"Military" Diet

Options
So, I've been reading up on this military diet, and apparently it's suppose to help you lose 5-10lbs in the 3 days you do it. And is suppose to help you with your portion sizes. Has anyone done it? I've seen the meals, and they look horribly small...and I'm trying to learn to eat smaller portions of food..but I'm still always hungry. Any suggestions? Should I try this diet?

Replies

• ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    My immediate thought is that any sudden drastic change is going to cause a binge at some point. If you're worried about portion sizes, get yourself a food scale and gradually decrease your portions so you don't notice it so much.
  • samshinequinlan
    Options
    It just sucks because I feel like I should be eating out of a measuring cup..
  • crippledvirgin
    Options
    Big salads with walden farms 0 calorie free dressing before a meal. A lot of oatmeal and water. Potatoes cottage cheese. I drink a lot of 0 calorie cold green tea as well. Very good with a soothing taste of honey. I'm trying to gain weight, 3k+ calories a day and I still do these things because I'm always hungry, but satisfied. Learn to feel satisfied from meals and not thinking you need to have that full feeling.
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I did it in high school except we called it the tuna diet. I lost 30+ pounds that I kept off for years (until I had my son). It was tough because the amount was small but it was only three days a week. I did add in a little snack here and there if I was super hungry. I think what it did for me was to really make me aware of when I was truely hungry and pay more attention to what I was eating on the off days. I did it for three months maybe? before stopping and going to maintenance.
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options

Once you start measuring out actual portion sizes, it's almost shocking how much you over eat.
    My friend just went through this in her home. When she figured out that she was serving her children 3 or 4 servings instead of 1 she was horrified.
    They made a commitment to measuring and have all lost weight and feel better.

As for the military diet... I've done it a couple times. Not for weight loss, but for retraining my brain when I get off on bad eating habits. (which we all do from time to time).

Also, never ever eat a big salad or anything else before a meal. Drink water. Lots of water.
    Eating can be a habit and feeling hungry can be your mind playing tricks on you.
    If you feel hungry and you know you've fed yourself properly, drink water and wait 10 minutes. cravings pass.
    I learned that when I quit smoking years ago.... mind over matter. :)
  • crippledvirgin
    Options

Once you start measuring out actual portion sizes, it's almost shocking how much you over eat.
    My friend just went through this in her home. When she figured out that she was serving her children 3 or 4 servings instead of 1 she was horrified.

As for the military diet... I've done it a couple times. Not for weight loss, but for retraining my brain when I get off on bad eating habits. (which we all do from time to time).

Also, never ever eat a big salad or anything else before a meal. Drink water. Lots of water.
    Eating can be a habit and feeling hungry can be your mind playing tricks on you.
    If you feel hungry and you know you've fed yourself properly, drink water and wait 10 minutes. cravings pass.
    Salads are satisfying. Also drinking a protein shake before a meal is as well.
  • samshinequinlan
    Options
    So maybe I should try the diet but add a few things in there just so my body doesn't get shocked or anything for the small amount of food? And I actually made dinner by a recipe book and it was suppose to be enough for 4 servings. Yet it seemed just enough for 3 people. So, I guess I could say I eat a 1 1/2 servings. I also added a huge salad with it with an oil based dressing.

I'm all new to eating healthy and such. All I really know is to try and eat 3 meals a day, drink down as much water as possible and to "color your plate" as I'm told. And unfortunately, it's really hard because I'm a hard core snacker. So the only meals I really eat are breakfast and dinner.
  • FakingFitness
    Options

Salads are satisfying. Also drinking a protein shake before a meal is as well.

Salad should BE the meal, not a pre meal snack. I'm sorry, but you're really just saying eat two meals.
    Why not eat salad WITH your meal? If you eat before your dinner, you're simply training your body and brain to require 2 meals instead of 1.

Case in point - I have a family member who stops at burger king on their way to dinner at a family members house... just so they appear to be a light eater. Said person can never figure out why the weight issue as they are not a big eater... Said person weighs 400+ pounds.... Said person is fooling only them-self.

The first step to a healthier you is honesty. Write down everything that goes in your mouth. It's surprising when you do.
    So many people 'grab a few chips" and don't count them in their food diary, because they weren't "really having" chips. They just ate a couple on the way by the bowl. ;)

And no, protein drinks are Not for before meals. They are post workout or a meal replacement. lol
    If you're trying to fool your tummy into being full, drink 8 oz. of water pre meal.
  • ntjelmeland
    ntjelmeland Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The way I was taught portioning was for carbs, the amount should be the size of an open palm. For protein, the size of a closed fist. Sucks at first, but nutrition is much more manageable after the first few weeks.
  • FakingFitness
    Options
    So maybe I should try the diet but add a few things in there just so my body doesn't get shocked or anything for the small amount of food? And I actually made dinner by a recipe book and it was suppose to be enough for 4 servings. Yet it seemed just enough for 3 people. So, I guess I could say I eat a 1 1/2 servings. I also added a huge salad with it with an oil based dressing.

I'm all new to eating healthy and such. All I really know is to try and eat 3 meals a day, drink down as much water as possible and to "color your plate" as I'm told. And unfortunately, it's really hard because I'm a hard core snacker. So the only meals I really eat are breakfast and dinner.

You don't have to strap yourself to 3 meals per day.
    If you're more comfortable eating 5 meals, then do that....
    Just set your calorie goal and stick to it.

I personally eat 4 times per day and have 2 snacks. But, I stay in my calorie goal. I also drink someplace around a 3/4 gallon of water per day. :)
  • xenl
    xenl Posts: 46 Member
    Options

So true. I actually measured out my ice cream portion last night to get an accurate calorie count and I was pretty shocked at how SMALL Edy's considered a serving to be (1/2 a cup). Even more surprising is how many calories are in that tiny portion. Not gonna lie, I usually probably serve myself 1.5-2 cups of ice cream at a time.
  • MsDrJuris
    MsDrJuris Posts: 41
    Options
    (1) You won't lose 5-10 lbs, and if you do, it will be of water weight.
    (2) That diet consists of 1000 or less calories a day, which will actually eff your metabolism in the long run.
    (3) The diet is full of sodium and processed crap. :)

My suggestion is to do things slowly and slowly cut your calories so you don't binge. I also recommend consumption of good fats and protein in order to make you feel satisfied for longer. :)