5:2 diet

Options
hupsii
hupsii Posts: 258 Member
Hello,

Today, I wanted to start with this 5:2 diet. A lot of people seem to get great results. So, 500 kcals today and on Thursday (light breakfast & dinner only) and around 2000 kcals every other day. Unfortunately, already at around 10 am I got so dizzy that I had to get myself a coke. Who has tried this ? Same problems ?

Replies

• FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I also saw some info on this diet & everything looked like it produced amazing results. I was all ready to implement it. Then I came across this VERY detailed & informative article about how it actually produces NEGATIVE or bad results in women unless they are obese (30 or higher BMI, or 20% over ideal weight).

http://www.paleoforwomen.com/shattering-the-myth-of-fasting-for-women-a-review-of-female-specific-responses-to-fasting-in-the-literature/

Also, some people have conditions that make fasting difficult or almost fasting diets. I fast 1 day a week, for religious reasons & to give my body a break, but I do drink some skin milk & slightly sweetened tea, because of low blood sugar producing migraines in me. BUT I would definitely make it your goal to get off the sodas first AND the caffeine.
  • crippledvirgin
    Options
    People would rather eat 500 calories a day and starve themselves than do cardio. lol
  • MrsGraves1987
    MrsGraves1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm also trying this out for a few weeks. I was doing 16:8 and after looking around decided to try this out.

People have confirmed there are benefits to the plan - however I am indifferent as I haven't tried it myself yet.

Today is my day one, I will 'fast' Mondays and Wednesdays.

As I was doing 16:8 my body is used to not eating until 1pm every day. I went for my lunch break, but found I wasn't hungry (probably because of the 6 pints of waters I've already had today...) so I decided to save my food for on the way home from work.

I'll probably go for a walk/jog tonight so only light exercise, and I'll continue to log on non-fast days, just so I don't go overboard.

This may not work - at least I can say it's something I've tried :smile:

Good luck to you and feel free to add me :flowerforyou:
  • hupsii
    Options
    I also saw some info on this diet & everything looked like it produced amazing results. I was all ready to implement it. Then I came across this VERY detailed & informative article about how it actually produces NEGATIVE or bad results in women unless they are obese (30 or higher BMI, or 20% over ideal weight).

http://www.paleoforwomen.com/shattering-the-myth-of-fasting-for-women-a-review-of-female-specific-responses-to-fasting-in-the-literature/

Also, some people have conditions that make fasting difficult or almost fasting diets. I fast 1 day a week, for religious reasons & to give my body a break, but I do drink some skin milk & slightly sweetened tea, because of low blood sugar producing migraines in me. BUT I would definitely make it your goal to get off the sodas first AND the caffeine.

Actually I hate Coke, never liked the stuff but it gets your blood sugar up in now time LOL
  • hupsii
    Options

wow - just read the article and yes - all the good results I have read about were from men
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options

wow - just read the article and yes - all the good results I have read about were from men

Really glad this woman took time for such a detailed response (apparently she has a background in some kind of biology). After I read it, I felt relieved that I saw her article before I even tried the "diet."
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Here's some more information about women and fasting at Mark's Daily Apple. Some women shared their experiences in the comments as well.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/women-and-intermittent-fasting/#axzz2XntFDALa

I fast occasionally to help maintain my weight loss when I notice I've been eating a lot. I feel good after a fast and more mindful of the food I eat. I tried fasting as a weekly thing for weight loss but after a few weeks it became hard to do so I stopped trying to fast on a schedule and just do it now when it feels right/easy to do.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Fasting is a regular part of my lifestyle. I won't go into the details as MFP is extremely anti-fasting on any level, and there is a lot of ignorance and miseducation here regarding the topic. This just isn't the place to find support, or accurate info, about this topic. Know your audience.

5:2 diet however isn't really a true fast. It's just low calorie/high calorie cycling. Some do lose weight, and see the benefits of calorie-restriction that more and more studies are documenting. But keep in mind that the body reacts completely differently during a true, water-only fast and a 500 calorie "fast". For me personally my body reacts far better on a straight, real fast than it does on extreme restriction. Hunger is also a much bigger issue for some people when severely restricting versus completely eliminating.

