Prescription weight loss drugs?

Options
Several women around me have reported up to 20lb losses in a single month, so I go to them and say "wow you all must be doing something I'm not, let me in on the secret?" I mean all of a sudden four different women my age (some of whom were just massively pregnant recently and some were just always a bit bigger) are just dropping weight left and right.
And I find out it's pills. (By prescription) My doctor has mentioned them to me, so I could get them if I wanted but I'm unsure.
They essentially make you not hungry and energetic. However there are tons of side effects.
I feel really conflicted because I've been working so hard for so long to lose the weight that a month on a diet pill fixed.
I feel like I should keep doing what I'm doing but still feel like 'wouldn't it be awesome to just not feel hungry?'
Has anyone taken prescription diet pills ? Anyone currently on them ? Or just have an opinion to share?

Replies

• RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I did a course or two of duromine quite a few years ago and lost weight.

But then again, when I started regularly taking non prescription amphetamines (again, quite a few years ago) I lost weight then too!

As you say, there are side effects - the mental side effects can be particularly worrying.
    Try drinking 3 double espressos with 10 teaspoons of sugar for a test drive of how crazy they can make you feel physically and mentally.

While people do lose weight by taking prescription amphetamines, some also lose friends, their patience and the sane part of their minds (one of mine decided to stop taking them when he started screaming at strangers in supermarket carparks).

And when people come off them - because the weight has been lost or, like above, they are going a bit psycho - then the weight will come back on.

If you like to party/experiment with drugs then sure, I'd say go for it. They'll be better quality than what you get illegally.

If you enjoy feeling sane and balanced, then probably best to steer clear. Eat more egg whites if you want to not feel hungry.
  • JessKoeh88
    JessKoeh88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there. First time poster. I am currently on Tenuate which I got prescribed by my doctor. I'm extremely happy on it! Normally when I diet and exercise I feel like I'm starving all the time and I feel extremely fatigued. I also have the problem of not sticking with things, so I tend to decide to start to lose weight, do great for about a week and then its back to pizza and doing nothing. The medicine I'm on really helps me feel like I can avoid temptations. I honestly dont crave sugar or carbs anymore, and its great. For me, it doesn't suppress my appetite so much that I'm not hungry at *all* but it does enough to keep me from making bad choices and eating when I dont need to eat. I also notice i'm starting to get full sooner; I've been on the pills for almost a month now. Something else that I love about this medicine in particular is that my energy level is so much higher. The first week I noticed this the most and it made me want to workout because I had all this great energy! So far as of today I've lost 8 pounds. In order to continuing using the drug, I have to lose at least 4 pounds a month. Which for me is a great motivation factor in itself.

As far as if it's right for you, ultimately you have to decide that yourself! If you feel like you're doing great with the routine you're on, then I would suggest just sticking with what's working. But if you're struggling like I was to be consistent or you're always hungry and craving bad things, then it might be worth considering. I hope that helps!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    It's been discussed in a couple other posts on the boards over the last few weeks. It is basically a legal form of speed. A lot of people on it reported feeling like their heart was pounding out of their chest, irritability, trouble sleeping and a host of other things. As far as weight loss goes, a pill like this only works so long as you stay on it. It doesn't teach you the habits you need to keep the weight off, so many people regain the weight once they stop taking the pill. I personally wouldn't risk it. A deficit is slower, but it works, is sustainable over the long term and has no negative side effects.
  • kensomebody
    kensomebody Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It's been discussed in a couple other posts on the boards over the last few weeks. It is basically a legal form of speed. A lot of people on it reported feeling like their heart was pounding out of their chest, irritability, trouble sleeping and a host of other things. As far as weight loss goes, a pill like this only works so long as you stay on it. It doesn't teach you the habits you need to keep the weight off, so many people regain the weight once they stop taking the pill. I personally wouldn't risk it. A deficit is slower, but it works, is sustainable over the long term and has no negative side effects.

this guy nailed it. I worked at a doctors office and would see people on phentermine lose 20 lbs and give the med rave reviews. From what I've heard you aren't hungry, feel focused, and have lots of energy. However, it's not a long term drug and when they stopped taking it the weight came back every time. then they would go back on the pill, rinse and repeat. so while it would almost surely help you lose a chunk of weight, you would have to be really really dedicated to not fall off the wagon once the hunger pangs and everything come back after stopping the meds. In this case I think slow and steady wins the race.
  • admegamo
    admegamo Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    When ever I think of weightloss meds being prescribed by doctors, I always think of that movie "Requiem for a Dream".

I'm sure it's not always sad like that because that poor lady had a lot of mental issues as well BUT it bothers me enough that it scares me from trying such things.

I also think that there is only "one" way to be healthy - a good combination of diet and exercise.

However, if you only want to lose weight, then pill might work but maybe not forever. I don't think they will make you feel good forever either.
  • cherylelshaer
    cherylelshaer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I wanted to tell you about my experience with Phentermine. I bought a Groupon for a nearby weight-loss clinic. I went to them and for $99 they weighed me, gave me a b12 shot and 30- day supply of Phentermine and and a 30-day supply of Calcium Pyruvate. Seriously, so easy to get that it made me kind of suspicious. Anyway, I was told I would experience dry-mouth and extreme thirst, which I did and it was no big deal. Here is the really REALLY bad part...it made me a raving b@$&h! NO ONE wanted to be around me to the point where my family was like "what the heck has happened to you?" (they didn't know I was on these pills.) I didn't really notice it myself until the 2nd week on them, and then I was caught between being a nasty witch or being thinner. I decided that being nice to my family was more important and stopped them. I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks which was great. Then I thought that maybe I was taking too high a dose, so I cut each pill in half which also worked, but I was still pretty nasty and could still feel myself getting irritated over stupid stuff. So, I stopped them again...for good. Anything that is going to change my personality that much cannot be worth it. Honestly, even though I am losing weight at a snails pace now, at least I can say that I did it ALL on my own. Whether you decide to take the drugs or not is your choice, you will lose weight on them, but just keep in mind that there WILL be side effects and it is up to you if they are worth dealing with. Good Luck!
  • malbyrd
    malbyrd Posts: 8
    Options
    If you decide to use prescription weight loss drugs, tell your doctor ALL other medications you are taking. My daughter-in-law did not inform her doctor and she had some serious psychotic effects from her diet pills and depression medication combination. Happily the effects were short lived once she stopped the weight loss drugs. Now she is losing weight the old fashioned way, diet and exercise.
  • cddavis04
    cddavis04 Posts: 38
    Options
    I don't have any advice to give but I'll just share my experience.I'm on phentermine for the second time. The first was last summer. The first month I didn't feel a big difference I wasn't as hungry and I would get full faster. The second month I got more energetic, appetite diminished more and I felt like my heart was pounding at all times. The third month I lost my appetite completely most food I ate tasted like dirt, I became a happy, bubbly person. I didn't care that my heart was still pounding out my chest. My sleep time shorted from 8 hours to 5 hours a night. Since I had all this extra energy I started working doubles (16 hours) two and three times a week. I felt freaked out that medication had changed my personality and people kept offering to buy my pills. I felt like I needed my pills which also freaked me out. I maintained my weight loss because of mpf and exercise which I did the entire time I was on the pills. So, I'm going back for a second time because I feel like this tool to help me stick to my diet not a quick fix. Also I hope I won't get freaked out this time because I know what to expect and I have a really good doctor that actually talks to me about my cares and concerns not one of those weight loss clinics that just hand out scripts.