Significant Other at Races/Events

Options
OkieinMinny
OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
For those of you that run/bike/swim races/obstacle/mud runs etc -
Does your husband/wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/partner come to your events?

If so do they typically come to all of them, or select ones?

What makes them choose the ones they do come to if not all?

If they are there, are they there because:

There was no question and they wanted to be there to support you -

OR did you cajole them into going?

OR because there's beer there?

When they come to the event are they happy to shoot pics of you?

Do they hold up signs cheering you on crazily?

Or are they mellow and wait patiently for you to cross the finish line?

Thanks for indulging, Im just curious - I feel like I shoulda done a survey monkey!

Replies

• parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Yes. My family likes to attend, particularly if it is something new or a major milestone. If it is something long, they will time it to be there close to the finish line, depending on what it is.

My husband is an amateur photographer and loves to take pictures...when he makes it there in time to do so ;-)

No cheering signs. They are generally waiting at the finish line. At my Spartan this weekend, they thought they had missed me come across and waited a long time in the hot sun and crazy crowds. Still didn't find me, so they left. About an hour later, I came to the finish line and they were crushed that they missed it. They are happily anticipating the next one.
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    My man hasn't been to any of my events yet. He's supported me in other ways, just not by being present. He was supposed to come to the Spartan in NY, but ended up having a family commitment that I agreed he should go to instead.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I had lost a crap ton of weight. Go me. I was proud of myself. I signed up for my first 5K and wanted my SO to come with. His BFF of over 20 years would have been on the side lines hanging out with him too, so it's not like he would have been bored. It took me less than a 1/2 hour to run, but my SO at the time still didn't want to come. I told him that this was my first race, and that I'd have never been able to do this a year ago, and that it would mean a lot for him to come to my first 5K ever......and that I wouldn't ask him to come to any more after that. He still didn't want to come. We're not together anymore :)

ETA: That's not the reason we broke up. Just an example of some of the douchery I dealt with. lol. While I went to his boring *kitten* pool league matches every single Thursday, he couldn't go to this one event for me. Not worth my time!
  • Storey621
    Storey621 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My husband has been to every one of my races. He's typically the one who encourages me the most to register for them. He LOVES chasing me around the course in his truck trying to get the best pictures. but he is definitely the quieter one at the finish line. every now and then he will yell for me to run faster the closer I get. but typically not. He has always been a great support for me and loves the adventure and getting out of the house.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Went to a race today with my friend Tasha & her BF Rich. He did the 5k, we did the 10k. He stood at the finish line with his iPhone out snapping shots of us as we crossed the finish line. Afterward, we even skipped the BBQ & headed back to his place.

The BBQs at those events are always burgers, pop, chips, & hot dogs. Not the best food for JUST after you've finished a 10k race. Though... Tasha was the one that threw up in the bushes... not me!

... you know you've pushed yourself WHEN....
  • theologynerd
    theologynerd Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    My answer is the same as Krys'. My husband has never watched me. I think if we didn't have three kids, or even if our youngest was older (not yet two), he would probably come. But who wants to entertain kids in all kinds of weather, struggle to find parking, etc? I'm sure that one of these races, he'll come, but in the meantime, I'm just grateful that he tells me he's proud of me, and gives me time to train. I have a friend whose husband does all the cheering and sign holding. I think it's awesome, but when I accompanied him once during our relay, I thought to myself, "He's a better spouse than I am!" It was cold and rainy, and he was consulting with a map over and over for different spots to cheer... I am far too selfish and lazy for that jazz. If my husband was racing, I would give him a good luck kiss and say, "See you later!" Therefore, I'm quite satisfied that he does the same for me :)
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    My SO has never come to a race I have done. I don't expect that to change. I also don't expect him to be there. It's just not a big deal to me that he (or the rest of my family) is or isn't there.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I had to twist my husband's arm into going to my last 5k that was in Galion (thankfully one of my cousins also lives there so my husband and son weren't by themselves).

Out of the 9 I have ran, my husband and son has only attended 3. I typically run the events by myself (my husband doesn't run, and I don't have any friends or family that runs either) so they come to cheer me on. My husband and I don't see support in the same way. he feels that by paying them and encouraging me to do them is support as well as allowing me time to go running and training and I view support as him and our son being there to cheer me on at the finish line. No signs and typically I have either him take a picture of me at the end of the run, or I have the volunteers do it if i am there by myself.

