body/image/food etc things you wish you'd known as a child?

Options
I'm a mother of two girls aged 3 and 6, and I want them to grow up to have a healthy relationship with food, their bodies and to enjoy exercise, healthy food, to be able to stay fit and healthy and not grow up hating their bodies.

What do you wish you'd been taught/told as a child that would have enabled you to have been healthier, avoided issues with body image, or enabled you to have had a better relationship with food etc... did your parents make crucial mistakes that screwed you up in this area of life (whether you got an eating disorder, battled with obesity all your life, or whatever the outcome of their mistakes was)... did your parents do stuff right that really helped? are there things they could have done to make it easier for you? What important lessons can other parents learn? What will you be sure to teach your kids?

I know that there's no such thing as a perfect parent but it helps to know what direction I'm heading in and to learn from others and avoid making crucial mistakes that have caused others to screw up somewhere along the line. And also, to learn from what others did right.

Hope you can help, opinions from everyone are welcome because we were all raised by someone (whether an actual parent or not), and also opinions on life skills, e.g. self efficacy, resourcefulness, self reliance etc that affect all areas of life including health, fitness, diet etc, are totally welcome.

Replies

• BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Personally if I ever have kids, I want to make exercise a big thing....not force them to the gym ! But help them understand the importance of a healthy lifestyle in a fun way, for example joining sports clubs and having fun etc. !

But I think it's also important especially beginning of high school (this is where my healthy lifestyle went downhill majorly!)

Also FOOD healthy food for kids is important it drives me insane when I see a toddler in a push chair downing some soda ! eurghh
  • kelly_lake
    kelly_lake Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My emotional eating came 100% from my mum. Hurt yourself? Have some chocolate. Did well at school? Reward yourself with some chocolate. Had a rough day? Treat yourself to some chocolate. I try really hard not to use food as a reward/consolation, and to use other treats (stickers, trip to the swings etc) rather than food.

I also weaned her (she is now six so a while ago now but the principles remain!) using baby-led weaning, which essentially means letting her follow her body's cues for when she is hungry, and to stop eating when she is full. I have never made her finish what's on her plate and never intend to. If she is hungry she eats, if she's full she stops, which sounds incredibly simple, but I think so many of us have become desensitised to knowing when we are full due to all the 'just-one-more-bite' or 'you're-not-leaving-the table-until-you've-finished-what's-on-your-plate' attitudes we grew up with. I still find myself eating everything on my plate, even when I'm stuffed to bursting, just because I feel like I should.
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    My mother and I are both pear shapes. Since I was a teenager and started developing curves she kept on telling me that my butt is big. She projected her pear shape complex onto me and made me hate my booty. I was at a healthy weight, so pointing out the size of my hips/butt was not necessary.
    I am now a 29yo woman that still hates her curvy behind.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I wish my mom had not had a tendency to point out flaws, both in herself and in me. I remember that she tried to talk to me about my weight but it was never about health, always aesthetics. Probably she thought that was the best way to get a teenage girl to care about it, but I came away from it with a painful awareness of cellulite and any small amount of pudginess. She also pointed out her own flaws and I picked up that habit. No one in my family is athletic so there was very little physical activity. I grew up just thinking that physical activity was for "jocks" not for kids like me.

On the plus side, my mom had no tolerance for fads. She told me when I was a teenager that calorie counting was the only thing that worked to lose weight, so when I needed to lose weight that's where I went first. That probably saved me a lot of time yo-yoing.
  • samgolod
    samgolod Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    bump ...I want advice on this too!
  • prolificpixie
    prolificpixie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I remember as a child, my mother always going on and on about how she needed to lose weight, she was tiny tho ( around 7 and half stone. It had a profound effect on how i viewed my body image, especially going through puberty, if my mother was (in her words) fat, then i must be huge. She also had a habit off binge eating and allowing me to do the same

I spent years trying to undo the damage she wasn't even aware she caused, not her fault, she had demons of her own.

