Olive Oil without poly or monounsaturated fats?

Options
I have a hard time hitting my fat macro due to my alergies ( nuts as well as avacado).. I started adding a TBSP of olive oil to my eggs in the morning to boost my Fat macro percentage, but noticed that I am going way over in my polyunsaturated and monounsaturated reccomended percentages. I checked the olive oil bottle and realized it was all coming from it.

I know I am suposed to avoid trans fat, where does poly and mono unsaturated fat fall on the need/avoid list? MFP alots you zero and shows you over when you eat it but I have read other posts that say its fine in proper moderation?

Is there an olive oil tht does not contain poly and mono unsaturated that I should shop for or just stay with my current brand?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Most fat sources contain predominantly monounsaturated anyway and with the exception of grain products, nature is pretty stingy with polyunsaturated fats. I believe MFP is just looking at overall fat and not individual fatty acids, but you could adjust your goals to track them I believe. Anyway olive oil is mostly monounsaturated with saturated being the next with poly's taking a smaller position..........EVOO is perfectly acceptable, as well as any natural fat source.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I would avoid seed/grain oils. They tend to have omega-6 fatty acids which are not good like omega-3s. Can you have coconut oil? I cook a lot with that if I don't want the olive oil flavor for a certain meal. I also put it in my coffee. Also don't be afraid of real butter. I use Kerrygold Irish grass fed un-salted butter. Grass fed has a better fat profile then grain fed. I found it at my local trader joes, some Costco and Sam's clubs have it too.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Is there an olive oil tht does not contain poly and mono unsaturated that I should shop for or just stay with my current brand?

These are the fats you're supposed to ingest. They are not the same as trans fats (though, be careful, cooking at high temperatures with oils not designed to be can result in trans fat). Eating olive oil without poly/mono-unsatured fats is like eating peanut butter without the fat--in other words, ripping away the most important macronutrient in it (caveat: yes, peanuts have protein... but peanuts "main" macro is its healthy fats).

Omega-6 fats are also not "bad" for you, but Omega-3s are better. However, Omega-3s come predominantly from fish--perhaps eating fattier fish (salmon, trout) will help you reach those macros. Flax seed (and thus flax oil) contains them, but not at the same level as once thought. Otherwise, olive oil is a very good source of unsaturated fats, particularly for someone who can't eat nuts/avocados.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    They tend to have omega-6 fatty acids which are not good like omega-3s.

No.

OP, olive oil is olive oil. Period. And it's very good for you.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is fine and good for you but if you want to get some more omega 3's you could try flax oil. You mentioned you're allergic to nuts, but are seeds OK?
  • neanderthin
    Options
    I would avoid seed/grain oils. They tend to have omega-6 fatty acids which are not good like omega-3s. Can you have coconut oil? I cook a lot with that if I don't want the olive oil flavor for a certain meal. I also put it in my coffee. Also don't be afraid of real butter. I use Kerrygold Irish grass fed un-salted butter. Grass fed has a better fat profile then grain fed. I found it at my local trader joes, some Costco and Sam's clubs have it too.
    Omega 6's are essential just as omega 3's are. You probably meant we shouldn't consume as many as we do.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    They tend to have omega-6 fatty acids which are not good like omega-3s.
    No.
    I think what they meant is that we generally consume too many o6 and not enough o3's so our ratio's are way off. I use olive oil for some things, coconut oil for others and butter for the rest :) I would stay away from canola/safflower/etc, personally.

I don't pay any attention to MFP's fat counters, I changed mine to up fat and protein allowed.
  • drillfork
    drillfork Posts: 5
    Options
    MFP allocating 0 to mono and poly-unsaturated fats means there's no target and also no limit. Eat as much as you want, in other words, within your overall fat target. MFP is only concerned with the total fat & the saturated fat count, within that it's your call how you fill it with mono or poly fats.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    There had been some controversy regarding omega-6 fatty acids. Some researchers believe that omega-6 fatty acids metabolize in your body to become a type of fatty acid that can cause the lining of your arteries to become inflamed and damaged. That damage causes narrowing in your arteries, which can lead to heart disease. Whether this is accurate is still being debated and it is up to the individual to determine who they want to put their trust in.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The *ONLY* fats that need to be avoided are trans-fats!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    There had been some controversy regarding omega-6 fatty acids. Some researchers believe that omega-6 fatty acids metabolize in your body to become a type of fatty acid that can cause the lining of your arteries to become inflamed and damaged. That damage causes narrowing in your arteries, which can lead to heart disease. Whether this is accurate is still being debated and it is up to the individual to determine who they want to put their trust in.

Omega-6 fatty acids are essential. The body needs them. That's not up for debate with anyone knowledgable in nutrition.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    OP except when it leads to too many calories or not getting enough other essential fats, I don't think it's possible to consume too many monounsaturated fats. Your body needs a variety of fats, but mono0unsat is generally thought of as the fat you should eat most.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Too many omega 6's do cause an imbalance. The pathway ( delta 6 desaturase) is used by both n:3's and n:6's and with a diet that is predominantly grain in association with the SAD diet a boat load of omega 6's are consumed, around 10% of total calories. LA which is a the essential omega 6 when consumed in this quantity can be inflammatory and the reason the big push on omega 3's, n:3's will lessen that inflammation.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Poly and mono fats are perfectly acceptable. Now if you want to change the fat ratio so you come out higher on the poly consider canola oil or safflower since you are allergic to nuts. Also cold water fish. Are you allergic to seed oils such as hemp, flax, sesame?
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Too many polyunsaturates can cause problems.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

IDK alpha-linolenic or omega-3 has been implicated in many benefits including noninflammatory properties and the ability to reduce LDL cholesterol.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

IDK alpha-linolenic or omega-3 has been implicated in many benefits including noninflammatory properties and the ability to reduce LDL cholesterol.

Like I said, TOO MANY polyunsaturates can cause problems.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Too many omega 6's do cause an imbalance. The pathway ( delta 6 desaturase) is used by both n:3's and n:6's and with a diet that is predominantly grain in association with the SAD diet a boat load of omega 6's are consumed, around 10% of total calories. LA which is a the essential omega 6 when consumed in this quantity can be inflammatory and the reason the big push on omega 3's, n:3's will lessen that inflammation.

How much fat is in grains?
  • iamkass
    iamkass Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    MFP allocating 0 to mono and poly-unsaturated fats means there's no target and also no limit. Eat as much as you want, in other words, within your overall fat target. MFP is only concerned with the total fat & the saturated fat count, within that it's your call how you fill it with mono or poly fats.

Technically they aren't alloting 0, if you look carefully they are alloting "N/A" for mono and poly and they are alloting 0 to trans. It ends up coming to the same point, essentially it's not that important to keep track of. It's there so we can keep an eye on it if we feel the need to but there is no target. On the app, if you look at what you have left for the day, it'll say N/A even if you've had a none, or a bunch.

Trans fats on the other hand have a 0 target. Don't eat those, lol.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is good for you. But a lot of supposedly olive oils are not real olive oils (like honey and whatnot). So I wouldn't have too much of it either.