The reason he doesn't like going to them is because he feels its a waste of time to watch me run especially if I don't place and feels that its inconsiderate to other people if our son acts up (mind our son is 17 months old) and would much rather sit at home and game and watch our son there. Also, exercise in general is not his cup of tea so he isn't into the running scene.
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    My hubby came to my first 5K to support me. He did the Color Run with me a couple of months ago. Other than that, he doesn't come just to hang out at the finish line. We had a toddler and the last thing he wants to do is try to entertain her until mommy gets to the end.
  • beatleschic87
    beatleschic87 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    my GF has come to every one of my races and is awesome support. Plus I'm usually too tired to drive afterwards so she helps out with that. ;) I love that I can see her at the start and finish line and just knowing she's close to me, gives me the energy I need to succeed.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    My husband has never come to my races and I'm totally cool with it. It's my thing and I'd rather be there on my own or with fellow runners. Kind of like hanging out with my girlfriends shopping or watching chick flix - it's definitely not something that interests him so why force him to join in?

That said, I do have to brag on him and tell you that he is my biggest supporter with running/racing. He may not want to join me but he's always happy to hear about my accomplishment and he encourages me to run when I don't feel like it.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    He's usually there, and usually photographing, which allows me write up super blogs afterwards,##But I only do 2 or 3 a year, so its not a big commitment.
  • mleech77
    mleech77 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    My wife didn't come to the Run for Your Lives, or the Warrior Dash that I did, but this year with me picking up Triathlon she's made it to a couple. Most importantly she secretly moved some of her clients around so that she could surprise me at my first one ever. I've told her not to do that for any of my others, so if they fall on a day she doesn't have a client she'll be there. As I move up from sprint distance to longer distances she's said she'll be at my first one of any new distance no matter what.
  • OkieinMinny
    Options
    Its so interesting to see everyone's responses and your feelings on it - for those of you with small kids I 100% get that! - NO way would I wanna wrestle a kid during that time!

For the record I have done 2 3-Day 60 mile walks and my husband showed up along the route 1 time each walk and came to closing ceremonies

I have done a few 5Ks and it never really dawns on him that I would like him there BUT only if he wants to be there (you know "I want you to want to do the dishes")

I did a few of those alone and I have just learned to do races with friends (even a few from here!) so I have some support there and Im OK with that

I did a Warrior Dash this past weekend and he played a golf tourney (I had registered more than 6 months ago) - that one did get to me and I let him know, so Im sure the next few obstacle runs he will be there whether he wants to or not snapping photos and wildly cheering - because you know "My baby wants lemons, I get her lemons"
    :tongue:
  • anyayz
    anyayz Posts: 6
    Options
    My fiance comes to all my runs. Then again he's usually my ride to the start line and from the finish :) However, he genuinely enjoys them mostly because he sees it as a kind of obstacle course trying to find me and gauge how fast I'm running and where I could be on the course. When I ran the NYC marathon he had an absolute blast using the subway system and trying to get to different mile markers. He said that it was a really fun way to discover the city and I think it helped that he found a White Castle Burger place while on his little adventure :)
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    My wife has come to each and every one of my races. She is my coach and greatest fan! I am truly blessed!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Wife usually runs them with me
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I typically sign up for the same events. We hang out together at the starting line until it's time to get in place, then he moves closer to the front. We don't run together because he's much faster than I am and I want him to be able to run his race.

Depending on the parking situation, sometimes he's run to the car after finishing to grab his phone and get a few pics of me crossing the finish line. Afterward we always recap the race with each other.
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    My husband came to my first 5K, but he hasn't come to any since then. It doesn't bother me if I'm running with a friend, but I admit that I feel let down when I run on my own and I have no one there to celebrate with or drive home with. I'm running my first half marathon in September, and I THINK he may be planning to go to that one.
  • OkieinMinny
    Options
    My husband came to my first 5K, but he hasn't come to any since then. It doesn't bother me if I'm running with a friend, but I admit that I feel let down when I run on my own and I have no one there to celebrate with or drive home with. I'm running my first half marathon in September, and I THINK he may be planning to go to that one.

Thats how I feel when Im running alone - its a bummer - so when are we moving to that compound!

My 12 year old wants to start running races and really wants to do the Warrior Dash next year, so that makes me happy!