'go-to' meals

Options
what are the meals you make when you are tired and just need to get supper on the table?

it seems we fall back on four stand-bys:
meatloaf
spagetti
grilled cheese and tomato soup
blts

Replies

• ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    ours are:

Tacos

Pizza

Spaghetti
  • Tandksmommy10
    Options
    Tacos
    Pancakes
    Pasta with sauce
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Um... Grilled cheese and chicken noodle soup/tomato soup. Tyson (frozen) grilled chicken breast and red potatoes with parsley and spray butter. Or we go to Moe's. :) Haha.
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Mine are a Chicken and veggie stir fry with brown rice, or baked Cod, mashed potatoes and a veggie.
  • CudyBug
    CudyBug Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    speghetti with ground turkey and whole wheat noodles lol
  • iamdesiderata
    iamdesiderata Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    -tuna on whole grain sandwiches
    -whole grain pasta with shrimp
    -stir-fry with whatever veggies i have and whatever protein is in the fridge
    -spinach, mushrooms, tomato and feta egg white omelets
    -grilled chicken and quinoa

all these are fast, yummy, and easy to prepare, and won't butt heads with the diet :) full of protein and veggies!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Tuna cakes (mix canned tuna with a little bit of egg white and any veggies you want to throw in like celery, green onion, onion, etc.) - I'll usually eat this with a quick tossed salad or any other quick side dish.

Salsa-topped chicken (usually pan-cooked) with salad or almost any other quick side dish

Main-dish salad with chicken or turkey, beans, seeds (sunflower, pumpkin) and various veggies tossed in. It's great for using leftover chicken/turkey. Doesn't take long to throw together.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    ground turkey,black bean,corn burritos
    grilled chicken,steamed rice and vegetable or salad
    roast, roasted potatoes,onion,bell pepper, mushrooms and squash, melon
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Grilled Fish and Steamed Veggies with Spicy Garlic Sauce. I always have that stuff on hand. Have gotten real good at getting it out on the table within the 45 minutes I am sometimes crunching for.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti

Taco Salad (sometimes without chips if I don't have them or corn tortillas to make homemade)

Eggs and toast or biscuits

PBJ :)

Grilled chicken (on the Foreman) and whatever veggies I have on hand (I usually at least have frozen green beans and corn in the freezer, or some fresh produce around)

In the winter I almost always have ingredients on hand to make chili as well.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Tuna cakes (mix canned tuna with a little bit of egg white and any veggies you want to throw in like celery, green onion, onion, etc.) - I'll usually eat this with a quick tossed salad or any other quick side dish.

Salsa-topped chicken (usually pan-cooked) with salad or almost any other quick side dish

Main-dish salad with chicken or turkey, beans, seeds (sunflower, pumpkin) and various veggies tossed in. It's great for using leftover chicken/turkey. Doesn't take long to throw together.

Totally should have added - I pan-cook the tuna cakes. I'm sure you probably knew that, but didn't want anyone to think you're supposed to eat it uncooked with the raw egg in it...
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    -spinach, mushrooms, tomato and feta egg white omelets

great idea! i don't know why i don't reach for the eggs more often. i really should.
  • godblessourhome
    Options
    Grilled Fish and Steamed Veggies with Spicy Garlic Sauce. I always have that stuff on hand. Have gotten real good at getting it out on the table within the 45 minutes I am sometimes crunching for.

this sounds awesome! would you share the recipe for your spicy garlic sauce?
  • godblessourhome
    Options
    Or we go to Moe's. :) Haha.

we do this too. i never make tacos anymore because there are so many authentic mexican places that i'd rather eat at. :)
  • godblessourhome
    Options
    roast, roasted potatoes,onion,bell pepper, mushrooms and squash, melon

can i come to your house for supper? this sounds awesome!
  • godblessourhome
    Options

Totally should have added - I pan-cook the tuna cakes. I'm sure you probably knew that, but didn't want anyone to think you're supposed to eat it uncooked with the raw egg in it...

love the idea of tuna cakes. we do salmon cakes or crab cakes, but i have never tried it with tuna.
  • Mrbackslap
    Mrbackslap Posts: 145
    Options
    Last resort chef boyardee smh

But I dont really care for much since im single i'll boil a chicken breast with a potato if I have too.
    Sounds gross but like they say if it tastes good it probably isnt good for you.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    A fritatta with 1 whole egg + egg whites, onions, garlic, mushrooms, spinich, feta, (or whatever else I have laying around). Quick, wholesome, nutritious!

Shrimp scampi - dump handful of shrimp (frozen-cooked with tail on) per person in tepid water, dry off and sautee in light butter or olive oil. After a minute or so to heat through, top with lemon juice and a sprinkle of fresh grated parmesan cheese. Slide under broiler for a moment to melt cheese. Have with Linguini pesto - whole wheat pasta and a scant teaspoon of pesto sauce mixed in. Fresh sliced tomato for veggie.

Chicken breast, trimmed and flattened, dredged in wheat germ and browned in either olive oil or using Pam. Drizzle lemon over it after cooked. Have with rice, or pasta or sliced on a salad. Usually have salad with this, either as a main course or side dish.

I make homemade pizza too, or meatballs with spagetti sauce and mozerella cheese, or breakfast - ie: buckwheat pancakes, scrambled eggs, turkey bacon, and fruit. Always a favorite in my house!

I don't eat fast food. None of the above meals takes more than 15-30 minutes to prepare. I have three children, work two jobs and maintain 2 websites. I don't have time to dilly dally around, lol.
  • suecq09
    suecq09 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've gotten pretty good at the Go-To meals for myself that are pretty good.

1) Poached chicken with leeks, carrots and onion in a white wine sauce. I serve with steamed rice and a decent sized serving is only 500 calories.
    2) Pan seared tilapia, steamed rice and green beans.
    3) Pan seared pork chops with mushrooms, served with with any sort of starchy side and a veggie.
    4) Chicken Florentine ( Poached chicken, sauteed spinach and smart taste pasta of choice.) Layer that that up and sprinkle with parmesean or mozzerrella.

Poaching chicken from frozen state is my new favorite way to cook it. It stays moist and retains alot of great flavor. I make sure to have chicken breasts and tilapia fillets always in the freezer. Makes things so much easier.

My biggest suggestion is something I started last fall that works amazingly for me. I spend most of Sunday cooking for the week. That way - after a long day, or when I have just a few minutes - dinner is only a microwavable plate away. I even do this with breakfast making omelet bakes or premaking pancakes. I also use my slow cooker alot - that way dinner is done when I get home from work.
  • tnords
    tnords Posts: 9
    Options
    I am big on the tomato soup and grilled cheese gig. Also I like having stuff to make salads.:happy: