What will make me feel fuller longer?

Options
I feeling like I'm starving. Vegtables just don't seem to stick with me. I had 2 cups of boiled squash with lunch, low calorie and felt full, but only for about an hour. What sugestions do you have?
(I'm used to eating 3000-4000 calories a day I work in town and live on a farm so I'm pretty active, but I wanted to lose weight fast so I've been trying 1200 this week)

Replies

• elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Try eating some fat with your vegetables - veggies with light dressing, some cheese etc. I find the combination of bulk and substance is necessary for me to feel full.
  • kk_stephens
    kk_stephens Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Protein and eating smaller portions more often is key. Add some chicken or turkey in. Fish is always good too.

Increase protein and fiber and it should help tide you over.
  • amandaf7
    Options
    I agree about the protein. I always hear that fiber fills you up, but for some reason it doesn't work for me. Instead I make sure I add some protein to my meals, and that helps curb the hunger!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,006 Member
    Options
    maybe eat oatmeal and fruit for breakfast, add some chicken or maybe string cheese and a few crackers to your lunch, you need to add some fiber and protein to your meals and maybe eat smaller meals more often, If you are hungry in an hour eat a granola bar the quaker ones are only 100 cal
  • MamaRandall
    MamaRandall Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    have some eggs for breakfast or bring hard boiled eggs along with you. I also have a protein shake once throughout the day. Make sure it's low sugar tho. Mine is 1g sugar. And whole wheat bread with some natural peanut butter is delightful :wink:
  • kimmi33
    kimmi33 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    almonds or cashews...meat or cheese...Good luck on your journey.
  • melissaptx
    Options
    Beans! Black beans, navy beans, pinto beans, etc....
    Each serving is 1/2 cup and around 100 calories.
    Great source of protein and very filling too.
  • iamdesiderata
    iamdesiderata Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    a combination of lean protein and complex carbohydrates will be the best thing to keep your stomach from grumbling.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I am an LLC = Living Low Carb. Now that I follow this eating style, I eat what I want when I want and I am never hungry anymore. Just stay away from bad carbs and all is good.

Good Luck
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    beans,brown rice,yogurt
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    I have read a study that said people who smell peppermint or vanilla will eat less because the smell makes the brain think we have eaten... don't know how well that works but worth a try. Also chew gum, that is another 'trick for the mind' Don't know if this will help, but good luck.
  • snookeroo
    snookeroo Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    This was just on the news the other day. Drink water before you eat. It helps you to feel full.

Here is a link to an article but is not the piece that I saw on TV.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/blogs/nutrition-in-a-nutshell/want-to-lose-weight-drink-water-before-a-meal/1370913.aspx
  • shintowa
    shintowa Posts: 37
    Options
    Protein doesn't keep me full at all, it's carbs that help me. Potatoes, rice, oatmeal, something dense. A salad doesn't work, but a salad with some rice on the side and I'm good. Experiment until you find something that works for you, don't just follow what everyone else says works. For instance, I can plow through a steak like it isn't there, but give me a baked potato and I get stuffed, and remain full for a much longer amount of time.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    No wonder you're hungry- that is a big adjustment! Nuts make me full. Things that are high in fiber or protein also. Everyday I eat a dry cereal called Kashi Honey Sunshine and a Luna bar for breakfast. Together it's nine grams of fiber!
  • MomBo
    MomBo Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is good...I put a teaspoon of it on a plastic spoon and lick it like a lollipop..ok, now I know that sounds strange, but it is a slow way of eating an item, the protein is good and makes one feel like they are eating much more than you really are. Sometimes I believe we miss the pleasure of eating as much as we do the food when we are cutting back, even if it is healthy eating.
  • jbisme
    jbisme Posts: 16
    Options
    Congrats on your great loss of weight Myastyme. You're really doing great. You should feel very good about the weight loss you've accomplished . Keep up the good work. I'm encourage because you and every one else is doing so well.

Every one have a great day
    Jackie
  • AnnMarieerie
    AnnMarieerie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Everyone has given really good tips. Remember to have each meal (and snack) with protein, good carbs and a little good fat. Also, chew each bite at least 20 times. Also, a proper bite is only 1/3 of your fork (so "small" bites). We've gotten away from that in America....

The chewing allows for proper digestion and gives the brain a chance to process that you are eating to turn off the hunger.

Good luck!