Salt is the devil

Options
Ok, not really, but that is how I feel this morning! I weighed myself on Saturday evening and was tickled pink to see 159.8 staring back at me. Last night I went out with the girls and indulged just a little bit on a couple of tacos.. and fries.. and a little bitty cheesecake. This morning for my official weigh in: 161. That one little pound is devastating :(

I carried a deficit for the week so I know it isn't fat gain but it is still sad to see a gain on the scale.

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself on Friday for that reason, lol. I do much better during the week than on the weekend, so I'm not holding onto as much water.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I too am feeling the bloat of the nasty salt devil this morning.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Meh....salt keeps me from cramping up on my runs...not the devil. I don't really obsess about numbers on the scale though and I retain more water with my workouts than I do salt, so it's really no biggie.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Ok, not really, but that is how I feel this morning! I weighed myself on Saturday evening and was tickled pink to see 159.8 staring back at me. Last night I went out with the girls and indulged just a little bit on a couple of tacos.. and fries.. and a little bitty cheesecake. This morning for my official weigh in: 161. That one little pound is devastating :(

I carried a deficit for the week so I know it isn't fat gain but it is still sad to see a gain on the scale.

If ti isn't fat gain, who really cares? And you do know you need sodium, correct?
  • cinrn68
    cinrn68 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I agree!! I also do my official weigh-in on Friday since I know I will likely indulge in something salty over the weekend at some point. I also know it's not "true" weight and that once the water intake increases, it will go back down. Don't despair! We're all in the same boat! :wink:
  • sirrahsim
    sirrahsim Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    oh yes I understand that salt is important. I am just feeling grumpy at it for making my scale creep up a tad! :grumble: :grumble:

I am a little overly focused on the scale right now because I can't join up with the Guard until I am comfortably under 160.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

If ti isn't fat gain, who really cares? And you do know you need sodium, correct?

If you are bloating from sodium you've consumed more than you need. Fat or bloat the scale is still higher and my pants are still tighter. Sure the water weight is easier to get rid of, and that makes it better than fat, but I still care about the tight pants. :grumble:
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Ugh I know how you feel. The past two days I've been at Disney World with my friends and family and pigged out quite a bit. Today I stepped on the scale and saw I was up THREE pounds! I've never gained that much from bloat before - it's never been more than a pound at the most. I have a feeling it's because TOM is coming sometime in the next couple of days (though I usually don't gain much with that either).

Just gotta keep reminding ourselves it's not fat gain and it will go away! No biggie, your weigh in next week will be better :)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    MY body weight usually changes 7 pounds during the day. You're going to drive yourself mad like that. Pick one a day a week and weigh yourself at the same time of day on that day. Good luck.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    OMG! One whole pound!

The only answer is cut out all sodium, juice cleanse, and get on the elliptical for at least 8 hours today. Anything else is just slacking . . .
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    OMG! One whole pound!

The only answer is cut out all sodium, juice cleanse, and get on the elliptical for at least 8 hours today. Anything else is just slacking . . .

Or this ^
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Quit focusing on the scale. It's the most unreliable way to track your progress. Try focusing on measurements and a body fat % goal.

After all, would you rather get to a scale # goal and not really fit (or fit well) into the clothes you wanted to fit or be heavier scale # wise but have the body you really wanted?