Your recommended pt shake from stores in UK .

Options
toffee2013
toffee2013 Posts: 344 Member
So tesco, asda , holland and barratt ...... which protein shake do you use ? Like most , i want one that tastes decent . About to go out to get some .

Replies

• Katy8967
    Katy8967 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Iv recently been using sci mx diet shake £20 for a 1kg tub from ASDA. My local only seems to do chocolate flavour and it kind of tastes like chocolate cake mix. I looked at Tesco and Holland and Barrett and their shakes are just too expensive for my pocket right now. But am interested to see what other people drink xx
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    www.bulkpowders.co.uk is the cheapest and the quality is great. Use the code HA35814 and get £5 off your order!

Maximuscle, PhD, Reflex, USN, Sci-MX, etc etc etc are all great, but very pricey and do not have any known benefits whatsoever, aside from being endorsed by some athletes and models. Remember, these athletes are paid by the companies to promote the products, not because it is any better than a bulk provider (except maybe the quality of the fish oil).
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK and use Optimum Nutrition--chocolate flavour. I don't believe it's sold in any of those shops you mentioned, though.

I think you can get a much better deal on protein powders if you buy online. I'm sure someone will come along with more info on that.
  • toffee2013
    Options
    im considering getting the whey protein from H & B . I know it wont taste exactly like a normal chocolate milk shake but just a decent one will do . I want to get a flavoured one and a plain one . x
  • toffee2013
    Options
    I'm in the UK and use Optimum Nutrition--chocolate flavour. I don't believe it's sold in any of those shops you mentioned, though.

I think you can get a much better deal on protein powders if you buy online. I'm sure someone will come along with more info on that.

I will eventually buy it online but i just want to get some asap for my lunch today . Is slim fast really that cr*p ? lol
  • Kicker12
    Kicker12 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The H& B Strawberry Whey is delicious. The Cookies and Cream, not so much...
  • estelle74uk
    estelle74uk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    The H& B Strawberry Whey is delicious. The Cookies and Cream, not so much...

Yes totally agree, cookies and cream sickly, but i love the banana one
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    The one H&B stock are ok, I've used a few of them. But to be honest all the store ones are quite expensive, I now use The Protein Works online, same (if not better) product and cheaper, plus flavour-wise they the best with the least after taste and a great selection of flavours too. Yes they aren't as nice as chic milk but they are pretty good.

I have a code SR2837 that if you use during registration you get a free 250g of a different flavour when you spend £10.

I love Cherry Bakewell personally but they have loads www.theproteinworks.com

Oh and the WHEY PROTEIN 80 (concentrate) is the one to start with IMO.
  • FitMrsR
    FitMrsR Posts: 226 Member
    Options

This^^ I used the precision engineered protein powder from H&B and optimum is the same price (actually, half of the price at the moment as its on sale) and its way better. I get mind off of amazon. If you want so etching just for today at lunch, get a pre made drink. They have a recovery drink at morrisons that isn't really protein but its in the milk section and has vitamins and minerals. I'd use something like that just for now. No use getting something that's not going to be as good and will be more expensive for a one off. You could also see if they have single serving sachets of protein powder at H&B

And like others have said, stay away from cookies and cream :)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    www.bulkpowders.co.uk is the cheapest and the quality is great. Use the code HA35814 and get £5 off your order!

This. definitely the cheapest I've found and tastes fine. H&B is easy to get hold of but their prices have gone up a lot recently - it's now over £20 for 900g when half price (55.5p per 25g scoop). I get 5kg unflavoured from Bulk Powders for around £47, which works out around 23p per 25g scoop.

I flavour it myself with coffee / cocoa but they have a great range of flavours too.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I will eventually buy it online but i just want to get some asap for my lunch today . Is slim fast really that cr*p ? lol

protein powder and slim fast are COMPLETELY different things....

protein is just that, extra protein for if you dont get enough in your diet from other sources (and its cheaper than a lot of other protein sources)

skimfast is a meal replacement.
  • toffee2013
    Options
    right ok , thats prob where im getting confused . I'm looking to replace my lunch meal .
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    The one H&B stock are ok, I've used a few of them. But to be honest all the store ones are quite expensive, I now use The Protein Works online, same (if not better) product and cheaper, plus flavour-wise they the best with the least after taste and a great selection of flavours too. Yes they aren't as nice as chic milk but they are pretty good.

I have a code SR2837 that if you use during registration you get a free 250g of a different flavour when you spend £10.

I love Cherry Bakewell personally but they have loads www.theproteinworks.com

Oh and the WHEY PROTEIN 80 (concentrate) is the one to start with IMO.

This, the protein works have the best flavours and quality by miles. Not the absolute cheapest, but good prices. Definitely the one I would recommend.

Bulkpowders are OK, nothing bad about them, just nothing special either. I did find that their powders never mixed as well as the protein works though, and whilst the flavours weren't bad, they don't compete.

MyProtein used to be decent, but have gone downhill in the last year or so, since being bought out by the hut.

Also worth looking at Maxiraw.

Most of the high street stuff is either low in protein content, or massively overpriced.

Yes, I think I've tried nearly every UK protein source at some point!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    right ok , thats prob where im getting confused . I'm looking to replace my lunch meal .

why? learning portion control and having balanced meals is what a healthy lifestyle is all about.

drinking a replacement shake doesnt teach you anything, and you will lose more pounds from your bank balance than anywhere else!
  • Sam3622
    Sam3622 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I use Myprotein Impact Whey Protein.

After all the protein powders i've tried in the past, this has been my favourite for both taste, mixability and price.

Heres the link: http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-protein/10530943.html

:-)
  • Lonewolf1507
    Lonewolf1507 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Bump, for when I have more time to read the results
  • weffie11
    weffie11 Posts: 91
    Options
    I use that too Sam and have never had any problems with it. Fast delivery too!
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I have used myprotein in the past, but aside from the general reduction in delivery satisfaction and customer service since the takeover, there have been a couple of contamination incidents, involving salmonella in liquid egg whites, and banned substances in their BCAAs. Whilst most people wouldn't be affected by the latter unless they compete, none of the above things suggest to me that I should use them, when there is so much competition in the supplements market.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    The protein works each and every time. Fantastically flavoured and cheap. Best tasting brand I've used in a long long time and protein content is 80% with only 2g carbs per serving (if thats important to you).

www.theproteinworks.com

They do run a referral scheme where you get some free whey if I refer you, drop me a PM if you want to be referred.

Ps - myprotein are great when things go right. BUT look at the HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE complaints problem they've had for the last couple of years when things regularly go wrong! LOL :laugh:
  • AnsiStar
    AnsiStar Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend The Protein Works! They're absolutely brilliant. Try the Natural Whey 80 if you want a cleaner one but their Whey Isolates are the best!

I recently gave BulkPowders a go because I was slightly lower on cash than normal but I'm not half as satisfied :(

Again, like everyone else if you want a referral code...yeah :)