Gluten Free???

Options
Hi!

I've been suffering from severe constipation, bloating, abdominal pain, etc for about a year now. After speaking with my doctor and carefully monitoring what I'm eating and when I get the worst feeling, we decided that I should try gluten free. I just had blood work done to check for celiac's disease. I also had a colonoscopy the other day which was normal.

I've googled what foods are good & bad etc. but would like to hear from others with their experiences before and after going gluten free, what products you recommend for substitutions (my son also suffers the same as me so he will be switching too and when he goes back to school I'd like to be able to send sandwiches, crackers etc).

Thanks!

Replies

• ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I have terrible tummy issues. I too had a normal colonoscopy. I had an allergy skin test done and ruled out the gluten allergy. Maybe try that before attempting the diet, as you shouldn't have to do it if you're not intolerant. Possible food allergies can be protein, wheat, milk, tomatoes, etc. Those are the biggies as far as tummy pains are concerned (per my doctor). One thing that could be going on is low motility in your intestines. Amitiza (a prescription) is something my doctor tried me on. If you are truly suffering from this then it is a big help. Maybe ask your physician if this is a possibility?
  • Dawn_2013
    Dawn_2013 Posts: 170
    Options
    There are a lot of options for gluten free these days. Trader Joes is amazing for options. There is also a book called Gormet Nutrition. Don't let the:flowerforyou: title fool you the recipes are 8 ingredients and under and not hard. Very yummy though!
  • bree5291
    bree5291 Posts: 50
    Options
    I too suffered from those same problems. I LOVE carrots and raw vegetables, but have recently discovered that eating them raw causes my stomach to have that severe pain. I now steam them in big batches. Maybe try doing that and see if it helps. I know it sounds unrealistic but it really has made a difference.
  • soycele
    soycele Posts: 5
    Options
    Hey!
    my boyfriend, his sister, and his mother (a doctor), are celiacs.
    so while dating i have learned about it and also have a diet low in gluten, because many of our meals are shared together.
    sandwiches are still possible!
    you can wrap things in lettuce or get rice bread (rice bread comes in many different varieties, you will have to find one you like)
    there are gluten free cookies and pasta that you can buy in stores or online.
    also for baking cakes, pies, and cookies there are ways to substitute wheat flour for rice flour.
    10% of European descendants have celiac's disease! most don't even know, because the side effects are very general as you have stated. but if one with the disease keeps ingesting gluten it can be devastating for the health, not only causing pain, but malnutrition, attack on internal organs (celiac's produce antibodies to the protein gluten, it makes your immune system go crazy), and more.
    if you test positive for celiac's disease you and your son will be happier on a gluten free diet, and be healthier people.
    be aware that many products use wheat as thickening substances such as catsup and soysauce. you must begin to read the allergen info. :) hope this helps a little.