Mom says she's fat....

Options

Replies

• msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I read this a couple of weeks ago and I think it's an excellent read! I don't think that we often put too much thought into how our negative self-image impacts our children. I was fortunate to grow up with a mother who never put herself down or talked critically about food choices even though she was obese for most of my childhood. I try very hard to give a similar experience to my daughter. I don't talk about weight loss or calories in front of her - instead I emphasize how we need healthy food and exercise to grow up strong. Thanks for posting!
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I try to be careful in front of my children. My mother constantly talked about being fat, and my grandmother was borderline anorexic (having grown up with an obese mother) and I think that it really messed me up regarding diet, food, etc.
  • LilBritGettinFit
    LilBritGettinFit Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Love this.
  • shellyq92
    shellyq92 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this link. I have 2 daughters (12 & 14) and have tried to stay positive about healthy food and bodies and not talk about my struggles with weight loss through the years. Sometimes it's tough to keep frustrations with food to ourselves and I know they notice that I don't often indulge in the Krispy Kreme doughnuts or desserts we have on occasion. I think staying active and exercising and keeping them involved in sports is helping keep the focus off of weight and more on health...at least I hope.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Love love love this article
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    God, I don't want to do this to my girls :( Great read.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    One of my driving forces behind my weight-loss is so that my negative self-talk doesn't brush off onto my children. My mother was cruel about my weight as a child and always put herself down about hers, but never did anything about it. I refuse to follow in those footsteps.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    I read this a couple days ago, thanks for sharing with others! It's very insightful.
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Wow!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I read this over the weekend and thought it was really compelling. Then I wonder if it's the same for boys, my husband (who I think is a sexy beast monster of a man) puts himself down, where as I do not. I have a son, so I wonder if boys are the same way and if my husband's influence would be stronger than mine. I'm not saying that I always feel like I'm at the top of my game, but I lost the derogatorry words and the put downs about 2 years ago. I speak in realistic numbers, desired adjustments to activity levels, and food intake adjustments instead of random adjectives.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The problem with Mom saying "And look at me, fat, ugly, and horrible" isn't that she's said she's fat. It's that she said she's ugly and horrible.

I often called myself fat in front of my daughters when I gained a few lbs, though I was never overweight until after they were grown. They are both in their 30's now and at a healthy weight. They eat right and exercise because that's what I taught them you do to keep from being fat.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    This is something I put a lot of thought into when I had my daughter. I inherited a weight problem and body image issues from MY mother. She was always extreme dieting, yo-yoing up and down, starving herself and then binging...and I saw all of that. Not only did I see her unhealthy dieting, but I heard her talk relentlessly about her imperfections - and I have HER body type, so what did that say about me?

By the time I was 15 I was obsessed with my weight. Mind you, I was 120lbs tops, but I had my mothers "fat thighs" and "giant hips" and I just wanted them gone. I did slim fast, I drank that horrible Hollywood Diet juice, I took those diet pills with Anna Nicole on the front and never ONCE did my mother tell me to stop. Never once did she tell me I was thin and beautiful. She just enjoyed having a diet partner.

I was a full blown bulimic by 16.

So even though I am on a weight loss journey as an adult, I'm constantly on the alert about how I talk about myself in front of my daughter. I avoid fad diets like the plague. I'm still super critical of myself, but I figure that's my cross to bear until I can move on from it. I just don't want to hand that cross to my little girl. She's beautiful and perfect and I never want her to think otherwise.
  • WhitneySheree88
    WhitneySheree88 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Very good read, thank you for sharing this!
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I might as well just copy, paste, change names and send that to my mother (credit where credit is due, of course).

Thanks for sharing.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    My mother was so far from this. She was born in the 20s in Orkney (UK) and had a very functional view of food. Food was very basic, and mostly boiled! She was a young adult during the second world war, and her mottos were "waste not, want not" and "make do and mend". My childhood was lived by those maxims. Nothing was thrown away. Everything was put to use somehow. I even remember some butter - rancid - in the fridge, but we had to use it, couldn't throw it away.

And I vividly remember a battle one day, when I must have been about 6 or 7 over a boiled carrot. I didn't want to eat it. Everyone left the table, I was left staring at this carrot. My mother insisted I had to eat it and I'd stay there till I did. Eventually, after a long stand off, she went off to the kitchen, I threw the carrot out of sight somewhere, she came back and praised me and took my plate. Years later she admitted, she knew fine well I would do that, and left the room so I could. But again, the pressure to eat all the food in front of me, the shame and guilt and stress if I can't. Even now, I struggle with leaving food on my plate! Which is unhelpful when you're trying to eat less!

I remember a few years ago, eating Christmas dinner at my sister's house. She started clearing dishes away, and pointed to a plate with an impossible mountain of food left, and said "Come on, that's got to be eaten, that can't go back in the kitchen". It was unrealistic, she didn't mean it literally, there was enough there for 4 more people! My instinctive reaction, even though I was stuffed to the point of nausea, was that I had to take more food. And it struck me then - my mother had instilled in me (unwittingly I'm sure) a sense of responsibility and guilt for wasting food. To this day I have a fight to leave food on the plate. I feel like I have to eat the last helping if nobody else will. Even now, in restaurants I have a pang of anxiety if the waiters come and take away plates with food left on them. So that's meant I've spent my lifetime eating too too much, having seconds, having the last piece.

I won't blame my mum. But while she thought she was teaching me postive values about not wasting food, I was learning unhealthy attitudes to food.

I think what everyone's saying about trying to teach their children the importance of healthy eating is good - and teaching children confidence and assertiveness to challenge negative messages, and to questions distorted ones.
  • LilBritGettinFit
    LilBritGettinFit Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    One of my driving forces behind my weight-loss is so that my negative self-talk doesn't brush off onto my children. My mother was cruel about my weight as a child and always put herself down about hers, but never did anything about it. I refuse to follow in those footsteps.

^^ Did we have the same mom?? I dont want that for my daughters either.