I never mention weight to my girls 9 and 3, i never mention exersize, we never mention that mums overweight or that sh's on a diet, i just try to make sure they get a balanced diet with occasional treats and we get out and about as often as we can.
  • CarlaRG
    CarlaRG Posts: 264
    Options
    This may sound stupid, but I remember being about 7 or 8 and my mom telling me that the only reason I was eating was so I could get boobs and have the boys look at me, and only bad girls want boys looking at their boobs. (You have to know that my mom was very old school, conservative-she also said sex should only be for procreation lol) So anyway, what she said really affected me to this day. I feel guilty if I eat and feel like I need to examine the reason why I am eating. Messed up, I know. :)
  • jjay23
    jjay23 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    i want the same for my daughter, we walk everywhere, I try to let her know that walking and exercise is great because it means we can have a treat, I never deprive her of food and we promote healthy choices. I am very conscious not to berate ymself over my body in front of her, we talk about how lovely our tummies are and that as long as we play and run then we will stay lovely and healthy. i NEVER say fat is bad, if anyone is fat then it registers with her but she doesnt see it as a negative, if she makes a comment I just say everyone is different and that is ok. in terms of her with me, its monkey see monkey do so as long as I am positive about food and exercise, moderation and how we treat people then she is.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I can't say there's much I'd change, except maybe a couple little things. I remember my mom talking about how she thought she was fat and hated her body, always pointing out what she didn't like about it. In 8th grade, I sat down on the edge of my bed and my tummy rolled a little (it had never done this before) and I remember being horrified because I thought it meant I was fat.

I'm not sure how my body image would be different if my mom hadn't criticized her weight so much, but I suspect there would be some difference. I'm very critical about my own body even though I'm the smallest I've been since high school, maybe smaller.

As far as food goes, my mom made most things off limits and limited a lot of stuff, like dessert and soda. When I finally got a job in high school, I was able to buy whatever I wanted during lunch and I was a total glutton... I could finally have all the things I'd been denied! It got worse when I got to college and could eat whatever I wanted WHENever I wanted. And thus started an unhealthy relationship with food... I ate when I was sad, I ate when I was excited, I ate when I was stressed out. I used food as a comfort and as a reward. I packed on the pounds.

I wish I hadn't been denied those things so much because they became a novelty. The novelty wore off, of course, after a couple years of being able to eat whatever I wanted, but the damage was done. Food was no longer a novelty, now it was a coping mechanism. I have a friend whose mom always had soda and chips and stuff in the house and she could have them whenever she wanted. She barely ever ate them, and when she did she only ate a little bit. It wasn't a novelty for her, they were readily available.
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I have to thank my mom for the fact that we never had chips, sodas or canned food in the house. Everything was made fresh. I wish I had better eating habits after I got older but making an example of what you have does go to your kids. Your not depriving them of anything it's teaching them about moderation.

Just my thoughts......
  • Jenna70
    Jenna70 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Children learn A LOT from watching the adults around them so it's very important to set a good example. Keeping lots of fresh fruits and vegetables and healthy snacks on hand and enjoying them yourself and with the kids will go a long way. Don't give them a lot of sugar, whether in sugary sodas, juices or snacks. No one needs to eat sugar, it should be reserved to have as an occasional treat.
    Seeing your healthy active lifestyle will teach them it's normal and enjoyable to be active. Do fun playful activities together, even simply kicking a ball around the yard, playing frisbee or looking for butterflies during a walk at the park.
    For me, I can say that I learned that sweets were a reward for good behavior. I wish I had learned that praise, love and maybe new crayons and paper were a reward for good behavior instead. I also somehow learned that eating would fill the void of boredom and bad feelings. I am still unlearning both of these behaviors. I think I learned them from observing my folks, but I'm not sure. They certainly could have done more to help me deal with those feelings in a more healthy way. There are probably many books available on the subject.
    Good luck to you. I think you will be great as you obviously are a concerned loving parent.
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I wish my family had never commented about my body as being fat when I hit puberty. It wasn't- I just wasn't my mothers body shape. There were forbidden foods and I was encouraged to eat tasteless iceberg lettuce-so I secretly binged on the few things that were around.

I wish they had encouraged activity by their own behaviour.

I have a 5 + 7 year old. I don't make a big deal about the fact that they say I have big bum, but I talk about making fun of differences and try to emphasise kindness. We talk about sometimes foods, split their food into food groups (on the plate), and encourage activity, especially walking (apparently we make them walk forever and ever...;) )
  • maryannelk
    maryannelk Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    A couple of these things have been mentioned, but this thread really resonated....
    1. Food is fuel, not a reward.
    2. Taking care of yourself, loving yourself, being proud of yourself are all good things. Your value does NOT come from how hard your work or what you produce.
    3. Move for fun; enjoy life!
    4. Take time to take care of yourself. Balance!