If you have any major blood sugar issues, or live a life of very high carbohydrate consumption, that could be the cause of the dizziness thanks to a marked drop in blood sugar. People who come from a diet high in carb consumption potentially have much rougher transitions into something like the 5:2, or any other IFing, program thanks to a body that is in a constant state of high insulin usage.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Fasting is a regular part of my lifestyle. I won't go into the details as MFP is extremely anti-fasting on any level, and there is a lot of ignorance and miseducation here regarding the topic. This just isn't the place to find support, or accurate info, about this topic. Know your audience.

Agreed.

I, frankly, am somewhat surprised you were dizzy by 10am. Have you never skipped breakfast before? I, agree with the above have no problem with this WOL as I often can go until afternoon before I eat, and on especially busy days, until dinner. This is not starving myself - but on the contrary, fasting allows your body to heal because it diverts all of the energy it uses on digestion to other functions. I also like to do this on a Monday after an especially indulgent weekend. It resets my "clock" so to speak. I think the comment about a diet high in carbohydrates is also right on. If I eat a heavy carbo loaded meal, I am HUNGRY later on or the next morning. Like today - d*amn those handfuls of Bugles last night!
  • NathanFronk
    NathanFronk Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You were dizzy by 10 am?
  • liddy19
    liddy19 Posts: 7
    Options
    I've just started on this diet too, tomorrow is my first fast day and I'm planning on a small bowl of cereal in the morning and a tuna cous-cous salad in the evening. What did you eat for your light breakfast? If it was just a piece of fruit or something like that I can see why you'd get hungry quickly.
  • hupsii
    Options

5:2 diet however isn't really a true fast. It's just low calorie/high calorie cycling. Some do lose weight, and see the benefits of calorie-restriction that more and more studies are documenting. But keep in mind that the body reacts completely differently during a true, water-only fast and a 500 calorie "fast". For me personally my body reacts far better on a straight, real fast than it does on extreme restriction. Hunger is also a much bigger issue for some people when severely restricting versus completely eliminating.

If you have any major blood sugar issues, or live a life of very high carbohydrate consumption, that could be the cause of the dizziness thanks to a marked drop in blood sugar. People who come from a diet high in carb consumption potentially have much rougher transitions into something like the 5:2, or any other IFing, program thanks to a body that is in a constant state of high insulin usage.

Yes, I am a carb person...so that explain's it. Thanks for your input !
  • hupsii
    Options
    I've just started on this diet too, tomorrow is my first fast day and I'm planning on a small bowl of cereal in the morning and a tuna cous-cous salad in the evening. What did you eat for your light breakfast? If it was just a piece of fruit or something like that I can see why you'd get hungry quickly.

I had a banana and a bit of cheese. Apparently, you should not go over 500 kcals if you are a woman. But I had some salad at lunch. Just could not do without it.
  • hupsii
    Options
    You were dizzy by 10 am?

Yes, I guess my sugar level got very low as my breakfast was a banana and a bit of cheese.
  • Eandretta96
    Eandretta96 Posts: 119
    Options
    Making me rage. Seriously what is the point?!!!!! Just get into a 500 caloric deficit.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Making me rage. Seriously what is the point?!!!!! Just get into a 500 caloric deficit.

Perhaps if you did a little research on the plethora of information now available in regards to cyclical caloric deprivation and intermittent fasting you wouldn't be "raging" over a way of eating that, for some, has extraordinary health and weight management/loss benefits.

Your way isn't the only way. We all must search and find what works best for us.
  • Eandretta96
    Options

Perhaps if you did a little research on the plethora of information now available in regards to cyclical caloric deprivation and intermittent fasting you wouldn't be "raging" over a way of eating that, for some, has extraordinary health and weight management/loss benefits.

Your way isn't the only way. We all must search and find what works best for us.
    She said she felt dizzy by 10 am. That is enough evidence. Let's say you are at a 3500 caloric deficit at end of the week both ways. What is the point of feeling like **** the 3 other days if you are going to lose the same amount. Logic, not even once.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    The real problem is not being able to go without food for a couple hours -- she had to drink a soda to feel better! That's not a normal or healthy response to going without food for a few hours. There was no fasting going on at all here.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The point is that many people find it works for them, controlling their food intake just two days a week instead of logging and stressing every day .

Why be hungry all the time when you can be hungry two days a week, or as you restrict so much perhaps not even hungry at all.
  • Eandretta96
    Options
    I can understand that but it didn't make her feel better right?