Since losing 34lbs my periods have changed. Is this normal?

Options
Since, losing 34lbs my periods have changed. Last month my period lasted two weeks. I have serve cramps and blood clots. I have been very moody than normal. This month my period was 10 days late. My periods just started being irregular these last two months. Have any of you had problems with this? Thanks Sarah

Replies

• SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I think that it all of a sudden being heavy has nothing to do with your weight loss. I would give a call to your gyno and have them advise you.
  • sarahfashion861
    sarahfashion861 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have already went. She said everything was ok! I was just curious if anyone else had this problem. She said it was from my weight loss.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Wow. Never heard of getting heavy periods from losing weight. Did she explain how? Have you done any research on your own?
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue (my last period was 2 weeks long, the one before that showed up a week early). When I called my doctor's office to see if I needed an appointment, he said it was normal with a lifestyle change as extreme as mine is, and wait a few months to see if it normalized. Glad you talked to your doctor already; just keep an eye on it, I guess and complain again if it keeps up too long.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. I am having REALLY bad cramps associated with my period since starting to lose weight.

ETA: It's not heavier or longer, but the cramping is much worse than it used to be.
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Be carefull with this,although I didnt experience what you did after loosing alot of weight my cycle did change and I got pregnant! It could only happen to me:smile: anyway it will most likely settle down! well done on your weight loss!
  • SkinnyMel78
    SkinnyMel78 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I'm having the opposite problem. I feel like since I've been exercising and losing weight that my cramps aren't nearly as bad and my flow isn't as heavy. I'm not complaining though. Hope things get better for you!!
  • LCFulmer
    LCFulmer Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    It's normal... body is adjusting to the change. I had the same problem and went to my OBGYN and she said the same thing.. its normal. I use and app to track mine and put notes in it when things change. I lift weights and do HiiT style workouts.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    What's your calorie intake?? If you are doing really low calories that might be the reason why.
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion but no this is not normal. Get a second opinion asap! I did and found that I have a fibroid tumor the size of an orange! I am not sure if losing weight had anything to do with it, but I'm glad that I did lose it. If I hadn't lost the weight, I'm not sure the doctors would have been able to feel the fibroid. Get a second opinion and use birth control.:flowerforyou:
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I would get a second opinion. I lost like 50 lbs and never had that issue.

Are you on hormonal birth control or made any changes there?
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Since, losing 34lbs my periods have changed. Last month my period lasted two weeks. I have serve cramps and blood clots. I have been very moody than normal. This month my period was 10 days late. My periods just started being irregular these last two months. Have any of you had problems with this? Thanks Sarah

Ok I won't even begin on the private info on a public forum

Go see your GYN OB

Seriously the list of possible diagnosis/influences is too long to post.

Be evaluated and tested . Hopefully it is nBD
  • algrant1
    algrant1 Posts: 17
    Options
    I have known two women who have had this problem after significant weight loss - and one with the exact opposite, heavy periods reduced to light ones after weight loss.
    Weight loss may indeed be the culprit as being overweight has quite an effect on hormones - namely estrogen. Excess fat can spur excess estrogen production via certain enzymatic pathways. This in turn can upset the balance of hormone levels in one's system. Your body may be adjusting to different hormone levels. Unpleasant in the meantime but hopefully a transient issue.
    In the cases of the women I know who had such issues, two of them had everything go back to normal over time and the third went on a low dose bc pill to help regulate her periods. Best of luck and hope it resolves soon! And make sure your doc stays in the loop to help!
  • sarahfashion861
    sarahfashion861 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Soozie429- I haven't looked into it yet. I am keeping track of everything. I have never experience irregular periods so this is all new to me. I heard from tons of people its normal to have this because of the weight loss. Juliegrey1- I hope I don't get pregnant lol! I will keep an eye on everything. Christianwife- I use to eat 1300 calories. I have bump up to 1500. Thank you guys for the advice. I really appreciate it! :)
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Its natural for your periods to change after losing or gaining weight as production of hormones can be affected. Give it time to settle, if not go back to your gp. I also found that my periods have altered although haven't become irregular
  • estherlion
    estherlion Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've lost 12 lbs and my period was 2 months late! Now I got it and it is definitely heavier than normal and lots of cramps. I cut out most sugars completely and cut calories to what I used to eat. I think it's just my body adjusting. It is time for my annual soon, so I'll get full blood work and pap soon anyway. I would think your situation is the same due to the drastic weight loss.
  • MMulder68
    MMulder68 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Six weeks after I started MFP and exercising four days a week my period didnt come. It was just like I just skipped a month. Then the next one came 10 days early. Been on track since then. So be patient with your body. But if it doesn't come dont wait more than 3 months to go to doctor.
  • happyheart15
    happyheart15 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I've lost 61 pounds, and my periods have gotten lighter and more regular. I'm very happy. This alone is incentive enough to keep the weight off.
  • CysterWigs
    CysterWigs Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It's completely normal. I would say that you should give your body some time to adjust to the new weight. Sometimes when we lose weight really quickly our bodies do not get the memo immediately and will still create the same amount of hormone they did prior to the loss (bigger person = higher body mass and blood volume = more hormones). If this doesn't change in a few months see an *endocrinologist*.