debating on getting a personal trainer

Options
Was wondering if anyone had any advice on personal trainers? What's a good price? What did you experience? What are the benefits? Any advice would be great. Thank you!

Replies

• bkthomas2004
    bkthomas2004 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've had a few personal trainers. Some through the gym, some independent contractors. I would definitely say stay away from the gym ones, unless they train outside the gym bc the charges are outrageous. They do help motivate you and will help you with strength. But I would advise that your heart really be into wanting to change as a whole, because you will have to train when you're not with your trainer as well. I paid anywhere from $800 for 3-4 months worth of sessions 2x a week through the gym, (yes a rip off I know, I've learned my lesson since then and that was years ago) to 30-45 a session for independent trainers. I would go with the latter if I were you, its very easy to find them and reputable ones will have references and certifications. Hope this helps.
  • amandaf7
    Options
    I worked with one through my gym, about every week for a year or so. It definitely helped-through him I got in the best shape of my life and learned a lot about diet and exercise. It kept me motivated to work hard even when I was working out without him, because I knew he would be able to tell if I had been slacking off in between sessions! :) It was pretty expensive, though, which is why I had to stop. But if you can afford it, I definitely recommend it!
  • Dancerten
    Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I would totally recommend it. If you can find someone to work out with you, you can generally split the cost of a personal trainer. Granted, it's not completely one-on-one, but it's close enough. My mom and I split the cost of a personal trainer at the YMCA a year or two ago and it was awesome. Our trainer was really positive and encouraging and knowledgeable. He not only showed us different exercises from what we already new, but he also helped recommend healthy meals and snacks. The great thing about a personal trainer is that they can really zero in on what you specifically want to accomplish. Go for it!! :o)
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    There is only one personal trainer that I would recommend and he trains down in San Diego CA. Most of the gym personal trainers are clueless. I have seen and known people that didn't get any results. They can run $700 a month or up. I would HIGHLY recommend P90X home fitness. It absolutely works. It focuses and chest, back, arms, legs, and cardio endurance.

P90X is where it's at.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Find someone who has his/her own gym. Don't go to generic 24 hour fitness or LA Fitness. Their trainers are awful and see way too many people/day.
    Get one who will focus with you on your personal goals and who has his own gym and equipment. They are generally more focused.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I worked with a female personal trainer in the past, and I really liked. She was not associated with the gym; however, she sometimes over did my workouts and I was very sore after ward. I had to slow her down.

I suggest that you get somebody that understand, and is willing to work, with and around your physical imitations and/or weak points.The rate can be between $40 and $70/hour, at least that is the rate where I live.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    If u belong to a gym my advice is to watch the trainers....pick up on some of the routines/tips
    Also most gyms offer 1/2 free sessions when u purchase a membership (or maybe that is something u can negotiate?)

Good luck, kim
  • mark996
    mark996 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    If you are a member of 24 hour fitness, and decide to use one of their "master trainers", you'll be doing the same thing, every week. My old power lifting coach knew several trainers from there. During their "training" at 24 hour fitness, they're told to make everyone do the same thing, and make sure they don't do full range of motion, ROM, movements, to cut down on chances of injury and lawsuits. My trainer from there was more busy with talking about his MMA stories than teaching me anything, and I sure was tired of doing 10lb cable pulls while sitting on some damn rubber ball. I'm not a big fan of 24 hour fitness for several reasons, but their trainers really put the icing on the cake for me. Find someone who either has their own gym, or go to a locally owned gym, not some super chain arena. If your goal is strength, find a strength coach, if your idea is to get shredded, find a bodybuilding coach. It's a plus if they're also certified nutritionalist as well. The only guy I'll ever trust is a world record bench presser, a strong man competitor, and power lifter. Why? Because my goals, are what he's already done. Find someone with like goals/accomplishments. Don't put up with spending money on someone who is just going to go through the motions. Some of these trainers make enough money off clients, and there are PLENTY of trainers out there, don't settle for crap. I'm all for PT's, and the 24 hour rant was strictly the opinion of my experience, with several other guys' experience. I don't speak for every 24 hr fitness, I'm sure some have great trainers and do things that will help. */end disclaimer.

