Sore wrists with pushups & planks

Options
Can anyone give advice on this? I get really sore wrists from push-ups and also planks. I've tried correcting my technique but it hasn't seemed to help. Does anyone know what causes this and should I think about seeing a physio for it? Thanks, Sarah

Replies

• donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi

Use dumbbells or push up stands for your push ups. This helps enormously. Your planks should be with your arms bent and forearms on the floor with palms flat on the floor. You will not get sore wrists from this. If this is too easy elevate one leg.

Donna
  • Armyantzzz
    Armyantzzz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Probably from straining ligaments (stretching in one position too long and/or w/o warming up properly)... also could be poor techinque. To confirm and rule out serious injury ... a visit to your physician would be in order. Better not to speculate when pain and/or soreness is involved. :cry: Hopefully it's a minor sprain/strain....:glasses:
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    When i was heavier planks KILLED my wrists to the point i could only hold form for 5-10 seconds so the gym instructor told me to drop down onto my forearms. That worked a treat. Press ups i also changed up for a while and did them with my knees bent on floor instead and that stopped my wrist pain. Other suggestion is to try the wrist support straps. Hope this helps x
  • rwood1987
    rwood1987 Posts: 1
    Options
    I severely injured my wrist 5 years ago when a bunch of people fell on top of me at a concert and I tried to catch myself with one arm. donnam40 is exactly right. You need to get some push up bars or use dumbbells. Also, if you're still in pain with that method always seek medical attention when injured if rest and recovery aren't enough to heal the problem.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Not sure but it sounds like you are putting all your upper body weight through the heel of your wrists with a flat palm?

Try making sure you are placing your weight evenly through all fingers spread evenly, especially your index finger which tends to lift as the reps get harder, and suck up the palm of your hand as if you have got a hot coin under your hand you are trying to avoid. This hand structure puts the weight distribution upwards through the skeletal structure of your hand rather than downwards through the flat palm.

It takes a while to develop this new hand strength but is a lot less painful once you have it.
  • Aquarius2242
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice / suggestions. Will try the dumbells and the modified plank position on my next workout. I might have a look further into the wrist supports too. Thanks again, much appreciated :-)
  • Aquarius2242
    Options
    Thankyou, it does feel like that is what I've been doing putting all my upper body weight on flat palms. Will try your suggestion also - thanks!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Do them on your fists, or use dumbbells or pushup stands. The sore wrist is fairly common and comes from the fact that the angle you have to bend your wrist at when doing floor pushups and planks is a bit much for a lot of people. I use the Perfect Pushup V2 and it works wonders.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    All of the above suggestions are good. I would also recommend a lot of stretching. Pull your wrist back and push it into your forearm. Make sure to stop if it feels like more than a stretch.
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Plank on your forarms! Puts more focas on core as well!
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're squeezing the ground with your fingers tips. This will help support your wrist.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Do the planks on your forearms
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Do the push ups on your knuckles, that should keep the wrist joint nice and straight

Or stop doing plank and push ups