Wanting to do my first 5k run need HELP!!!

Options
So I saw an advertisement on a Neon 5k run coming to my area Sept 7 but I have no idea where to even begin to prepare myself for this. What do I need to do? Is there anything special I should eat? How should I train? I feel i have strong passion for doing this. I have never done anything like this before so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• BAMarsh
    BAMarsh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Use the couch to 5k program
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Ditto the recommendation for the c25k, or any similar interval training. C25k took me from a complete non-runner to running 5k, and I was surprised at how easy I found it.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Definately C25K program, I used the Zen labs ap I finished a month ago and I never thought I would be able to run but I continue to run three times per week. It gets you into it slowly and builds up. I didn't eat anything different but on running days I did try to eat a snack an hour before (banana typically) just because I ran after work and before dinner so I needed a little something for energy. Get fitted for shoes and follow the program as it is (3 times per week with a day of rest in between) and you will be ready in time!! Good luck!!!
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, definitely use the couch to 5k programme. I've just started week 4 and its awesome. My 5K is on 21st September! Best of luck
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Just do it!! Especially if it's your first one. Run/jog what you can...walk in between. That's what I did for my first one. Now I sign up for the same one every year so I can get a check on my time on the same course. Most of those neon/color/midnight/glo runs are for fun anyway!! Just get a friend and have a good time.
  • motzy9866
    motzy9866 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    There are free apps 1. Called Run 5K and 2. 5K Runner. These apps will help you train for a 5K in about eight weeks. I highly recommend them. Good Luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Yup...C25K will have you there in about 6-7 weeks depending on the particular program...there are several out there. I used Zen Labs and currently using Zen Labs for my 10K program.
  • jlynneh91
    jlynneh91 Posts: 15
    Options
    Good luck! Having a goal in mind (such as a particular race) is great because you have something to work toward. I ditto the C25K, if you have a smartphone it's super easy. I could hardly run for 60-90 seconds at the beginning but at the end I could do at least 35 min w/o stopping. Get yourself to a good shoe store and have your feet fitted / get advice about the type of shoe that works best for you. I would have never guessed that I needed a larger size than what I wear my everyday shoes because your feet swell. I didn't know what I was doing when I first started, but now I have a 6K and 5K under my belt so that gives me super confidence.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    What an awesome goal to work towards! Couch to 5K is a great program!

You've got almost 10 weeks to train for this. C25k is a 9 week program so that's pretty perfect timing. There are several apps that will guide you if you have a smartphone. There are even fun ones like Zombies Run! Never used it myself but I've heard rave revues.

Hydration is key! Not only will it help defend you against exhaustion but it should help prevent those tummy issues that are common with runners. Also, considering the time of year, hydration is vital if you're going to be running outside. Which reminds me, it's ok to train on the treadmill but know there's a huge difference between running on a treadmill and running outdoors.

As far as eating goes, there's no need to carb load for a 5k but I do try to get a good mix of carbs, protein and fat for energy. My favorite picks are a peanut butter banana sandwich (banana, 1 or 2 Tbsp PB, deli thin or 1/2 flatout wrap) or homemade breakfast sandwich (2 eggs, deli thin, pepperjack slice). Some protein bars are good too - Pure Protein, clif Builders, Balance and Zone all make tasty choices. Bananas are also good for muscle soreness as the potassium helps with muscle soreness.

Most importantly, stretch really well! Oh and watch your speed...trying to run too fast is a common newbie runner mistake. Take it slow and easy.
  • hkmurphy83
    hkmurphy83 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I just want to throw in there like everyone else, download a C25K app. I too, like many previous posters, used the Zen Labs C25K Free (it has a breast cancer ribbon on the app icon) app on my iPhone. It is perfect. It allows me to listen to my own music. I'm currently on Week 6 and have made amazing strides. I went from being a totally NONrunner to being able to run 2 continuous miles. I still have a few weeks left to get to the full 5K. Also, like you, I have signed up for a Color Vibe 5K at the end of August. This is a 5K that I am determined to complete and I want to be able to jog the whole thing. You can do this!
  • pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    It's been said a bunch of times, but definitely check out couch to 5k.

I'm about to start week 9 (holy crap, I just realized I'm on the last week!) right now and it's fantastic. When I started I was in the 280s, and never run a bit in my life. Now I can run 28 minutes straight. I still can't believe it most of the time.

My first 5k is coming up in August.

Just remember to take it slow, listen to your body, and enjoy your rest days.

If I were you I would register for it now so you don't back out. Or even better find someone to do it with you.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I'm also training for my first 5K (October)-we can do this!

I'm going against the grain and not following the couch to 5K plan :) I already walked two brisk miles a day (5-6 days a week), so I've been slowly transitioning from the walking to the running. Right now I'm walking 1.5m and then the last .5m I run. Today I was able to run a bit over .5m without stopping at all and next week I'm hoping to get closer to a mile of non-stop running :)

It does seem daunting at first, but just a few weeks ago I never thought I'd be able to do a half mile, and here I am going a bit past that :)

One thing I've read is to really focus on your breathing when you're just starting out-this is much more important than speed. I've really been practicing breathing in from my nose and not panting/gasping for air lol. Seems to be working, as I now can do a .5m without being really winded at the end.
  • tnafaye
    tnafaye Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the help! I will let you know how I do!!!!
  • sw32606
    sw32606 Posts: 3
    Options
    Couch to 5k program - its an app you can add to your smartphone, Ipod or other electronic device