Lunchtime Food Help Needed

Options
Hey there, am having a bit of a problem. I am an office worker who needs to eat his lunch lol. Just having problems knowing what to do. Because of shifts I need something that is very filling and cheap to eat, but not bread or crackers (my achilles heel at the moment, but soooo many calories). Needs to be finger food if possible, as eating with a fork or something can be tricky at my desk. Any ideas please, need to drop my lunchtime calories somehow.

Thanks
x

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Sandwich wraps. And high fiber tortilla or wrap, a handful of leafy greens (spinach, lettuce, arugula), some type of protein (canned tuna, leftover meat/fish, hummus, eggs, etc.) and whatever other chopped/shredded veggies you like.

Dress it with hot sauce, lemon or lime juice, balsamic vinegar, mustard, or something like that if you want a fat free dressing, or an olive oil - vinegar mix, vinaigrette, etc.)
  • lblert
    lblert Posts: 55
    Options
    If I was stuck at my desk when I worked in an office environment, I liked eating raw veggies like carrot sticks, red bell pepper strips, raw broccoli, and cherry tomatoes. I usually dipped them in hummus. Hard boiled eggs, string cheese or Babybel cheese rounds were also easy to eat at my desk with my hands. If you like crackers, there ones like Ryvita that are low in calories/carbs and high in fiber so they're pretty filling. I like them with Laughing Cow cheese wedge spreads, which come in a variety of flavors.
  • mish24canada
    mish24canada Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hi I also work in an office so I bring my lunch to work everyday. What I have found helpful for idea on what to eat is by looking at cookbooks I have bought two one is called looneyspoons low fat food made fun and eat shrink and be merry. I paid with shipping 7.00 each because they are used books. I also find anything that is not processed tends to be less in calories. Hope this helps
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I too sit at a desk all day slaving away. My favorite meal is a hummus plate I pack the night before and is totally utensil free. You'll need more than I as a bigger guy, but I'm very satisfied eating 6 tablespoons of hummus with 2-3 servings of cauliflower, broccoli, and carrots and 2/3 of a whole wheat flat bread pita. All the fiber, protein, and healthy fat is super filling.
  • EddyShuttleworth
    EddyShuttleworth Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I too sit at a desk all day slaving away. My favorite meal is a hummus plate I pack the night before and is totally utensil free. You'll need more than I as a bigger guy, but I'm very satisfied eating 6 tablespoons of hummus with 2-3 servings of cauliflower, broccoli, and carrots and 2/3 of a whole wheat flat bread pita. All the fiber, protein, and healthy fat is super filling.

Now that sounds really nice, think its time to get some hummus in lol.
  • EddyShuttleworth
    Options
    If I was stuck at my desk when I worked in an office environment, I liked eating raw veggies like carrot sticks, red bell pepper strips, raw broccoli, and cherry tomatoes. I usually dipped them in hummus. Hard boiled eggs, string cheese or Babybel cheese rounds were also easy to eat at my desk with my hands. If you like crackers, there ones like Ryvita that are low in calories/carbs and high in fiber so they're pretty filling. I like them with Laughing Cow cheese wedge spreads, which come in a variety of flavors.

Nice ideas there as well
  • EddyShuttleworth
    Options
    Thank you all for the help so far, have got some really nice ideas there. Think Flatbread, hummus and veggies to dip sounds like a good idea to go for. Time to shop :-¬)
  • emily_ebooks
    emily_ebooks Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I'm at work I just bring a granola bar, a teaspoon or two of almonds, and a banana, and that works for me.
    My advice would be to bring a lot of raw veggies and nuts because you can basically snack on a few of them frequently and you never really get hungry. Good luck!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    - 2 rivita crackers, 1 hard boiled egg, 1 oz cheese, 1 apple.

- 17 almonds, celery and carrot sticks, and 1/2 cup humus.

- 1/2 cup low fat ricotta cheese with one cut up red pepper ( love the crunch)

- snickers candy bar, Swiss cheese and strawberries.

- protein bar.

- salad with advocado, sunflower seeds and cranberries.

- salad with chopped chicken breast and apples.

- guacamole and veggies.

- turkey deli slices wrapped around sticks of cheese, apple.

- sliced cucumbers, sliced cheese, and sliced apples.

- peanut butter or almond butter with apples.

- those cans of tuna salad that you can buy with pita and celery sticks.
  • paintedladytc2010
    Options
    I have to pack my lunch three days a week. Though I have to stay away from bread (anything with yeast), I found that making a
    sandwich out of a flour tortilla works well. I can make a breakfast tortilla or meat/cheese/veggie. Wrap it in foil and put an ice
    pack in my lunch bag. I bring yogurt. I pack my roasted vegetables (brussel sprouts/potatoes/carrots/broccoli) in my lunch bag
    too when I make it. I cut apples and have cheese with it...boboli (whatever the name is...small red round single small packages).
    I bring my two 1 liter bottles of water to work also to be sure I get my proper water intake. If I want a smoothie, I'll make it just
    before going to work and drink it on the way and at work....I work 11am to 6:30pm at a chiro office....I eat when there's no
    patients around so it has to be light and fast. I've even brought in (horror on calories) pot pie (cheap store bought version--
    just microwave it at home and put it in my lunch bag with the ice pack. Cut fresh carrots in a zip lock.Oh, peanut butter on rice cakes (with or without honey). Hard boiled eggs. Hope some of that helps
    for you.....
  • stephaniefiteni
    stephaniefiteni Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    With your cracker line on having a lot of calories... sunrise original rice-cakes only have 23 per 2 slices.
  • IAteBethDitto
    IAteBethDitto Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    One evening a week I make a frittata with all kinds of ingredients - last one was broccoli, feta and salmon. Then I take wedges of it to work in a lunch box. It's a good 'grab and chomp' solution.
  • AJL437
    AJL437 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I make a sandwich with sandwich thins - usually 4 slices of salami or deli turkey. I also bring almonds, an apple, cheese stick, celery with peanut butter or hummus to dip.
  • tiffaniedemayo
    tiffaniedemayo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have the biggest problem with lunch, that is i don't eat it. I get doing things, and don't want to stop, or i loose track of time, so when i sit down to eat dinner i overeat. I like raw celery, carrots, and cukes, but is that enough for a lunch?
    I've dieted once before with success, but i was using allot of melaleuca products, that i don't have access to now.