need some motivation!!

Options
Hi all!

So, i need some motivation. My hubby leaves for work around 7:15 in the morning and gets back around 5pm. i'm not working or in school (job hunting and waiting to hear back about acceptance). So I spend the day by myself. Wanna hear how pathetic I am?

sleep in

make lunch & watch the Steve Wilkos show (love him!)

play with the wii

read/clean/scrapbook

journal time

possible nap

hubby gets home

i have the time to exercise i just need the motivation. Ya'd think me looking in the mirror and seeing how my body looks would be motivation enough....

Replies

• emmavisman
    emmavisman Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! I'm also looking for work and so i'm at home a lot trying to find motivation, but it happens! (eventually) I think of how good i feel after i exercise and eat well so i go outside with my ipod and jog to 5 songs that motivate me, (so about 20 mins, and i feel great after!) then i have a soccer ball and kick it towards the brick wall and have to run to wherever it bounces back to (it may not sound like a lot, but it really does get your heart pumping! 30mins of that can make you lose up to 200 calories!) exercises like that really work for me because im not really concentrating on the exercise, im concentrating at running to the beat of a song or just the song in general, and with kicking the ball im more concentrating on where the ball goes then the fact that i have to run there!
    also, the more you exercise the less you think about food so i try and exercise as much as i can!
    So for motivation, try and think about how much you will be disappointed if you don't lose weight by this time next week, or how you want to fit into your clothes properly otherwise you'll have to buy new clothes! (thats for me anyway! :O)
    Hope I helped...
    xo
  • nauticalman
    Options
    I have found the most effective way for me to stay on top of exercise is to join a team sport that you like. Mine being ice hockey. When you join a team sport, you make lots of friends whom you look forward to seeing, and when you're competing in the sport, you can't just stop when you want to like on a treadmill. Because I know my team is depending on me to play my best, and wining the game adds to my motivation, I give it 110%, rather than 60-70% in a gym. And believe me, an hour of exercise goes by fast!

Just thought I'd share that as my suggestion. Keep it up, stay healthy, live long and enjoy life!
  • LilLadyKatie
    Options
    Thank you :)

I know I need to exercise and lose weight. I'd love to be able to fit into my prom dress again. (sz 18). I felt fat in high school but I'd give anything to be at that weight again. i guess i just get really down and when im down im super super unmotivated. i wanna be skinny and i talk about/think about it all the time but....dont do much about it.
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Figure out what motivates you. For me I set rewards. If I get to X lbs then I am getting myself this thing, and it's something I really want. For some people it's joining a social gym group, it could be anything.

The bonus is once you start doing it you'll feel good and then if you stop you'll be like crap I felt so good what to heck happened. Then a lightbulb will turn on and you'll do it just because you want to feel good again.

and I'm not a Nike endorser, but just do it, just go for a walk one day. put in some tunes in an ipod or mp3 player, or just listen to the birds outside. Then notice how you feel after.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    you totally just explained me, except for the Wii and Steve Wilkos....mine is TruTV, A& E or ID....I am a murder who done it kinda girl....ok once in a while I watch Steve :P I have foot troubles so it makes it feel almost impossible to workout right now and my Gazelle though totally low impact can't handle my fat patootie at the moment........limit 250 and I am not that :tongue:

So where are you located? If it happens to be that we are up at the same time....we could meet up here and challenge each other to like a dance off.....or jumping jacks or situps or something. Another MFPer and I used to chat here and then go work out and then meet up......if the other saw the other online later or at the time they were supposed to be working out , we held each other accountable.........:noway:

Let me know if you are interested.........:drinker:
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    you should try to find an exercise buddy or join some type of exercise group, maybe a walking group. That way if someone is counting on you even when you dont feel like doing it you will make yourself, and it is much more fun to do it with someone.Hope this helps
  • LilLadyKatie
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the ideas!! :)
    I wish I had some friends around where I live. I would LOVE a walking/work out buddy. But I know very few people and those I do know are working and their schedules are just hectic. bleh! I should just quit the whining and start doing it, right? I mean, I wanna be healthy and in good shape. (not necessarily "skinny" but....curvy. not....rolly! lol)
  • LilLadyKatie
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the ideas!! :)
    I wish I had some friends around where I live. I would LOVE a walking/work out buddy. But I know very few people and those I do know are working and their schedules are just hectic. bleh! I should just quit the whining and start doing it, right? I mean, I wanna be healthy and in good shape. (not necessarily "skinny" but....curvy. not....rolly! lol)
  • lol katie, i wish i lived by you, then we could be walking buddies!!! I'm not working or in school right now, but i kind of enjoy it LOL I told andrew i would only work part time, because he needs to realize that he is the head of the house, not me haha. just try to jog in place for five or ten minutes, you'll be surprised at how many calories you can burn doing just that. even stretching you can burn calories.