Cardio and strenghth training

Options
I have recently added strength training to my exercise routine. I do 30-40 minutes on the elliptical for cardio and I do each machine at the gym for 3 sets of 15 reps . Is it ok to do cardio and stength the same day? I'm also wondering how many days a week I should do the machines. TIA- Cindy

Replies

• LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I usually cut my Cardio down to just 10 - 15 minutes and I do it before I do the Strength Training. I don't know of any reason Not to do them on the same day. Always take at least One Rest Day between working the same Muscle / Machine. You could do different Muscles or different machines on consecutive days if you wanted to.
    For example do upper Body Mon - Wed - Friday & Lower Body Tues - Thurs - Saturday.
    I think you'd get the best results working each Muscle 2 - 3 times a week.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I usually cut my Cardio down to just 10 - 15 minutes and I do it before I do the Strength Training. I don't know of any reason Not to do them on the same day. Always take at least One Rest Day between working the same Muscle / Machine. You could do different Muscles or different machines on consecutive days if you wanted to.
    For example do upper Body Mon - Wed - Friday & Lower Body Tues - Thurs - Saturday.
    I think you'd get the best results working each Muscle 2 - 3 times a week.

How long have you been weight training? 15 reps is quite a bit. I'd look at raising the weight and lowering the reps...IMHO.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Use free weight, not machines. Lower reps, higher weight. Do compounds primarily.
  • WeightWatcherCindy
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice . I have been strength training for about 2 weeks . If I where to just do free weights I have no idea where to start . The machines are self explanatory . I will try raising the weight and doing fewer reps . I had most of the machines set at 30 pounds today .
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I do my cardio and strength training on the same day. There is nothing wrong with doing that. It's really going to boil down to what works for you and what you will stick to.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice . I have been strength training for about 2 weeks . If I where to just do free weights I have no idea where to start . The machines are self explanatory . I will try raising the weight and doing fewer reps . I had most of the machines set at 30 pounds today .

Look up New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's a book. You need it, it sounds like.