Workout suggestions for someone with lower back issues?

Options
Hello! So, I have been doing Insanity the past six weeks (this is my third "attempt"). It seems that I always get to about this point and I start getting some lower back pain to the point where I can't continue the workout. I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for workouts that might be better for the lower back? I would like to burn about 500-600 calories a day, like I do with Insanity.

Thanks in advance!! :)

Replies

• Suffer4beauty
    Suffer4beauty Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Do all the exercises that don't put as much focus on the back (challenging, since most exercises involve the core muscles). I do Barry's Bootcamp videos that involve doing 1 minute intervals of exercises with only 30 seconds downtime in-between exercises. Exercises like squats, jumping jacks, blowouts, lunges, "bicepers" (bicep curls with resistance bands), "prison rows" (stand with one foot on resistance bands, cross the bands, put your "free foot" back a little so that you can lean over your knee/heel that is holding the band on the ground and then pull your arms out sideways/parallel to the ground and then bring your arms back down) are all great - working your core just enough to start strengthening without straining. Also - do lots of planks. Planks on you elbows and knees to begin with to slowly start building those back muscles, then elbows and your feet/toes rather than kees, then hands and feet, etc. If you can afford the Barry's Bootcamp videos - try them and just start with the "easier/modified" Cat person (when I first started, I did even easier than the "easy" person) and I modified all the exercise that involved too much lower back exercises - and I do that now too, because, although I have lost 30 pounds and am near my ideal weight and can even do just over 10 "good form" push-ups, I am now pregnant and must not put heavy exercises on the lower back. Other than that - cardo. Jog or swim or walk up and down stairs. Good luck!