Ideas for Celiac/Weight Loss/lazy cooking

Options
Hi! I'm trying to figure out some really quick and easy recipes to help me lose weight and are gluten free. It's easy to find GF recipes that are really delicious, of course, but before I was diagnosed, I ate a lot of frozen entrees and pizza pockets and sandwiches. I'm really bad at cooking. I hate the whole process of it.

Any help would be great! I've been eating a lot of fruit/smoothies, GF sandwiches, trail mix, but I'm getting stuck with dinners. I've got stuffed peppers, GF pasta, GF pizza.... not sure what else would be easy and minimal cooking.

I know that's not a great attitude, but I want to have some things that are little to no effort in the kitchen so I can work my way into better kitchen habits. I just know that sometimes I will absolutely not want to put effort into it (after school and a workout, for example) and I don't want to fall into worse habits.

Thanks!

Replies

• ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Ibreatheimhungry.com
    Nomnompaleo
  • cotton118
    cotton118 Posts: 13
    Options
    Not sure what is your main reason to go gluten free but processed GF products are usually made of cornstarch, rice starch, tapioca starch, and potato starch. In replace of wheat flour, these powdered starches are among the few foods that increase blood sugar even higher than whole wheat!! I am a terrible cook too...I usually make risotto, salads, and fried rice. You can easily make a bigger batch and save it in the fridge for the next meal :)
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Ive been gluten free for 5 years and there are plenty of easy gluten free dinners. Do you like eggs? I eat a lot of fritatas with fresh veggies and they're super simple. You can bake tilapia or flounder filets in 10 minutes in the oven, and the frozen veggies in the steamer bags are effortless. Just none of the ones with sauces unless you want to hang out reading all the ingredients. Potatoes and rice are good for carbs and very versatile, and rice you can make a large pot in advance and dress according to what else you're eating during the week. I find it easier just to not eat the gf breads and pastas as much, just because they're not very good.

Anyway, I hope this helps!
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I cook tilapia and swai fish in the toaster oven. I just sprinkle it with some lemon pepper seasoning and broil it for 10-15 min. turning it over halfway through. Add a salad and/or some fruit and you have a quick easy and healthy meal.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Made a great treat last night that could be done with risotto or GF pasta

Steamed fresh broccoli cut into smaller pieces (not tiny, but good sized bites) (3 cups when it's all cooked)
    1/4 cup fresh parmesan
    1/2 tsp lemon pepper
    Salt (to taste)
    2 cups cooked GF pasta (I used whole wheat, but there are other substitutes-or you could use rice/couscous/quinoa)
    1 Tbsp butter

Steam the broccoli until just fork tender. Cook pasta per directions. Combine all ingredients together until the cheese is melted.