To drink or not to drink......that is the question?

Options
So I work in sales and my job means I am constantly out drinking with people all the time. I recently started dating someone on a drink driving ban and he introduced me to becks blue (alcohol free beer) which made me think - do I really need to drink?

Look I appreciate this isn't the biggest issue in the world however has anyone tried to give up drinking for an entire month? How hard is it? The issue is I really enjoy going for a cheeky drink after work and I know I am an all or nothing type of person.

Let me know your thoughts / struggles / what I should expect.

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I've never had a bad experience when I chose to order non-alcoholic drinks at bars.

Not sure what you're looking for here. I've gone without drinking for a month or more, but not really by intent. Just happens sometimes. Never during football season, but sometimes.

Probably want to address the "all or nothing" thought process. Moderation is important, especially when driving.
  • liannexxx
    liannexxx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    That probably is my biggest issue - it is literally all or nothing. I am a little worried about what my friends / family will say. Will I be bored? I probably haven't gone without having a glass of wine or a drink for 6 years......and I guess I am just a little scared that my life style will change.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what "all or nothing" means. Why can't you have a couple of drinks when you want and then stop? I wouldn't stop drinking, but that's my decision. You can drink without driving. I am not sure why you are intent on stopping unless you can't control yourself.
  • BeckyW67
    BeckyW67 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Not being able to fit a beer into my diet has been a big issue for me. My boyfriend and I enjoy beer tasting and drink finer beers for the taste. Not to get drunk. Please! Anyway, I have found Michelob Ultra for a daily fix works out well. Most other beers have well over two hundred calories, so they are limited in my diet. Everything in moderation until I reach my goal. :drinker:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    That probably is my biggest issue - it is literally all or nothing.
    That's something you can change you know. :smile:

I would say, in the interests of experimenting, why not? Why not try giving up for a month and see how you get on. If you find it's a nightmare, and you really do *need* to drink, then that will be useful information to work with. If you find it ok to go without, then at the end of the month you can add it back in - or not - as you see fit.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I went through a period of not drinking for about 6 months. Just got your classic "aw come on" from the friends but nothing legit. Peer pressure doesn't bother me though. For some reason I just didn't feel like it anymore. I'm certainly back to drinking again but it really didn't bother me to not drink. I did; however, get really bored of being around drunk people all the time. It's not very exciting when you're sober. Everyone just gets annoying. I don't have a problem with being a hermit though.
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    In my humble opinion, here are the biggest issues with drinking. First, upon consumption, it almost immediatly turns to sugar, and then fat (unless you're drinking while exercising, which is not likely but possible, especially if you're at a road house dancing your tail off). But bigger than that is it breaks down all your inhibitions. All of a sudden those chili-cheese-fries at the bar are looking pretty nutritious and low cal, and before you know it you've eaten 1,200 calories.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a drink now and then. But it pains me to think of logging 165 calories for one cocktail, or 120 cals for a glass of wine. My calories are too precious. If I give up 120 calories of healthy food for a drink, what is that doing to my body? Finally, it makes me retain water, puff up, and look swollen. I want my new-found-thin-face to look thin, not have a 3mm alcohol-induced puff under the skin.

I, the one who drank my whole adult life, gave it up all together about 5 years ago. That was the second phase of "how does a 240 lb. woman lose weight" and to be honest I don't miss it. I look back at pictures of me when I imbibed, and I'm puffy, not just fat, puffy as the Michelin tire man, and really not so healthy all around.

In my opinion, if you want a really nice glass of wine with dinner now and then, or need that shot of tequilla to get the courage up to go talk to the handsome guy across the dance floor, go for it. But if you're trying to find a way to be a regular drinker and lose weight, I don't personally believe it is possible while still maintaining balanced nutrition.
  • ksuetorres
    ksuetorres Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    If it's truly "all or nothing" and you can't give it up for a month -- or worry that you can't -- you probably are an alcoholic. Not all alcoholics are derelicts lying in the gutter! Dependency on alcohol is the key. If you think this is you, please get help right away. Alcohol ruins lives. (Had my life ruined by an alcoholic)
  • JohnMatrix
    JohnMatrix Posts: 59
    Options
    I suppose it really boils down to what matters most to you, going out for a cocktail or avoiding the empty calories that you've worked so hard to keep off (else why would you be on this site?). I don't mind a glass of whiskey or bourbon myself every now and then, but quite frankly I work way too hard to burn the calories and eat right to set myself back by drinking. I have a bar in my house that has enough alcohol to keep a drunk happy for days yet I haven't touched it or any other type of liquor in probably 6 months. Do I want to look good or suffer a setback? And yes it is a setback. People might think I'm overreacting, but if you have a hard time losing weight and you work your tail off for what you've got, it makes you think twice what you ingest. In your situation, you might be best curbing what you eat during the day to enjoy that drink later at night. Another slippery slope of course, but everything in moderation if you can't go cold turkey.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    If it's truly "all or nothing" and you can't give it up for a month -- or worry that you can't -- you probably are an alcoholic. Not all alcoholics are derelicts lying in the gutter! Dependency on alcohol is the key. If you think this is you, please get help right away. Alcohol ruins lives. (Had my life ruined by an alcoholic)

I think she is looking for more experiences with giving up drinking. She doesn't know how different things will be to be out with sales clients and not drink. I don't believe she mentioned that she couldn't give it up, she's just curious. I could be way off. It's better to be aware of an issue you may have than ignorant about it though.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    When I had a lot of weight to lose, I didn't find that alcohol substantially interfered with my goals so long as I kept it in check in RE to calories. Once I really started leaning out though...and now at a healthy BF%, I've definitely found that regular consumption of alcohol inhibits my ability to get to and maintain BF% in the mid teens, let alone getting into single digits.

It sucks because I'm a lover of all things beer....but when I really want to cut, I have to cut it out. Generally if I cut it out 5-6 days per week and only indulge in beer 1-2 days per week, everything is hunky dory. When I'm having a couple beers every night after work, not so much.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Its weird but I've always been way less puffy after drinking...I guess because I got rid of my water weight overnight. HAHA! I also pound water all day though before drinking (keeps me from getting hungover) too. I also am very active when I drink though. I always dance a lot or like to go for walks, or something. I can't just sit around and drink
  • liannexxx
    liannexxx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's tips. I wouldn't go as far as saying I am an alcoholic haha but I enjoy a drink. I am only 25 so if I give up drinking (especially in London when the weather is rubbish) this would probably mean a lot of weekends......watching everyone else get drunk / or just chilling inside.

I doubt I could "just have a couple" because I enjoy being out with my friends and wouldn't want to leave before the end. (No one remembers the nights they went to bed early etc)

What I have decided is to see how I get on for a month just drinking one night on the weekend and no longer drinking on client meetings. I reckon if I order a virgin Mary rather than a bloody mary no one will notice the difference and as long as I pay it shouldn't matter until later on in the evening when they are questioning why I am so sober.
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    Honestly, just do what you feel is best. My practice probably isn't healthy, lol but I drink like once a month but when I do, I go all out wastey, wastey. I look at is as a treat and I don't feel bad.