body/image/food etc things you wish you'd known as a child?

Options
2»

Replies

• toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I've always been thin, but have never cared for my pear-shaped proportions. My mother was also mentally abusive and picked on my looks, which didn't help, and my father was out of the picture most of the time and not supportive when he was.

I wish I had learned to sew so I could make flattering clothes that fitted my personality better. I've been learning later in life, but it's a very complex skill and my conditions are not ideal for sewing and tailoring.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    This may sound stupid, but I remember being about 7 or 8 and my mom telling me that the only reason I was eating was so I could get boobs and have the boys look at me, and only bad girls want boys looking at their boobs. (You have to know that my mom was very old school, conservative-she also said sex should only be for procreation lol) So anyway, what she said really affected me to this day. I feel guilty if I eat and feel like I need to examine the reason why I am eating. Messed up, I know. :)

Aww that is sad to me :-( My grandmother was a little bit like that, though. She wasn't a MAJOR influence on me as I was not around her all that much. But she used to tell me I shouldn't hug people because I had big boobs - this was around age 12. I was mortified and it made me not so comfy hugging males, or anyone, until I was about 30!
  • ckasap
    ckasap Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Don't reward your kids with food. That's how my mom was raised - she has an eating disorder - and that is how she raised me. She feels tremendously guilty about it now but she didn't know.

Also, if you get up and are active, your kids will be too.

The fact that you even ask this question is awesome and I'm sure you a great parent. :)
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I wish I had been taught portion control and the importance of staying active.

I am a mother of a 14 and 11 year old and they are constantly educated about healthy eating and exercise. They have watched me struggle with my weight, thus the reason I keep enforcing the point about healthier eating and exercise. My girls are listening because they are already making pretty good food choices. I still have to do a lot by way of motivating them with the exercise, yet they will cooperate.

My suggestion, do not ram it down their throats, just emphasize the importance of a healthy lifestyle and commend them when they do so. Encouragement goes a long way.
  • Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    My main goal with my child is to do the opposite of what mine did with me.

My mother was (undiagnosed, but I'm fairly sure) anorexic when I was growing up. I don't remember ever seeing her eat. She put me on my first diet when I was 5 because I was "too fat" (I wasn't) and would do things like take my brothers for ice cream, but tell me I couldn't have any because I was too fat. Or my favorite...giving away my easter basket every year because I was too fat. I had such body image issues for my entire life that at 23 I went through a stint where all I consumed was crackers and water. She found out and instead of trying to talk sense into me, she told me she was proud of me for finallly doing something positive about my weight and it was a good start. She told me that people were going to tell me that you need to eat to live, but that it''s just not true. She told me that I may get really bad stomach pains and pass out a few times, but that those things would pass. She ended the conversation by telling me that it was a really good start to giving up eating and she couldn't be prouder.

I woke up to my body issues at that exact moment!

Now I have a daughter. I tell my daughter every day that she's beautiful, but I also remind her to make healthy food choices and stay active because weight issues run in both sides of her family. I allow her to have treats once or twice a week, once she eats her healthy dinner. We keep her Easter Basket and it takes her months to get through the candy because she's only allowed a piece or two at a time. I'm teaching my daughter moderation, as it was never taught to me! lol
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    My dad was a single parent to three of us kids. He bought a lot of treats at once and let us run the roost. Everyone gorged on the sweets and salty things within the first few days or else it wouldn't be there the next day when you wanted it! This carried over into adulthood...I'd buy a family sized bag of chips and I just couldn't stop eating them. They'd be gone after a day or two.

My grandma was constantly picking at my body, putting me on fad diets, giving me exercise tapes and shaming me for having a big *kitten*. Everyone picked on me for my big *kitten* ALL the time in my family...they called me wide load. :(

My dad had a long term girlfriend once who was emotionally abusive and manipulative, especially to us children. She used to chastise us for getting food when we were hungry, and yell at us if we took unauthorized snacks. I went to my grandma's house once during all of that and grabbed a handful of grapes. When my grandma came into the room, I his the grapes and she saw. She was so upset...she told me that being hungry wasn't a crime and that I should never be upset for taking some food when I want it while in her house.

I wish people told me the right way to approach food, my body image...hell, everything.
  • seryph_alethea
    seryph_alethea Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was a solid child, in fact that's how my parents described me my whole life, solider than other toddlers/kids.
    I probably was, and in my head that has always meant fat. But here's the thing, now I start to look back at pictures of me from childhood, I was thin, not skinny, but toned. I was always doing gymnastics, dance, running outside every chance I got. I was stupidly fast as a child, and as a result I am amazingly strong, even as an overweight adult, I can pick up and move around my 12.5 stone boyfriend, underneath the flabby bits, my thighs and stomach are well muscled. But in my head, I've been a fat girl since birth.

I wish my mum had encouraged my athleticism, and chosen her words more carefully. Yes I weighed more than the other kids, but I wasn't bigger, because, guess what muscle weighs more. I am now a strong (if overweight) adult with an hourglass figure. But I am not as big as I think I am, and I never have been.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    thanks for all your replies.... very thought provoking and helpful. Sorry I can't reply to them all individually but I do appreciate all of them