Parenting is so hard! (I don't have children.) Your children will benefit from your thoughtfulness and care!
  • nrz242
    nrz242 Posts: 76
    Options
    Like most kids I grew up eating 3 square meals a day, every day: being told to clean my plate, not allowed to leave the table until I finished etc. I recently started taking health and nutrition classes and the very first part of the very first lecture was dealing with nutrition in childhood development. I learned that a child's body cannot possibly process the amount of protein in the average American meal at one time, let alone absorb all the nutrients in a big meal - kids need to eat small portions several times a day to even be able to get the full nutritional value of the meals they eat. For a child, not only does eating a large meal mean flushing half the nutrients away but it also means training the body not to take advantage of the nutrients you're putting in it.
    I remember knowing at a very young age that it was "bad" not to eat everything I was given and it was very very bad to eat just before or just a few hours after a meal. I truly wish I hadn't assigned these moral values to eating habits that come naturally when you're a kid since I believe now that the most natural way of eating is usually the healthiest.
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I wish I'd been encouraged to go outside and take part in sports/activities. Most of my issues come from my mother who starves herself but is fat and hardly eats any healthy food. As a 19 year old, I weighed 8 stone (5ft 2) and she kept telling me the places I needed to lose weight.
  • ruth3698
    ruth3698 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    My mom was a big health nut back in the day, she would make us drink barley juice and try every homapathic remedy out there.She was also very...mean? I remembered growing up she would always tell me that I was big boned and not to eat too much because I would get really fat quick and would probably grow up to be tall and manly.I'm not big boned by the way, turns out I have a small frame and am only 5'2...go figure.She would constantly be on me about what I weighed, when I got a job and was able to buy my own food...I gained a ton.she would make comments like"if you gain anymore you won't be able to fit through the door" " I thought that was you, I could tell by your heavy footsteps." Even when I was pretty slim, about 120 on my 5'2 frame which was normal she was mean.I remember telling a friend that my mom said I needed to lose weight and she responded that if I got any thinner I would be a stick.I told my mother this and she told me that my friend was lying to be nice. There was a lot of emotional abuse not related to my weight as well and it led to extreme depression and a borderline eating disorder.I would make myself throw up after meals and one time didn't eat anything for two weeks.

I now have two daughters of my own, I plan on never focusing on how much they weigh...instead I want to encourage healthy eating with the occasional treats and get them to exercise with me.I think providing them with the tools and leading by example would be the best way.I never want to put my kids through the pain I went througb as a child and teen.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I wish that my family hadn't seen food as a means of celebration or comfort or reward.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I wish my parents had not brought in so much junk food in the house when we were growing up. And it wasn't so much that they brought it home, but they really did not monitor how much of it we were eating & drinking at all.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    My mom's always made me feel good about myself, which is an awesome gift to give your daughter. I think the most "poisonous" things a mom can say to her daughter (or son) are any limiting comments..."You shouldn't run so hard in baseball with those breasts", "don't wear stripes as it will draw attention to your belly". Kids are cruel enough and will point out stuff like that - parents shouldn't be offenders, too.

I wish I had not been raised to expect a sweet ending to every meal. My mom is a dessert freak. There were times, growing up, we had dessert during breakfast! It's taken me over 30 years to stop planning my meals around a cookie or pie at the end, especially dinner...but even lunch.

I also wish I'd been more exposed to vegetables. As a kid, I thought veggies equaled iceberg lettuce, raw tomato, overcooked carrots, and canned peas, green beans & corn. NOTHING else. In my 20's I started to experiment with sauteed mushrooms, baby spinach, and adding onion to everything...changed my cooking & eating habits completely. I think I'd have been a healthier and happier kid and teenager if I'd eaten more veggies and viewed them as an integral part of dining rather than an occasional boring necessity.
  • freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My mother was one of those "you're not leaving the table till your plate is empty" ladies. That's not something I'll complain about because she had me when she was young, just 23 and her life experiences to that point hadn't been great, she'd been hungry as a child so I can understand her frustration when there WAS food and little baby me just wouldn't eat.

But she also had a great way of stocking our kitchen so we would have a few cookies lying around but so many fresh mangoes, melons, exotic fruits our school friends had never seen or heard of. Every night we'd have a traditional Indian meal, usually vegetarian (Tuesdays fish, Wednesdays chicken... occasionally red meat on Saturday) so tons of lentils, veggies, pulses and lots of exciting new flavours. We could only have soda on Friday night. Night was defined by when she got home from work (7-8pm) to when dad went to bed (10pm)

When I moved away to college, I went nuts. I remember going to a supermarket and thinking yup I'm gonna have chocolate eclairs for dinner. And of course I gained. I guess I wish I knew back then how wise she was in her own way, not having an education didn't make her stupid. I feel weird about not finishing everything on my plate even now... so I bought smaller plates.

She came to visit me last month, my parents first time staying at my apartment in the big city. We went out to dinner and she made a comment along the lines of "we're at a restaurant, why don't you order something nicer than water?" and all I could think was... it's not Friday. I can't have a soda. 10 years after I left home.

Weird how these little things echo with you for the rest of your life.