/fast pace, where the fast pace is slightly higher than you would like to run the 5k at.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the replies. Just get out there and run outside and work on beating your previous time (even if it's by seconds . . . you have improved). Work on your stride and controlled breathing. If you run inside I would do intervals/incline running and if you run outside try different routes and track your pace.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    You've only been running for a month give it time.

It took me months to shave off minutes to my 5km time.

Now it's taking months to shave off seconds.

To get your time, you need to do some sort of the follow:
    - run further
    - run faster
    - hill repeats
    - speedwork
    - fartleks

a sub 30min time is a 6min km pace or a 10min mile.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    run 3x a week one sprints one a short run and your third one a 5k. You need to get your speed up so doing a series of sprints over time will help majorly.

Be careful - don't just go out and run 5K every week. You don't make gains in strength training by staying at the same weight and you don't make gains at running by staying at the same distance. The long run is where you build your endurance and fitness that will make the shorter races easier.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Intervals and tempo runs.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first run!

If you arent already, i would suggest getting a GPS running watch or use Nike+(free) on your smart phone. This will allow you to understand your trends while you are running, keep track of your mileage, and become aware of elevation and other running course characteristics.
  • IrishDaveRed
    IrishDaveRed Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I once heard a running coach say "The key to running 5km in 30 mins not how often you run 5km, but for how long you run at a 30min 5km pace"
  • oliviabog
    oliviabog Posts: 101
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that when i first started i was doing it in about 37 mins too. A year or so later im doing it in 26. I'm pretty sure that when i started running at the beginning of feb, escalating my distances, doing intervals and running trails helped massively. Just slowly work on general conditioning and fitness. I think strength training has also helped a lot recently.

best of luck

TAKE YOUR TIME AND DON'T PUSH TOO HARD TOO FAST !!!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    The short answer is not to run faster.
    The short answer is not to run intervals.
    The short answer is not to run hills.
    The short answer is not to race more.

There is no short answer.

The answer is, to run more and to run easy. You need to build an aerobic base. As you have only been running for a very short period of time, your body is not yet ready for hills, speed work, intervals or tempo sessions. You just need to run aerobically, or at a "conversational pace". Slowly increase the distance (or time, if you run by time) of your runs. If you are doing every other day right now, maybe add an additional day every other week. Increase the 10%, hold there for two weeks, reduce to previous level and then increase again. Repeat this process to increase your time on your feet. One of your runs should be longer than the others, but should not comprise more than 40% of your total weekly mileage. Continue to do this until you are consistently running 20-25 miles per week and you have been running for about 6 months. Then you will be ready add some intensity (tempo, interval, fartlek and strides) to your routine.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I once heard a running coach say "The key to running 5km in 30 mins not how often you run 5km, but for how long you run at a 30min 5km pace"

This doesn't make any sense. Did he/she elaborate? The only context in which I can even comprehend this making any sense if talking about a program of higher mileage that includes intervals being run at 5K pace. Even then, any coach that has a clue wouldn't have his/her runners running 5K at 5K pace unless they were racing. It would be broken up into shorter segments, most likely 400m repeats at 5K pace. But, even then, it's not about how long you run at that pace, but how well you are able to complete that workout and if you accomplished it at the prescribed paces.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    The answer is, to run more and to run easy. You need to build an aerobic base. As you have only been running for a very short period of time, your body is not yet ready for hills, speed work, intervals or tempo sessions. You just need to run aerobically, or at a "conversational pace".

This.

It may seem counter-intuitive, but the best way to increase your speed at this point is to run slowly. That's because the aerobic system is the one you want to develop and the most efficient way to develop it is to run at a "conversational" pace. You don't need to add in quality runs (intervals, etc.) until you've developed your aerobic system and spent enough time running for your muscles and connective tissue to catch up.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    The answer is, to run more and to run easy. You need to build an aerobic base. As you have only been running for a very short period of time, your body is not yet ready for hills, speed work, intervals or tempo sessions. You just need to run aerobically, or at a "conversational pace". Slowly increase the distance (or time, if you run by time) of your runs. If you are doing every other day right now, maybe add an additional day every other week. Increase the 10%, hold there for two weeks, reduce to previous level and then increase again. Repeat this process to increase your time on your feet. One of your runs should be longer than the others, but should not comprise more than 40% of your total weekly mileage. Continue to do this until you are consistently running 20-25 miles per week and you have been running for about 6 months. Then you will be ready add some intensity (tempo, interval, fartlek and strides) to your routine.

I totally agree with this. I'm still relatively new to running. Last Aprill I was running 5k in 38:20. That's when I increased my running from 3 to 4 days a week, first by keeping the same mileage in more days then I started gradually increasing my miles to the point I was running 20 a week consistently. In late August of the same year I ran a 5k in 29:52 pushing a jogging stroller. I didn't do any speedwork, just 20 miles a week in 4 days with one long run and I always ran at a comfortable pace.

A year later, I now have my 5k down. To 28:01 and now I'm ready to consider adding speed work, though I do think if I could increase my mileage again, I'd also get faster.

Anyway, keep up the good work, you're off to a great start!