Teens and Household Responsibilities

Options
LMT2012
LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
What is the general feeling at your house as to how much and when to require kids to help out with cleaning, cooking, shopping, etc.
If you have children between 12 and 18, do you compensate them for doing chores? What type of chores are age appropriate? Does it matter if they have a job outside the home?
What is your overall goal in having/not having regular household jobs assigned to teens?

Replies

• DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    lolol. I started doing chores when I was 8, just little things like dishes and sweeping. Then when I was 12ish some things started changing and three kids were cleaning up after five people. We did everything but cook. And we never got paid because what's the point of having children if not for free labor?! Now we're all out of the house and my parents are like, wow, we didn't have to lift a finger when you were all home...they didn't like cleaning, haha. I can understand for my dad who had a job and did all the finances, but my mom never had a job, and the house would be messier when we came home from school than when we left. :huh:
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    My kids are responsible for cleaning their area of the house, which is their bedrooms, bathroom, and game room. They have to bring me their dirty laundry, and put away the clean laundry. I also give them other tasks, helping with dishes, taking trash out, loading the dryer, as I need them to help me. Since my hubby and I both work 50+ hours per week, their helping gets housework done faster. We can move on then to fun stuff.

My boys are 12 and 10, my girl is 20 months (she "helps" with folding laundry). They don't get paid for household chores, but I do pay them to clean out my car, mowing the yard, weedeating, and other things around the house. They also get paid by my FIL to now and weed eat his property.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 11 almost 12, she has always been responsible for keeping her room clean from when she could walk she was taught , what you take out you put away. She has made her own bed since she was 7 or 8. She has been responsible for feeding the dog for several years now. For the last 2 or 3 years she has helped dry the dishes and set the table, she helps fold the laundry and is responsible for putting her clothes away. She often makes my bed in the morning now or helps me, she also usually makes her own breakfast, she is quite independent and helpful.

As far as allowance she does get one from her father, I wouldn't have given her one but he wanted to so, she gets one, it wasn't something I felt that passionate about so what ever.

I believe in chores because it teaches kids life skills and not to take things for granted. I also believe its good for them to know that they can do for themselves, they don't need to be waited on. And hey I did them as a kid and I turned out ok :wink:
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I believe in chores because it teaches kids life skills and not to take things for granted. I also believe its good for them to know that they can do for themselves, they don't need to be waited on. And hey I did them as a kid and I turned out ok :wink:

This is truth!
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    My kids are grown and out, but it was always a struggle. I just saw this on a MSN in a pic gallery titled awesome parenting:

"Want today's wifi password?"
    1. Make your bed
    2. Vacuum downstairs
    3. Walk the dog

Might be worth the extra work to change the password weekly :laugh:
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    What is the general feeling at your house as to how much and when to require kids to help out with cleaning, cooking, shopping, etc.
    If you have children between 12 and 18, do you compensate them for doing chores? What type of chores are age appropriate? Does it matter if they have a job outside the home?
    What is your overall goal in having/not having regular household jobs assigned to teens?

I have one child (he is now an adult still at home), and for most of his life was a single parent. There was never a question of him not doing chores and there was never a question of me paying him. He is a member of the household, and everyone chips in to the best of their abilities. He may have grumbled about the chores when he was younger, but now (he is 27) he thanks me for teaching him how to run a home, do shopping, manage a bank account, do laundry, etc.

when he was younger, he had to keep his room clean, and help with laundry and setting the table.

When i was married to his step father for a few years, step father thought was should pay hm for painting the house. i didn't exactly agree but went along with it. SF's theory was that this was "beyond" the regular scope of chores and we would otherwise have to pay a professional. My theory was that sometimes, as a parent, i do things that are above and beyond the call of duty and i don't get extra pay. But let's say that that would be the only time i would consider paying - if it's something special. otherwise - you live here, you are part of the household, then you chip in.
  • MFPRat
    MFPRat Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Chores were always something everyone in my household pitched in and did. It's part of having a decent home and being part of a family.

There was no specific compensation for it, but if/when they wanted something ($ for movies, skating, etc.) they would get it.

As long as they live in the home, they pitch in with chores.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    We had a chore roster that covered things like dishes, folding/hanging out laundry, picking up dog mess, sweeping etc. we did those and kept our rooms clean, and every second Sunday everyone pitched in on something big like gardening. We all got pocket money and would lose it if we didn't do our chores.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I started doing my own laundry when I was about 12, and had to clean the kitchen / do the dishes daily, immediately after getting home from school. I also had to walk the dog and clean out the cat litter pans occasionally (my dad and brother did this also). Other things, such as cleaning the bathroom and watering plants, were a more bi-weekly / monthly sort of deal.

I didn't really get an allowance, but my mom basically bought me everything I could have possibly wanted anyway. I was a spoiled little brat! But if/when I have kids, I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect them to do 1-2 chores on their own every day without compensation. If you're giving them a list a page long, though, you might want to treat them for their efforts.
  • Sweaty_N_Hungry
    Options
    I've got two boys, ages 16 & 12. I am not very strict when it comes to holding them to daily or reoccurring chores. I'll usually send them a good morning text and ask them to take care of whatever was left untidy.

That being said, the trade off is usually an activity of their choice. We go play Frisbee, fishing, kayaking, swimming at lake, etc. It's up to them to decide. The other motivational idea is if I start seeing their stuff thrown, I'll hide it. When they ask me for something, they know they have to clean up a room before I tell them where I hid it. It won't take long before they start picking up all their junk.