New here, and really like it.

Options
:glasses: I am enjoying this, it helps motivate me cause i have to log everything. Oh, tip for everyone... Don't always rely on what the scale says, if your working out you may gain muscle which is heavier than fat, you may want to measure around your 'problem' areas and watch your inches melt. Hope that was a helpful tip. Every one have a wonderful day. :smile:

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Muscle and Fat weigh the same thing :laugh: People dont put on muscle as quickly as some might believe.. I think people experience natural fluctuations in weight due to water etc and think they put on muscle in 2 weeks at the gym.

Welcome anyway.
  • Kazren
    Kazren Posts: 88
    Options
    I always thought that muscle was heavier than fat?
  • jrich1
    Options

so 1 lb of muscle is heavier than 1 lb of fat?
  • driscollmc
    Options

muscle is actually more dense than fat (common misconception is that its heavier than fat), but yeah, muscle weighs more because of the density
  • nuttybuttersmommy
    nuttybuttersmommy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    To settle the whole muscle weighs more than fat... to get to one pound of fat you need more fat to make one lb than muscle... its just like one lb of bricks and one lb of feathers... you need more feathers to make a lb than you do bricks, correct... so if you put fat in a bucket and made it weigh one lb, and did the same with muscles, you would have less muscle in your bucket than you would fat.... So yes muscle weighs more than fat....
  • jrich1
    Options
    To settle the whole muscle weighs more than fat... to get to one pound of fat you need more fat to make one lb than muscle... its just like one lb of bricks and one lb of feathers... you need more feathers to make a lb than you do bricks, correct... so if you put fat in a bucket and made it weigh one lb, and did the same with muscles, you would have less muscle in your bucket than you would fat.... So yes muscle weighs more than fat....

Fat is less dense and takes up more room, but weight is not the correct word.. if you have 5lbs of fat... YES 5lbs of muscle will take up less space, but it wont weigh less its still the same weight.

OK enough tormenting the new people.. back to your regularly scheduled programming
  • jrich1
    Options

muscle is actually more dense than fat (common misconception is that its heavier than fat), but yeah, muscle weighs more because of the density

Bricks are more dense than feathers.. but a 1lb of bricks is still the same as a pound of feathers...

ok I am done...
  • freebirdsnsc
    freebirdsnsc Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Dimessmer

This is a really good read with photo

http://www.onemorebite-weightloss.com/muscle-to-fat.html
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    I guess i didn't explain that well, thank you for explaining. I didn't think trying to help with a lil advice would get me murdered on here. dang.

All i meant was that some people have complained about not losing weight on the scale... i wanted to point out that just cause you didn't lose lbs doesn't mean you aren't losing fat. That if you are gaining (while dieting and working out; ie. lifting) it could be muscle, which is a GOOD thing.
  • freebirdsnsc
    freebirdsnsc Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I knew what you were trying to say:-)
  • randikennedy
    Options
    I'm new.. I have the app on my phone. and it is not connceting with the computer. WHY?? can anyone help me.. I don't have internet at my house so I use my phone and it is driving me insane that when I do get on the computer nothing is there.
  • BJC219
    BJC219 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am new to this on my iphone and on the website. I have already lost 18 pounds this month not from thisapp and doing Zumba. I dont know how many calories i burn with zumba but i do know that its a lot because im covered in sweat from head to toe. If someone can help me with that that would be great. im 20 just had my first child a year ago and now trying to lose the weight its really hard but i will do it. i got serious last month about losing and went from 191 to 173 i have a lot more to go but it will go!!!
  • karencan
    Options
    Hi, im new to this today,but really excited because i it is something i need. once you actually see what your putting into your body and how many calories you eat then you realise that your eating way tooooooo much. Im starting Tracey Anderson 6 week diet so here goesssssssssssssssssssss
  • karencan
    Options
    HI, I just started zumba myself and agree with you, its fantastic and you sweat to death. not sure how many calories but people say between 700 and a thousand each workout. keep going i am , finally found something i really enjoy doing
  • nuttybuttersmommy
    Options

Fat is less dense and takes up more room, but weight is not the correct word.. if you have 5lbs of fat... YES 5lbs of muscle will take up less space, but it wont weigh less its still the same weight.

OK enough tormenting the new people.. back to your regularly scheduled programming

Ok well that is what I meant... Not every one explains things the same way...