C25k

Options
Would you stay on the same level until you can keep your heart rate in zone using a hrm?

Replies

• athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    No, not unless a doctor had told me I needed to watch my heart rate for medical reasons.

My personal rule was to keep on going. If by the end of a week I still couldn't finish the workout, I did a couple more days at the same level. As soon as I could do what it asked, I moved on. You have to keep challenging your body in order to improve.
  • wvubri23
    wvubri23 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't , but like athenasurrender said If I can't do the workout comfortably I will repeat it. I'm on the 20 minute run and I'm struggling so I'm going to keep repeating it until I can finish it.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Slowing down a bit will reduce the HR too.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Because I'm 50 and hadn't run since middle school, I did 2 weeks on each level and reduced the speed to keep my heart rate where it needed to be. I had to push myself at every level but I'm on week 7 now!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    whats a zone?
    When your doing an actual 5k race your HR is going to be pretty high, I don't let it bother me and as long as I can finish I'm ok with it.
    I stopped using my HRM, but I think I hovered between 150 and 180.

If its one of the LONG runs, I would go back and repeat the whole week, not just keeping at 20 min run.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Would you stay on the same level until you can keep your heart rate in zone using a hrm?
    No, keep going.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    whats a zone?
    When your doing an actual 5k race your HR is going to be pretty high, I don't let it bother me and as long as I can finish I'm ok with it.
    I stopped using my HRM, but I think I hovered between 150 and 180.

If its one of the LONG runs, I would go back and repeat the whole week, not just keeping at 20 min run.

Training and racing are not the same thing. Aerobic training zone is around 75% of MHR. In a 5K race, naturally you'll be higher than that.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I would look at slowing down before I would redo a week's worth of work. There's no guarantee that your HR will get better with just one week.

If you can push forward, do that. Running isn't easy. Finding a pace you can complete your desired distance at is key. Your pace to finish a 5k may be slower than your program is allowing for.
  • LindaGTaylor
    LindaGTaylor Posts: 260 Member
    Options

I am on W3 - D1. Yes I did W1 twice before moving on.
  • f1on4e
    f1on4e Posts: 20
    Options
    Thank you so much.

I'm don't feel like like I'm struggling just wanted to make sure it was ok.
  • MartiTennisMom
    Options
    I did week 1, day 1 at least a dozen times over a few weeks- I couldn't get through it! After that one or two times each level and I could keep up. I am now about to start week five, going from 5 to 8 minute runs!
  • krisjohnson121
    krisjohnson121 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I second the notion of slowing down. The goal of the couch to 5k is to increase your ability to run and your endurance. Once you get the endurance you can slowly work on adding speed.

After a couple weeks my lung capacity completely changed it is an amazing feeling. Try to stay with the program and make changes to your speed not the durations of your running time.

Good luck!
  • wvubri23
    Options
    I do the work out until I feel that my lungs aren't going to explode. I do this so the next workout can push me a little harder without feeling that I'm going to pass out.
  • wvubri23
    Options
    If I can't do the workout comfortably I will repeat it. I'm on the 20 minute run and I'm struggling so I'm going to keep repeating it until I can finish it.

This. ^ For me, "comfortably" would simply mean doing it without feeling like my lungs are going to explode.

I do the work out until I feel that my lungs aren't going to explode. I do this so the next workout can push me a little harder without feeling that I'm going to pass out.