Women- where do I take my hip measurements?

Options
I've read to take hip measurements at the widest part. But my widest part is not at the hips which is near the waist, it's farther down, towards my pelvis (which means the tape measure goes around my butt). Could someone please confirm where on the body hip measurements are taken? Also, waist measurements are taken at the bellybutton-- is this correct? Thanks!

Replies

• mich1902
    mich1902 Posts: 182
    Options
    when i used to get weighed and measured at curves women's gym they put the tape around the biggest part of your butt, like you said. I usually take my natural waist measurement as well as at my navel so that I can track the inches on my lower tummy and thjen my hips.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Measurements are at the narrowest & widest parts. So narrowest part for waist, widest part for hips (yes it will go around your butt)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    According to dress patterns, the hip is typically 9" below the waist. But that can vary a little depending on your height and torso length.

And your waist is at the narrowest part of your torso, where your body naturally creases when you bend. Sometimes the belly button is there, but for many, it's not.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I do separate measurements for butt and waist so I go around the waistband for my underwear to measure my hips. That's the spot where I put my hands on my hips.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Typically doctor's will measure the widest part of your hips, without dropping to the thighs, which for most is around the booty. Waist is measureed approx. 2 in above the hip bone, whether or not this is the narrowest part.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Around your booty for hips and for my natural waist I use the most narrow part, which is just below my rib cage. More or less.
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    As long as you measure around the same place each time it doesn't matter too much
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    According to dress patterns, the hip is typically 9" below the waist. But that can vary a little depending on your height and torso length.

And your waist is at the narrowest part of your torso, where your body naturally creases when you bend. Sometimes the belly button is there, but for many, it's not.

^ This. When I've gotten measured or fitted for clothing (wedding dress, most recently), my hip measurement wasn't quite at my butt. When I measure myself, I have a "hip" measurement and a "butt" measurement.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    If you actually feel where the hip joint is, it's much further down... It's pretty much where I've always been advised to do hip measurements, which coincides with the widest part, that also gets your butt in the measurement. And I've always understood waist to be, as many have said, the narrowest part. I also take a "belly" measurement, myself, around my belly button, but that's not my "waist" measurement.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I take mine around the fullest part of my butt.
  • LyndaTay
    LyndaTay Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I take my measurements at the narrowest part below my breast, across my belly button and under my belly.
  • pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I always take my hip measurements at my widest part (which does end up being around my bottom), then I take my waist measurement at my narrowest part (just under my bust), I also take a measurement at my belly button.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Bump...I always go around the fullest part of my...rear end.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

Yes, it varies. My hips are between 7 and 8 inches below my waist. I'm both short and short-waisted. I think I read that the navel can fall as much as an inch below the natural waist.

The measurement calls for the biggest measurement, which is the widest part of the hips and buttocks.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Measurements are at the narrowest & widest parts. So narrowest part for waist, widest part for hips (yes it will go around your butt)

^^ This
  • luckynky
    luckynky Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Awesome- these are all good answers- thanks!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    As long as you measure around the same place each time it doesn't matter too much
    That's what I was going to say. Pick several areas and always measure the same spots. The "widest" part of my hips is now higher up than it used to be thanks to weight lifting.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Just stay consistent and you'll be fine. I measure the narrowest part of my waist, the widest part of my general hip area (just above my pelvic bones) and where my leg meets my butt for my thighs. Those are the areas I'm concerned about so those are the ones I measure.
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have a high waist, so some of the standard points of measurement go out the window for me. I measure my waist (narrowest part), belly button, and then hips - which yes, goes around your butt. As long as you're measuring the same areas over time, you'll be able to tell where you're losing.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    That's what I was going to say. Pick several areas and always measure the same spots. The "widest" part of my hips is now higher up than it used to be thanks to weight lifting.

This is true if you are measuring for inches lost. But if you are trying to determine disease risk, it matters where you measure.