Am I eating enough for p90x?

Okay sooo i am finishing up week 4 of p90x....i have replaced yoga x with a TurboFire cardio workout because i HATE yoga...i usually burn 6-800 calories with that workout alone....any who....on top of p90x i will go for a run and burn 300 calories....so ive been sometimes burning over 600-1000 calories a day in exercise alone....ive been eating 1700 calories based on the light exercise even though i workout 6 days a week.....ive done the TDEE thing and thats what ive been doing...but i dont seem to be losing that much weight maybe 1-2 pounds a week (YES i know thats healthy blah blah)....i just assumed that since i was burning so many calories that i would be losing more weight....i eat right and i count correctly....i even plan out my day...i usually avoid anything packaged or processed (with the exceptions of weekends)....my diet mainly consist of meat, veggies, and fruits....Here are my Stats based on the fitnessfrog.com numbers:

BMR - 1594

TDEE Light Exercise - 2191 = @ 20% TDEE - 1753
TDEE Moderate Exercise - 2470 = @ 20% TDEE - 1976

What do yall think? Should i keep eating where I am or up them or decrease them? Btw I have 36 pounds till i hit my goal and 51 till my ultimate goal weight =)

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    How do you feel right now and with a weight loss of 1 to 2 lbs/week given your current intake, what percentage of bodyweight is that for you?

For example, a 200lb person losing 1% bodyweight/week would be losing 2lbs per week.

Do you use a food scale?
  • FindingMyself24
    FindingMyself24 Posts: 613 Member
    I measure everything i eat....I weigh 176.6 (embarrassed by that number lol)...
  • FindingMyself24
    I feel fine...my energy is good too...im just impatient...i know its dumb...but i just feel like im working so hard....
  • SideSteel
    I feel fine...my energy is good too...im just impatient...i know its dumb...but i just feel like im working so hard....

I wouldn't be concerned about eating too few calories based on your answers to the above. I would keep doing what you are doing and embrace a 1-2lb weekly loss.
  • FindingMyself24
    Thanks!! I suppose i should continue to embrace it....i know losing it slowly is the best way....my calories burned are accurate too because i wear a HRM....oh well..lol...Im just impatient lol
  • SideSteel
    Thanks!! I suppose i should continue to embrace it....i know losing it slowly is the best way....my calories burned are accurate too because i wear a HRM....oh well..lol...Im just impatient lol

HRMs, while potentially useful, are still estimation devices.
  • FindingMyself24

hmmm....so they are not completely accurate?? I have a Polar FT4
  • SideSteel

They measure heart-rate and use it to estimate caloric expenditure. It is still an estimation tool.

I'd suggest you read this blog post by Azdak:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

EDIT: Let me clarify: I wouldn't get too concerned about it either way. You feel fine, your caloric intake looks reasonable and your weight loss seems right on target given your stats. All of these things tell me that you are doing fine. But the above blog post should explain HRMs.
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member

I wouldn't be concerned about eating too few calories based on your answers to the above. I would keep doing what you are doing and embrace a 1-2lb weekly loss.

I completely agree with above. Losing more than 1-2 1bs a week is extremely unhealthy. You are doing well. Plus you are not 'lightly active' by any means, so if I were you, I would change your settings to 'moderately active' and eat more.
  • FindingMyself24

They measure heart-rate and use it to estimate caloric expenditure. It is still an estimation tool.

I'd suggest you read this blog post by Azdak:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

EDIT: Let me clarify: I wouldn't get too concerned about it either way. You feel fine, your caloric intake looks reasonable and your weight loss seems right on target given your stats. All of these things tell me that you are doing fine. But the above blog post should explain HRMs.

Okay swew!! lol Thanks for the advice!! =)
  • SideSteel

I completely agree with above. Losing more than 1-2 1bs a week is extremely unhealthy. You are doing well. Plus you are not 'lightly active' by any means, so if I were you, I would change your settings to 'moderately active' and eat more.

Rate of loss is based on how much one has to lose. Her weight loss is currently right in the 1-2lb/week range or about 1% of bodyweight per week. Given this information and given that she feels fine as is and is not having any performance issues I don't think she needs to change anything.
  • hvnlykoi
    hvnlykoi Posts: 7
    On the p90x program it came up that I need to eat 2400 calories and fitness pal says I only need 1200 so I am confused about what I really need
    I also run 2.5 miles and walk .7 mi (trying to get to a 5k) M W and F
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    I agree with the other posters here, you are doing fine. If you start to plateau you may want to look into deducting BSR from your workout calories, but as long as you are loosing that 1-2 lbs a week don't change anything.