Edit: Funny story, sorry I actually remembered being told by a trainer there that if you do full ROM squats, your knee with fly out of it's "hinges". Yes, true story. I was doing ATG squats there, and a "elite trainer" told me this. Great times.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, make sure whoever you are working with understands you, your goals, and your style of exercise. It can be tricky because, on the one hand you need to keep an open mind since a good trainer can push you in some new directions that might be disconcerting at first, but will ultimately fulfill your goals. On the other hand, you need to play an active role yourself and have good communication. I have seen a lot of people who were unhappy with their trainers but never would express their concerns because they had a "trainer knows best" attitude.

There are also a lot of people who put up with a lot of pain and discomfort because they feel that's a sign of a quality workout.

It's not. A good trainer should be proactive in checking with you about how you felt after the previous session. Even if they don't, there is no reason to put up with days of agony after a workout. You aren't getting into shape any faster. Any trainer who thinks that's a good thing should be avoided.

Ask your trainer to give you an overall game plan. The trainer should spend a lot of time in the initial session (if not the whole session) going over your goals, exercise history, medical history and even do some type of assessment. After that, they should be able to give you an overall plan of how they intend to help you achieve your goals. If they don't, ask for one. If they can't or won't, find another trainer.

Avoid any trainer who recommends or tries to sell you any type of supplement or vitamin. They are not qualified to do that, and, in many states it is illegal for them to do that. "Nutritionist" certificates issued by a certifying agency are worthless--they only document that the trainer is a dilettante and unprofessional.

Good trainers can come in all shapes and sizes and all types of personalities. Physical appearance or rah-rah attitude is not evidence that someone is a quality trainer (it's not evidence that they AREN'T, either). Choose a trainer whose style suits you.

I would also avoid a trainer who tries to push one particular style of exercise--e.g. cross fit, or "metabolic training", super slow, HIT, etc. There is no one "style" of training that is best for everyone--anyone who thinks so is putting ideology and usually self-promotion before your needs.
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I've worked with a few trainers and getting a good one that really knows their business and cares about you as a person and your fitness goals is super important. I trained with a guy once who was undercutting the gym in what he charged and he eventually got fired! But I had me some ABS! First time in my life!!!!

24 Hour Fitness has a lousy reputation apparently. But like most things in life, there are exceptions! I trained last year with a woman who had a pretty blaaah personality. But she set up a great program for me and I lost 35 lbs. She addressed my weak areas and targeted what I wanted to work on. It was a varied program and not from a corporate template, that I know of!

Same for my current trainer, also at 24. This young lady is VERY knowledgeable about fitness & nutrition. I do a lot of my own research and have a good knowledge base also. She is really helping me get further along the path to where I want to be. She also designed a program for me and we do a different work out every week when I meet with her. Then I have a program to follow during the week and she follows up with me to make sure I did it! Now we are working on refining my diet.

The cost is up there of course, but I'm worth it! My gym membership is minimal since I bought it so long ago. :bigsmile:

Ultimately WE have to be our main inspiration and source of discipline. But it sure helps to have knowledgeable help to push us along at an appropriate clip! Azdak has some very good advice............

Best of luck and find whatever method works best for you and GO! Many people have success with the home DVD programs. For me, I do better if I have to get out of the house and go somewhere. And checking in with someone else really helps! I know the trainers probably have sales quotas etc. My girl never pushes any products etc. Only more training! :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • gbbhey
    gbbhey Posts: 188
    Options
    thank you all for the great advice. i've decided to continue going to the gym on my own and sticking to my plan. if i find things to slow down, i may hire on an extra hand, but so far i feel as i am being pretty accountable in the gym. now if i can stick to the diet and keep everything according to plan, there will be no problems meeting my goals!
  • stephwoodward
    Options
    So, today's Groupon offer is $29 for two months of unlimited training at this gym that is exclusively personal training. After the two months, the fee is $75 a month for the same offer. Not a bad deal, considering I was paying $400 a month through my gym!

If you're in the San Antonio, TX area, you should definitely check out Groupon!