will i Ever get rid of this excess skin?

Options
will i ever be able to tone up and get rid of this excess skin on my belly and bum? or am i fighting a loosing battle? i cant afford surgery and it looks awfull since i lost all my weight BUT it could have been worse considering the amount i lost

Replies

• FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    It all depends on genetics, age, how much you lost, ect.

If you are in your late 40s and lost over a 100lbs you can lose some of it. Probably not all of it.

If you lost 30 pounds, give it time and it will bounce back with exercise.

Younger you are the more likely you are to have it bounce back with time
  • jumasc
    jumasc Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm going to guess probably not. My story is I am pretty thin but can't get rid of the stretched out, "extra" skin on my stomach (I've had 3 kids and obviously I have "unforgiving" skin"). There are obvious muscles beneath this mess, but no matter what I do, I have extra, hangy skin. I'm thinking surgery would be the only way for me to get rid of it.
  • rdkemper
    rdkemper Posts: 4
    Options
    Ya excess skin is reabsorbed over time. My understanding is that it can take some time and exercise helps re-tone the skin. Here's an article: http://exercise.about.com/od/weightlossfaqs/f/looseskin.htm

For me (late 40s) it's also about losing connective tissue in my muscles so they go softer even though I'm in pretty good shape. It's all good, though. (Sex) life at this point is about intimacy, not performance. Our bodies are for loving, not worshipping. ;-)

And I agree with you completely - better to seal with some loose skin than excess weight. You're awesome!
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you've lost your weight? I often hear it takes about a year for your skin to catch up to your weight loss. I don't know if you notice other people who have lost a lot of weight that they look a little loose but looking back after they've maintained it and they look normal again. Not saying it will all be perfect again but it will improve.
  • jennieren76
    jennieren76 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i lost 7st 7lb over 2 years which is about 105 lbs i did put about 2 stone since xmas but i have lost that now hopefully it will go in time with plenty toning exercize i started oct 2010 and finished aug 2012 then lost 2 st since the begining of ma this year :-D am looking to get to 10st 7 then maintain and tone up