Breakfast Bar or Muffins (high protein)

Options
JennyOne2277
JennyOne2277 Posts: 26 Member
Anybody have any good/easy to make recipe for a breakfast bar or muffin that is made of good carbs, and a good amount of protein. Something that can be considered a "treat" at times, instead of my normal snacks. Thanks

Replies

• lap012165
    lap012165 Posts: 24
    Options
    I actually got this off MFP about 1 1/2 years ago. Love them!!! I did up the peanut butter, used 1/3 milk also, but did not up the brown sugar, way to sweet for me. Hope you enjoy!

Peanut butter oatmeal bars

3 Cups oats
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1 cup milk
    2 tbsp butter, melted
    2 eggs
    2 tsp baking powder
    3/4 tsp salt
    2 tsp vanilla
    1/2 cup peanut butter
    Mix all ingredients and stir well. Spread in 9X13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

That original recipe was too cake-like for me, so I changed the milk to only 1/3 cup and upped the peanut butter to 2/3 cups,
    (I also upped the brown sugar to 2/3 cups because I have a sweet tooth.) then I decided to a serving of hemp protein powder to it to add extra protein. It had a much better peanut butter taste at 2/3 cups. You might use the original and see what you think or play around with it. Then you can just input it into your MFP recipe box to get your nutrition facts. But if you love peanut butter,
    you might go ahead and increase it to 2/3 and see how you like it. It's pretty alterable to suit to taste. I suppose you could even add raisins or nuts or something if you enjoy them. I use extra crunchy peanut butter
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I made these last week. They aren't super sweet so you might want to skip the chocolate chips and just add some sugar if you want a sweeter taste (or leave it out all together) but they are filling and have 12 g protein/serving! I am going to mess with the recipe to make them a little lower carb-I think I could use less flour and only 2 eggs.

1 scoop Vanilla Pure Protein Powder
    1 Cup white flour (could use wheat, I was out of wheat flour)
    1.5 cups mashed bananas (about 4 large)
    2 tsp Baking Soda
    4 eggs (Next time I would try with 2)
    1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
    4 tablespoons chocolate chips
    1tps vanilla flavoring/extract

Makes 12 muffins
    Calories: 165 each
    Carbs 21g
    Fat 4g
    Protein 12g
    Sodium 268
    Sugars: 8

Sift together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl mix eggs, bananas, vanilla, applesauce. Fold wet mix into dry mix until just absorbed-don't over mix! Add chocolate chips. Cook 12-15 minutes (until toothpick comes out dry) at 350 degrees. Remove immediately from muffin tin and allow to cool.
  • JennyOne2277
    Options
    Thanks so much. I will def. try it. I LOVE that it is made with ingredients I already have at home :) Don't have to run out and get anything special.
  • JennyOne2277
    Options
    I made these last week. They aren't super sweet so you might want to skip the chocolate chips and just add some sugar if you want a sweeter taste (or leave it out all together) but they are filling and have 12 g protein/serving! I am going to mess with the recipe to make them a little lower carb-I think I could use less flour and only 2 eggs.

1 scoop Vanilla Pure Protein Powder
    1 Cup white flour (could use wheat, I was out of wheat flour)
    1.5 cups mashed bananas (about 4 large)
    2 tsp Baking Soda
    4 eggs (Next time I would try with 2)
    1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
    4 tablespoons chocolate chips
    1tps vanilla flavoring/extract

Makes 12 muffins
    Calories: 165 each
    Carbs 21g
    Fat 4g
    Protein 12g
    Sodium 268
    Sugars: 8

Sift together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl mix eggs, bananas, vanilla, applesauce. Fold wet mix into dry mix until just absorbed-don't over mix! Add chocolate chips. Cook 12-15 minutes (until toothpick comes out dry) at 350 degrees. Remove immediately from muffin tin and allow to cool.

Thanks Nicole. This looks like a great recipe as well. Def. going to have to try both of them. Want to find some bars or muffins I can make that will help with upping my calories; without it being junk. Ya know ? Thanks again!
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Yeah, they are great for a quick breakfast too!
  • XxMarciaxX
    XxMarciaxX Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I actually got this off MFP about 1 1/2 years ago. Love them!!! I did up the peanut butter, used 1/3 milk also, but did not up the brown sugar, way to sweet for me. Hope you enjoy!

Peanut butter oatmeal bars

3 Cups oats
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1 cup milk
    2 tbsp butter, melted
    2 eggs
    2 tsp baking powder
    3/4 tsp salt
    2 tsp vanilla
    1/2 cup peanut butter
    Mix all ingredients and stir well. Spread in 9X13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

That original recipe was too cake-like for me, so I changed the milk to only 1/3 cup and upped the peanut butter to 2/3 cups,
    (I also upped the brown sugar to 2/3 cups because I have a sweet tooth.) then I decided to a serving of hemp protein powder to it to add extra protein. It had a much better peanut butter taste at 2/3 cups. You might use the original and see what you think or play around with it. Then you can just input it into your MFP recipe box to get your nutrition facts. But if you love peanut butter,
    you might go ahead and increase it to 2/3 and see how you like it. It's pretty alterable to suit to taste. I suppose you could even add raisins or nuts or something if you enjoy them. I use extra crunchy peanut butter

Drool....i am making these next week they sound amazing :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    These only have 5g of protein (well, 6g if you use cow milk) but they are delicious

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1256733-cookie-dough-baked-oatmeal-with-pics
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    bump